Any suggestions for Rifle training.

I just bought my first AR-15 & my first Mosin-Nagant. I shot them for the first time saturday and I was unhappy with my results. Of course I have never had any training with a rifle so what should I expect. I was looking for a rifle course I could take to improve my shooting. I was also hoping for something I could take my wife with me. She like shooting pistols but she is not sure about rifles. I live on the Northshore of MA.

I just bought my first AR-15 & my first Mosin-Nagant. I shot them for the first time saturday and I was unhappy with my results. Of course I have never had any training with a rifle so what should I expect. I was looking for a rifle course I could take to improve my shooting. I was also hoping for something I could take my wife with me. She like shooting pistols but she is not sure about rifles. I live on the Northshore of MA.

Kev, the next Appleseed in MA is May 22-23 in Leyden, MA (out just south of Brattleboro, VT). Click here to sign up, here for more info.

also if you go to an appleseed chances are you'll be able to arrange for someone to lend you a 10/22 if need be. I've only been to a half appleseed but everyone i met there was incredibly nice and extremely helpful. Can't go wrong attending one or several of these, i just need to find time to go to a full appleseed myself.

i just need to find time to go to a full appleseed myself.

Oh, my... do I hear an EXCUSE?

Here is the shoots coming up in New England for the rest of the year, KP. Here is the FULL schedule if you want to go somewhere else (and it also has the links to sign up on line).

So... what is your excuse now? [smile] [popcorn] Come on, Kid - you and Danbo hop in your car, come out to a shoot and help the rest of us start bailing out our sinking ship of state.

May 2010
Lake George , NY - May 15-16
Proctor, VT - May 15-16
Leyden, MA - May 22-23
Van Etten, NY - May 29-30

June 2010
Albion, NY - Jun 5-6
New Breman, NY - Jun 12-13
Bennington, VT - Jun 19-20
Chaplin, CT - Jun 19-20

July 2010
Burlington Flats, NY - Jul 17-18
Harvard, MA - Jul 17-18
Proctor, VT - Jul 17-18
Colebrook, CT - Jul 31-1

August 2010
Albion, NY - Aug 7-8
Bennington, VT - Aug 14-15
Harvard, MA - Aug 21-22
Van Etten, NY - Aug 21-22
Chaplin, CT - Aug 28-29
New Breman, NY - Aug 28-29

September 2010
Albion, NY - Sep 18-19
Burlington Flats, NY - Sep 18-19
Hartford, CT - Sep 18-19
Saratoga Springs, NY - Sep 18-19
Leyden, MA - Sep 25-26

October 2010
Proctor, VT - Oct 2-3
Albion, NY - Oct 16-17
Harvard, MA - Oct 23-24

December 2010
Colebrook, CT - Dec 4-5
Harvard, MA - Dec 11-12

+1000 on the Appleseed advice. It is EXCELLENT and cheap training.

Your wife will be able to attend for free.
Your fee will be $40 for saturday only or $70 for the weekend.

How's that. $70 for both of you to get 2 days of instruction.
If you complete a weekend appleseed you will shoot a rifle better than 95% of the people you see shooting at the range. NO JOKE!!

You can shoot the weekend with your AR. Of course you will save enough in ammo with a .22 to pay for a Ruger 10/22.

This is my rifle that I use for appleseed weekends. Its a Ruger 10/22 that I bought as a barreled action with a Shillen barrel and Volqhartsen trigger. I've got a total of about $400 into it.
DSC_1339.jpg

DSC_1345.jpg

My first appleseed I used this AR15 with a Spike's .22 conversion kit. It worked great with 5 spare black dog machine mags.

IMG_3836.jpg

Also, the guys who run it typically have spare rifles. If you need to borrow one, speak to one of the guys running the event ahead of time to "reserve" one for the wife".

Don
p.s. The cool AR style sights on my 10/22 are called tech sights, they typically sell and install them at appleseeds if you want a set.

Appleseed.

Another comment in favor of appleseed.

About the only ones who pay at an appleseed are civilian adult males.

Kids shoot free
LEOs shoot free
Active or past military shoot free
Women shoot free

These guys are the best. I've know of appleseed instructors who set up whole events to train Guardsmen heading out to Afganistan. All no charge.
There is no group of guys in the gun universe more deserving of our support.

Don

About the only ones who pay at an appleseed are civilian adult males.

LEOs shoot free

Uh... Not quite. LEOs don't shoot for free unless they fall into one of the following categories:

Unless there's been a change in the last week or so...

Anyone under 21 shoots for free.
Women shoot for free.
Active duty military shoot for free (need a current military ID - reservists are fine.)
Elected officials shoot for free.
Revolutionary War reenactors shoot for free if they are in uniform.

Last edited:
Uh, you just mentioned everyone that I mentioned, except for kids and veterans.
Actually their policy is looser than I realized. Anyone under 21 shoots free. You don't have to really be a kid. That is a FACT. Go to one of their signup pages to confirm.

Here's one for your convenience: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/512826879

I was wrong about veterans.

Back
Top Bottom