• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any Recipes for these green tomatoes I have?

I definitely second the fried green tomatoes idea, but if you've got time and patience, many a tomato will ripen in a sunny window. It's late in the season and the fruit isn't on the vine anymore, but you'll still get a ripe tomato that's pretty darn good.

Green tomatoes also pair nicely with tomatillos in a nice salsa verde. Just chop 'em all up, add salt and lime juice to taste, toss in some chopped cilantro and maybe something for some extra heat if you need it. Great with corn chips.

I definitely second the fried green tomatoes idea, but if you've got time and patience, many a tomato will ripen in a sunny window. It's late in the season and the fruit isn't on the vine anymore, but you'll still get a ripe tomato that's pretty darn good.

Green tomatoes also pair nicely with tomatillos in a nice salsa verde. Just chop 'em all up, add salt and lime juice to taste, toss in some chopped cilantro and maybe something for some extra heat if you need it. Great with corn chips.

Much faster than a sunny window is to put them in a brown paper bag and throw in a green banana. The gasses that the ripening banana gives off will hasten the ripening process of the tomatoes. Close the bag, wait a few days and check. This is what I have been doing for years. It really works! Note that some tomatoes will not ripen no matter what you do...good luck.

Much faster than a sunny window is to put them in a brown paper bag and throw in a green banana. The gasses that the ripening banana gives off will hasten the ripening process of the tomatoes. Close the bag, wait a few days and check. This is what I have been doing for years. It really works! Note that some tomatoes will not ripen no matter what you do...good luck.

Yes, that's true -- ethylene speeds ripening if the fruit can/will ripen. A banana in the bag is like turbo boost. We've been trying to stretch out the ripening process after having had to pull the tomatoes, hence the window.

Coastie: Pickled how? Vinegar-based quick pickling?

Kamal,

Check out some of the recipes here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=pickling+tomatoes&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

When I did it was probably 30 years ago, no idea where I found that recipe but it was before PCs, so no computer lookup. All that I recall is that they were awesome, just like I remember the old fashioned delis selling them from the barrel. Yes, they were vinegar based, used mixed pickling spices . . . and don't recall any other details.

This

We have pickled them and made fried green tomatos, making green tomato jam right now.

1 pound 2 ounces of tomatoes to 1.5 cups of sugar, zest and juice of one lemon. Slice tomatoes thin, layer them with sugar and let sit over night. then simmer for 2.5 hours with juice and zest. Put in sterilized jars, and boil for 15 minutes to can them. sould last for a few months in the jars.

As others said, banana or apple or both. They’ll turn red, but won’t taste as good as those ripen on the vine. The sugars won’t balance properly. Still better than tasteless store bought cardboard.

Put them in the bag and let them turn light green, whitish yellow or pinkish prior to pickling. I would not pickle those that refuse to start ripening in the bag. Chances are they have not reached size of “maturity” and in my experience do not taste good even if pickled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom