Any Navy/Marine guys ever spend time in Diego Garcia, Bahrain, Japan, or Okinawa?

I'll be sure to post some pics. From what I hear it should only take several days to post pictures (256k max Internet)

Well, orders have been cut... heading to DG in a few months. Any more input/experiences/horror stories welcome!

Well, orders have been cut... heading to DG in a few months. Any more input/experiences/horror stories welcome!
Make the most of it and best of luck to you! Post some pictures of the place when you are there if you have a chance.

Diego Garcia used to be one of the deployment spots for my old squadron. Not a horrible place to visit short term but I wouldn't want to stay for years. But then again I was always drunk or working on dets so as long as there were warm beaches to pass out on I was good.

Last edited:
Supposedly spent 5 days on Guam waiting to get picked up to go to Australia. Complete blur....

Spent a year on Okinawa. Just what they say.. you're either a drunk, PT stud or a church goer. I wandered off Camp Foster given the chance and went exploring. Good times visiting old WW2 caves and other sights gleaming with Habu snakes.

It's what you make of it, I guess..

Although I did deploy to Australia for 2 months of Laser Tag with their Military while stationed on Okinawa, I made the most of my time there.
explore, embrace the culture, try new foods, etc, etc. So many boots in my platoon were miserable. Not only was it there first time really away from the US, they were depressed they were gone for a year.. They would sit in their rooms or hang around the barracks and mope around
I set a couple straight one day. One Saturday early morning, I had them pack their backpack with water, snacks, change of clothes, and some $. We set off on foot and I showed them what the island had to offer and gave them a bit of a history lesson on the way. We then went to my favorite cliff jumping site, and had a blast diving and snorkling. It's a sub-tropical island so the marine life was incredible.

Anyhow, I had orders back to the States and after a while, I recieved a postcard from them thanking me for helping them out. They also got Scuba Certified on Camp Foster. They're also Facebook friends of mine and stay in contact.

If my girl had any interest in going, I'd be back in a heartbeat. Maybe my 14 month old will have interest and we can go back in a few years.

I'd do the year in DG. Anyone can do a year somewhere. It's better than a 3 year sea tour. Hell, if we can do a west pac we can do a DG billet. If I had stayed in I would have done it so I wouldn't have to go to sea again. I couldn't be any worse than being on a carrier was. And as far as the tail, just make up for it when you get back.

Okinawa for a year straight (all of 1997) and it was the pitts.
My little girl was 6 months old when I left and 18 months when I returned. What a big waste of time it was.

What ever you do, do not get into trouble over there as the prison in Naha is no freaking joke.
Hard labor with fishheads and rice, you'd never survive it. The average American is only expected to live like three years in there.

We would think that a full 60 years after their last war that Japan could be trusted to have a sizeable Army, Navy, and AF. But nope, the JDF is small (real small). I say let them defend themselves.
Better still let the a**h*** government of Japan pay for it not the U.S. taxpayers.

And yes I got to leave Okinawa while I was stationed there, 45 days at sea on an MPS ship. I saw Quam, Sipan, Australia, and French New Caladonia. I still had a lousy time over there.

smitty

Last edited:
I liked Okinawa, but I was also a dependent. My dad was stationed on Kadena (CFAO/NAFK) as a MA and he didn't really like the duty from what I remember...but I think that it was more command related than WHERE it was.

Of course, this was in 1985/86, and even then, they didn't really want us there. I've heard things have gotten even worse. They protested shit out of Kadena and White Beach anytime anything nuclear came around.

You're correct about Okinawa.I was sent to Camp Hanson there when they pulled the Third Marine Divison out of Nam in 69.We spent two and half of the three day ride on the converted air craft carrier in a typhoon then landed on the worlds largest toilet bowl.I'm told that they still have binjo ditches in the towns there.Of course if you don't mind sharing the showers with reptiles, snakes and such who are there because of the damp concrete floors,and you don't mind the smell of the binjo ditchesyou might enjoy Oki. Sorry you won't get to experience what it's like to relaise that you are in the middle of the entire 3rd Mar.Div.after they've realised that are still alive and in Oki's version of civilization. That was a hoot.
I wish you well with your next duty station and assume that if given a choice you won't choose Oki.
Wherever you go please know that we back here are always thinking of you and will always appreciate your service.

Each place has its unique good and bad points.

By far my personal favorite is Japan, spebt 3 years in a small base called Kami Seya in the late 90's.

Dgar...great fishing, fun hanging with the brits, mostly laid back...1 year..could go crazy, the saying is you come off DG as a Hunk, a chunk or a Drunk.

Bahrain..good money, lots of issues. We had guys come off of a 6 month tour with up to 30,000 usd in their pockets.

Okinawa, only spent a few months there. Not bad, good diving, lots of liberty restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom