Any help with identifying this ammo can

My neighbor wants to know the time period this ammo can came from. I don't think it's very old.
55a35e28895a935ca4574f85a8f5ab24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My neighbor wants to know the time period this ammo can came from. I don't think it's very old.
55a35e28895a935ca4574f85a8f5ab24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know much about ammo cans my dad called those M19 cans as a kid. primary use was for belted machine guns I think these are post WWII design ?
30 call M2 ball was introduced in the late 30s, 5 round clips of M2 are for 1903/1903a3/M1917s So at some point it was repacked could be old surplus repacked at some point or a copy of a can ?

Last edited:
Likely 30.06 ball ammo loaded on 5rd clips in bandoliers for the 1903 Springfield rifle.

Likely repacked over the years to the can from original packaging.

They also spelled "bandoleers" incorrectly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1903_Springfield

Is it ? so our US military spelt it wrong all those years ? [smile] I think it can go either way bandoleer is english vs french BANDOULIÈRE or spanish bandolero

the lot number doesn't seem right. Its unlike any lot number I've ever seen on an ammo can with M2 in it. I think its something someone made up to look cool.

Last edited:
bandoleer or bandolier are the accepted spellings. The ammo head stamp or bandoleer markings will only date the can to the most recent military use, not the original. The can lot numbers might be able to be traced but there were a gazillion of those from 1903 to post Korea.

I have only seen M2 on clips in sealed tins
https://www.google.com/search?q=M2+....6290691557117&bih=451.4553748051796&dpr=1.33
Do you have any of the ammo or bandoleers the bandoleers usually have the lot numbers and such on them also.

They came in 30 cal cans too. I have some LC in enblocs and HXP in 5rd strippers both in original 30 cal cans. Looks like these below and you can tell what's in it by the stencil on top.
These are enblocs and the 5rd strippers are just 5 dots in a row stencil.

Box_059.jpg

cool I miss getting crates with the ammo orders. I have not had any that mark the top of the cans like that though.

Meaning easier to strip single rounds off strippers than enblocs to feed it.

yeah that's true. Certainly quicker than fighting with the enbloc. Plus you don't have most of the rounds drop out of the stripper clip when you remove the first 2 rounds.

yeah that's true. Certainly quicker than fighting with the enbloc. Plus you don't have most of the rounds drop out of the stripper clip when you remove the first 2 rounds.

There's a Korean war vet , sniper at our club. He showed us one day how he loaded his A4 in a hurry.
He took a clip of 5 out of his pocket. With the bullets grasped in his hand he caught the edge of the clip on the trigger guard stripped off the cartridges and proceeded to load the cartridges....fast . They just rolled out of his hand thumb was like a machine....he did say when he was shooting round after round he would just single load. Which he does well also.
Gets 10 rounds off faster than,most of the garands at cmp shoots.

Wow that must have been an interesting demonstration. I was shooting a lot of rounds with mine when I first got it and I started doing the single round loading too just because it was quicker or just as good as loading the 5 in the mag. I'll do the same with the Garand once I run out of loaded clips. Got pretty good at single loading it and releasing the bolt one handed.

Back
Top Bottom