Any experience applying for CT Non-res permit?

P

Phaedo1982

I need to apply for one; I currently hold a Class-A (unrestricted) LTC in MA. Is CT similar to the NH non-res process or is it more involved. (Yes, I will look it up myself, but wondered if anyone had thoughts/experiences to share...)

Not as simple as NH, but MUCH easier than MA.

IIRC - if you have an LTC-A which is unrestricted, there is no questions about CT issuing you a permit.

Good luck. Get FL too and with MA, FL, CT, and NH you will be able to carry in at least 36 states.

pretty straight forward and takes about 6 weeks. You will need to get fingerprints done and passport photos, and have a copy of your safety cert.

Keep in mind that the CT non-res app requires a potentially different safety training course than the MA one.

You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.

Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Any questions should be referred to the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit.

When I applied for my license, I took the basic firearms safety course at AFS in Attleboro. Does anyone know if this course would be accepted for the CT permit?

Thanks,
Steve

As I understand it, any course that satisfies the MA LTC requirement and includes a live fire portion will satisfy the CT requirement. If your course included live fire, it will be accepted.

There was a thread on this a bit back but basically one of the members stated they went to a SP barrack. Filled out and application, showed his MA LTC and drivers lic. paid the money. The SP officer took his picture and handed him his permit. 15-20 mins.

Per the handgunlaw site:
Connecticut (Can be obtained by Mail)
Non-Residents:
You must Contact the "Special License and Firearms Unit" of the Connecticut State Police at 860-685-8494 to request and application. Applications and instructions are not available on-line . Connecticut is very close to being a shall issue state and if you can obtain a permit in any other state you will most likely be able to obtain one in Connecticut. The Non Resident Connecticut permit is the only permit that allows a non resident of Connecticut to carry in Connecticut. Applicant must reside in the United States to apply for a permit. US citizens living abroad can not apply.
You must reside in the United States to obtain a CT non-resident permit’

Got mine maybe 6 months ago. Got it much faster that stated on form. Make sure you follow directions to the "T". 2 money orders, finger prints (2 sets i think), safety course cert, passport photo (cvs) notory for sigs and copy of MA lic.

I have a state police safety course and it work even though they asked for a NRA course, if I remeber right.

Good luck!

I will add that with the CT Permit you can buy long guns here..they will simply call in your permit number to the CT State Police..I will make an assumption (prob a bad idea) that most long guns for sale in CT are legal in Mass...i know clips/mags are a whole diff issue...in case you see something on sale or want to save .25% sales tax..haha

Back
Top Bottom