• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Any exemption for...

I own several, say FIVE, handguns that are not transferable via FFL. Say I die, and my wife needs to sell them. She has no LTC. I know there is a process she can follow to legally liquidate these firearms. My question is how could she legally sell the FIFTH non-AG compliant model if these are only transferable via FA-10?

I own several, say FIVE, handguns that are not transferable via FFL. Say I die, and my wife needs to sell them. She has no LTC. I know there is a process she can follow to legally liquidate these firearms. My question is how could she legally sell the FIFTH non-AG compliant model if these are only transferable via FA-10?

Well, one thing to remember, is they ARE transferable, just not
to another MA resident. So it would be possible for her to "FFL out" a
gun to someone else, sell it through an NH FFL, etc. While this still
sucks in regards to recovering full value, it is an out.

Another possibility may be that she can temporarily allow a friend
who is an LTC holder to posess the 5th gun while she waits for the
calendar years to roll over, so she could sell up to 8 guns that
way in the space of 2 years. (this way she would not be afoul
of the law, even if she had to wait a year or a few months to roll
over the 5th gun ) Note that -lending- is not a transfer of
ownership. (and that's why it doesn't require an FA-10).

Mess around with the search thing a bit.. I seem to remember some
huge thread on here about estate inheritance methods being
discussed.

-Mike

Sell 1-4; wait until January 1st rolls around; sell the the remainder. Just be sufficiently thoughtful that you die farily late in the year so that she doesn't have to wait too long.

Ken

Apples and oranges. The 4 transfers/year applies to licensees, not those probating an estate, for whom there is no such limit.

Go here: M.G.L. c 140, § 129C(n).

If they are not specific bequests, an FFL could dispose of them by purchase, consignment or auction, subject to "The Roster's" effect on in-state sales if you have guns not approved and not documented to have been here prior to 1998.

Last edited:
IANAL, but I seem to recall that the answer is here in a lengthy thread (an Advanced Search in Gun Laws sub-forum on "inheritance" should find it).

Bottom line that I recall (VERIFY, I may not be right here . . . this is from memory) was that inheritance was treated differently and not bound by the 4/year boundary (assuming that the FA-10s were done just right).

I suppose that if you want to cover some of those MA nasty guns, you could leave specific bequests. In addition, if you have guns that are papered as having been in-state prior to Oct 98, leaving specific instructions as to the location of such paperwork and what to do with it for your spouse/executor.

Would that not allow private transfer of guns not now on the "List?"

Back
Top Bottom