Another reason to hate the .40

When I was about 8-9 years old, my dad who was a wonderful tinkerer, told me (on the subject of automatic transmissions...... He was a proud "gotta shift it" kind of guy...):

"You go to the junk yard, and the majority of cars there, sitting and rotting away are automatic transmissions. See how junky they are!"

I knew even then, that Kicker's kind of logic is more correct. There's so much brass on the ground because so many people shoot it.

Time to give up the "Ford is better than Chevy" debate.

Buy a gun that does what you want it to do, reload for it, and practice till you can feel confident in being able to hit what you want to hit.

Be happy.

The OP was about brass getting stuck in other brass. It happens in all calibers, all the time, for most of us. It's a part of reloading.
Get over it.

John, I really hope that your opening post was a bit tongue in cheek.

John, I really hope that your opening post was a bit tongue in cheek.

Of course it was tongue in cheek (at least the part about hating the .40). When Eddie Coyle started bashing the .40 I jumped on the bandwagon for two reasons:
  1. I enjoy all the exploding Glock humor e.g. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/58690-Glock-grenade?highlight= and most of the exploding Glock issues were with the for-tay.
  2. I was a new shooter and had shot .9mm, .45, .38 Special, .357 Magnum then a friend let me shoot his compact Glock in .40 S&W and the recoil was by far the most punishing of them all. I remember thinking, "I don't like the .40 it is just too snappy." It was a long time before I realized this was more caused by the compact Glock than by the .40.

On the .40 brass being so prevalent at the range I have a different theory. I find more .40 S&W than anything else on the ground at the ranges that I visit. I believe there are two reasons for this:
  1. People only pick up what they reload and so the .40 gets left along with the .22 brass. I notice on the brass trading thread that no one is looking for .40 brass.
  2. Police officers practice with their issued pistols and their government-supplied .40 ammo and since they don't reload the brass is left laying around when they leave the range.

On the .40 brass being so prevalent at the range I have a different theory. I find more .40 S&W than anything else on the ground at the ranges that I visit. I believe there are two reasons for this:
  1. People only pick up what they reload and so the .40 gets left along with the .22 brass. I notice on the brass trading thread that no one is looking for .40 brass.
  2. Police officers practice with their issued pistols and their government-supplied .40 ammo and since they don't reload the brass is left laying around when they leave the range.

I agree.

I don't take the caliber war thing seriously either, but most .40 shooters are not reloaders in my experience. Or if they are, they don't go out of their way to pick the brass up.

BTW. I maintain that the .40 hate comes from the fact that it's mass adoption more or less commercially killed the 10mm, which was always beloved by firearm enthusiasts.

Last edited:
I believe there are two reasons for this:

3. People that shoot the .40 have a "Someone else will take care of this" attitude.

For a number of years, I was partly responsible for the upkeep on the range where Exousia shoots, and what he says is 100% true. The brass bucket would be full of .22s, .38s, 9mms, and .45s... and the .40s would be all over the ground.

It got to be a running joke between me and my kids when we went down to clean up the range - "Dad, should I clean up the targets or pick up .40s?"

ETA: I think that lots of people that have only one centerfire handgun own a .40, and therefore get easily butt-hurt when someone makes fun of it.

Last edited:
At the end of the day at my club, there is no brass in the buckets or on the ground. It gets very well cleaned up by armies of clean freaks.

The target papers are removed from backers. Backers replaced often, etc. Even the DUDS boxes are checked, and made safe. Trash is removed to nearby dumpsters. I'm very proud of my club in that regard.

As for me you can say anything you want about any cartridge that I shoot BUT you better not say anything negative about my beloved .45-70 Government.

As for me you can say anything you want about any cartridge that I shoot BUT you better not say anything negative about my beloved .45-70 Government.

Amen to that. My 45-70 rifles are the most fun round to shoot for me, and it is easily the most versatile round I reload. Heavy bullets, light bullets, cast, jacketed, black powder, rifle powder, pistol powder...load it up, load it down...it does it all well. I'm starting to think I could build a half decent round using sawdust and pipe tobacco.

I have been looking at getting a H&R single shot rifle, because I can get them to put interchangeable barrels on cheap. You could get a gun with three barrels for the cost of one T/C Encore.
They have a 45-70 barrel, and also a .500 S&W Magnum barrel. I was thinking of BOTH barrels, plus a third, 45 LC

However, everyone who has both the 45-70 and the 500 mag barrel tell me that the two are virtually the same, only in terms of power, utility, etc. I understand that the two calibers are not the same, nor interchangeable. The point is that they can DO the same things. So, I'm skipping the 45-70, and sticking with the 500 mag barrel.

Now, if I can only get them to make a 45 LC only barrel (they only produce a combo barrel 45 LC and .410 3" shot shell). The issue with the combo version is the 3" distance from the face of the bolt to the beginning of the rifling. And, I hate the idea, on the other side of the coin, of sending .410 shot down a rifled barrel. Maybe OK for a short barreled hand gun (Judge), but there's no accuracy with a long gun.

Sorry to have taken the name of the 45-70 in vain............

However, everyone who has both the 45-70 and the 500 mag barrel tell me that the two are virtually the same, only in terms of power, utility, etc. I understand that the two calibers are not the same, nor interchangeable. The point is that they can DO the same things.

So what you are saying is S&W should have just built a revolver for the .45-70 instead of creating the .500. That I could get into. [wink]

Given that the 45-70 is such low pressure round, I wonder how it performs in a revolver? I keep hoping I'll run into a 45-70 BFR owner (although I'd prefer a DA)

I've been tempted to get into loading the 500. Ideally I'd get a revolver and a lever gun chambered for it (plus all the reloading & casting stuff).

Marlin doesn't make a lever, but this is pretty intriguing, despite its near $2k price tag.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/

photo.php

I know if I start, I'd get in deep [thinking]

Say you have three vehicles, a sportscar, a weaksauce Taurus with the small V6 and a crew cab diesel pickup....

Guess what happens to that Taurus- you will get rid of it because it's pointless and doesn't do anything the other two
won't do way better. .40 S+W is like that "crappy taurus". In a field of others it becomes pure, concentrated "meh". It's a snorefest masquerading as an autoloading pistol cartridge.

-Mike

Mike, was that intentional or a Freudian slip?[rofl]

I don't understand all this 40 knocking. I have been shooting 40 for over twenty years and it is my favorite centerfire pistol cartridge. 40 is the ideal caliber for USPSA Limited class and some other divisions as it is the minimum caliber to make major in all but Open class. 40 can be reloaded for less than 45 and can duplicate its performance in a 1911 platform when used in practice and matches (I am not suggesting that 40 is the ballistic equivalent of 45).

Cheaper than the 45 to reload, free brass on the ground at your local range. What's not to like?

Back
Top Bottom