Another new reloading set up

The Goose

NES Member
After reading every post I could find on the subject, on this and other sites, and reading several books I finally took the plunge and put my own set up together. I am pretty satisfied with the result.

First of all I wanted to start loading for my .45-70 so for right now volume was not really an issue. I settled on a Lee Four Hole Turret Press with the 3 die set and a factory crimp die. My sole regret of the entire process was that I bought the kit instead of just getting the Classic Turret Press. I should have gotten the better press, the kit is BS. As soon as I got the kit I realized that the powder measure would not throw large enough charges for the .45-70 and the scale did not impress me. So I sprung for the RCBS 1500 electronic scale ( I love it). I also bought a set of Lee powder measures. I weigh all of my loads, but the measures will get me within a grain and then I use the Redding trickler. Very handy.

I also opted for Frankford Arsenal Electronic Digital Calipers, my old eyes see the numbers on the screen better then on tiny dials. Same rationale on the powder scale. Dillon bullet puller has already come in handy and is easy to use. I also bought a cheap ($20) Lee single stage press with a universal decapping die. I really like this set up. I drilled a hole through the bench and hung a bucket under the press. The old primers just fall into the bucket and no lube needed on the cases. Today I decapped 100 empty cases in less then 10 minutes. Tossed the cases in my new Thumler's Tumbler, went out and a few hours later shiny new looking cases. Not much noise and it does not walk on the bench at all.
Not shown are a bunch of plastic ammo boxes with labels and some case preparation tools. I did realize today that I need some sort of sifter for the tumbling media if I do not want to dig through it by hand.

The whole process has been extremely enjoyable and now the actual reloading and subsequent shooting is even more fun. Yet even better is that when I added up the cost of all of the gear, plus brass, bullets, primers, powder etc. (enough for more then 1000 rds) the total is well under $1,000.00. The cheapest .45-70 ammo I have found is $26 for a box of 20 which would be $1,300.00 for 1000 rds., and most of the really good ammo is quite a bit more. The one time equipment investment and multiple brass re-use make this really fun activity also quite economical. I know that you guys already know this, but as a newbie this is pretty exciting stuff. AND I GET TO SHOOT MORE! WOW!

Sig239004.jpg

Sig239003.jpg

Sig239002.jpg

Sig239001.jpg

fantastic

The black hole welcomes you. One suggestion, tumble first
the deprime... the media gets stuck in the flash hole if you don't.

"sooner or later you'll get a dillon"

JimB

The black hole welcomes you. One suggestion, tumble first
the deprime... the media gets stuck in the flash hole if you don't.

"sooner or later you'll get a dillon"

JimB

Thanks for the tip. I had to clean out the flash holes with a pin.

Also you are right. I will be getting a Dillon eventually, when I start loading for handgun. I am still glad that I got the Turret for the .45-70 as that can remain a stand alone set up and is adequate for the volume.

I have the H&R Buffalo Rifle and it is fun. It gets better when you start casting your own bullets for it.

Nice setup you got going- best of luck with it. I just recently starting reloading also and its a hell of alot of fun to feel the sense of accomplishment when bringing your own loads to the club.

We have to meet up some time to plink at the range ... Im trying to get my friend to get a membership right in Burlington/Woburn so I can go after work but he is dragging his feet.

This is my sort-of-new reloading set-up. I actually had the bench made before we moved into the house. I built the bench like a deck off the wall. I just added a 1050 to my bench this weekend. It is amazing. I still love the 650, but for the one caliber machine I want, it doesn't get any better.

reloadingbench.jpg

good going Steve. I still haven't setup my rig yet. I'm having a problem trying to figure out where to put it. One of these days, I'll be loading my .45-70 !
[smile]

C'mon Dennis you got to get going. Reloading adds a whole other dimension to shooting. Although I may need shoulder replacement surgey soon!

Back
Top Bottom