Another Moisen-Nagant Thread

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
In a similar vein, I am considering getting my own MN 91/30. Having shot a friend's Tula, '42 I think, I was comfortable with the heft. I like the color of the stocks, but that straight bolt is a b****. Besides what's a little animosity in the gun cabinet - my Mausers need someone to tease.

I'd like to start a little chit chat about what variations there are, what venders are reputable, etc. I heard that Tula is preferred over the other Ishavek arsenal, hex reveiver over round, etc. Pre-war versus war date, etc. I know prices are around $90-150 depending on style. I also have heard the supplies are getting thin, hence this post.

MajSpud

Last edited:
We had a group buy not too long ago - I believe the shipment came from a place in the Land of Oz, where happy dreams come true and was DELIVERED TO AN FFL IN CONNECTICUT WHO IS A MEMBER ON THIS BOARD and as I recall there were some very nice rifles in the crates. You can probably find a few pictures and comments in that thread, if it's still around.

There is a great online reference to the MN's here: http://7.62x54r.net/ - which should answer a lot of your questions about features and scarcity.

Last edited:
Did some fixing...whoops, sorry about that. Maybe they didn't come from that place, but I have some of their MN's and no complaints about the quality.

you cant buy just one

One thing about Mosins......ya cant buy just one. You will start with a 91/30 then a M38 then a 91/59 then a M44, then a 91 then onto to the Finns, M27,28,29,28/30 and so on...its habit forming but a whole lot of fun!!!!

I never gave milsurp bolt actions a second look. What I turned my nose up at over the years would make a grown man [crying]

Then, on a whim, I bought a Mosin M-44 at a local gun shop. The ones on the rack were in good shape, but Pat had just received one back from a customer who did not want to put the time into cleaning it up. What lay beneath the black haze and cosmolene, was a gem - a beautiful rifle - it was like going back in time, it looked so new. Now I have two and unless I find something really unique, my M-44 and 91/30 will be about all I buy, so I haven't been bitten by the bug like some...Still, these two rifles are among my favorites. As to the bolt being a bitch, all it takes really is technique. I seem to remember watching Vellneuve shooting his at an NES shoot and picked up on how to smooth transition between rounds. I just fire, then drop the but from my shoulder a bit and the bolt is much easier to manipulate. Trying to keep the rifle shouldered and action the bolt, is hard, so dropping it from the shoulder makes it easy. Out of the two, my 91/30 is more accurate - I was hitting clay pigeons at 100-yards at the NES Car Shoot. I can barely hit a tree with my M-44, (still need to work the sights), but it is WAY more fun to shoot....The short length, bayonet, noise and the garbage can flameball make this gun a hoot...Don't pass on an M-44 if you find one....

Yeah, the Mosin bolt really doesn't lend itself to being manipulated while shouldered, not like an Enfield or others.

Next time there's a car shoot, make sure you bayonet the car.

Looked at a couple 91/30's today at M&M in Plymouth. Some fair, some good. Pre-war and war dates, hardwood and laminate. All basically the same price whether matching or not. Any real value difference? Or is it just preference?

I was drawn to a '39 Ishavek, hardwood stock, all visible stamped numbers matching, $115. Although I like the looks of the laminate stocks better.

MajSpud

Laminates have historically sold for more due to perceived esthetic superiority.

I prefer the hardwoods, but I do admit that there are some very nice looking laminates out there. For originality though, the hardwoods are more correct, most wartime rifles were hardwood stocks.

You may want to buy the rifle that appeals to you most. A couple of things to look for. Matching numbers is a plus, check the crown, if it looks like it has just been machined it a good thing. You also should check to see if the bore has been counter bored. If so that was due to the rifling being worn out at the muzzle so they drilled it out to bring back some accuracy. Real important is how the stock fits at the tang. Look to see if there is a gap. If there is a large gap my advise don't buy it. It will not be as accurate. The tighter the action fits to the stock the better your accuracy. Just be patient you will find a beauty.

The M44's sometime require the bayonet to be extended to have them hit point of aim . Barrel harmonics is what I have read on the Mosin collectors forums.

If you save up a few extra dollars buy a Finn. M39s are out there and they are worth the extra cash. Milsurp4me is correct as to their accuracy.

Either way enjoy. I know I enjoy all of mine.

The M39 is the most appealing Mosin to me. Because there's a decent number of them, they're not too expensive, there are still many in like new condition, and they're simply great shooters.

And the barrel doesn't start melting the finish off the stock after 20 shots. Ask Dench for details.

I did put $20 down on that '39 Ishavek I saw the other day ($100). Only stamped numbers, and they all match on the bolt, barrel, magazine, and butt plate. No line outs or scrub marks. Hardwood stock decent, actually looks like a laminate at first glance, should be fine with some BLO touch ups. Barrel dark, fairly sharp lands, no pitting. Comes with the standard extras. Only flaw from the advice I was getting from the list was that there was a gap between the tang and the stock, at the rear only, about 2mm. I didn't pick it up today as we just filed our taxes [angry] and we're not sure if we owe or not [crying]. If all goes well I'll pick it up Monday and post some before pics, and then the cleaning begins.

M&M had spam cans of 7.62x54R for $150, and a case for $275. First thought was that seemed high. I didn't ask the make.

MajSpud

I did put $20 down on that '39 Ishavek I saw the other day ($100). Only stamped numbers, and they all match on the bolt, barrel, magazine, and butt plate. No line outs or scrub marks. Hardwood stock decent, actually looks like a laminate at first glance, should be fine with some BLO touch ups. Barrel dark, fairly sharp lands, no pitting. Comes with the standard extras. Only flaw from the advice I was getting from the list was that there was a gap between the tang and the stock, at the rear only, about 2mm. I didn't pick it up today as we just filed our taxes [angry] and we're not sure if we owe or not [crying]. If all goes well I'll pick it up Monday and post some before pics, and then the cleaning begins.

M&M had spam cans of 7.62x54R for $150, and a case for $275. First thought was that seemed high. I didn't ask the make.

MajSpud

If it is shellac you can blend it with denatured alcohol. Just put some DA on a rag and rub real fast around the bad area. Then wipe if off fast with a dry rag. Keep the original finish on the rifle because that is part of the history and it is worth more with the finish intact.
Most Mosins have a gap between the tang and stock. these guns were re-arsenaled so a different stock was used. the reds were not concerned about them looking pretty just concerned with if they would fire. As long as the barreled receiver is tight with the stock and does not have any play its good to go.

Last edited:
Another thing to remember is that these rifles were never meant for target shooting accuracy. They were meant to hit a man sized target at long range.

I've shot GEW98's, K98's, M44's, and by far the 91/30 is the mildest, and compared to some, more accurate. Do the Swede thing for Accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom