Another Completed SKS

The Goose

NES Member
I have been working on this for a few weeks. It came coated in cosmoline. I stripped this baby down to every single part and painstakingly cleaned each one with WD-40. I cleaned and degreased the stock, also with WD-40. Every other day for the last few weeks I rubbed in a light layer of Tung oil into the stock. I sent the trigger group of to Tom Prince (aka Kevaari) in Texas for a going over. Yesterday I got the trigger group back and put it all together. I also have an aperature rear sight and target post from Tech Sights, but I want to shoot it like this before I install them.

CompletedSKS009.jpg

CompletedSKS003.jpg

CompletedSKS007.jpg

CompletedSKS002.jpg

Is it the lighting or does the bluing on the left side of the receiver actually have a plum color to it? Every once in a while you see a Yugo with that shade and I think it looks cool.[grin] I see you also have what looks like some Golden Tiger ammo there. If thats what it is, it really is great ammo. Shoots much better than Wolf in my SKS rifles. I bought a case for $95 last year at the last Wilmington show and still have 3/4s of it left. I save it for when I'm going for 100 yard accuracy. [smile]
I've seen it for sale on a few sites that don't ship to Mass so I'm hoping its coming back around this way again. Its definitely worth the price jack of $160.

Nice man. Shit, y'all giving me SKS fever, I might have to get one for myself now!

happy holidays,
Chuck

Nice man. Shit, y'all giving me SKS fever, I might have to get one for myself now!

happy holidays,
Chuck

For the price, there's really no reason not to! Especially if you have a C&R!

Great Job on the stock BTW. Mine came out a little lighter but very similar!

What's cosmoline?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmoline

Cosmoline is a yellowish, light-amber, or greenish colored ointment-like mass, having a slight fluorescence, petroleum-like odor and taste. It is similar to petroleum jelly in properties, appearance, and thickness. It is the purified residue obtained from the distillation of petroleum oils.

Chemically, cosmoline is a homogeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It can range in color from white to yellow, and can differ in viscosity and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113–125 °F (45–52 °C) and has a flashpoint of 365 °F (185 °C).

Its most common use is in the storage and preservation of firearms. Previously, cosmoline was used to preserve other things. Objects the size of entire vehicles could be preserved for future use with cosmoline.

Back
Top Bottom