Another careless hunter...woman killed

Not a hunter and Im aware of the fact that were all responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle, but how much responsibility falls on people who are out walking around in the woods during hunting season? Not in a legal sense, but just in general.

I could understand tourists, but locals walking around at that time of the year seem like theyre not too bright. Say youre a hunter, you come home and ask the wife what she did today and she says she went for a walk in the woods with the dog, how do you respond?

Well, In Massachusetts, during gun hunting season, if you go In the woods, it’s advisable to wear orange. I know of several cases where someone was out walking in the woods and was shot while not wearing orange and there was charges filed.

A couple of years ago, a state trooper shot a woman and she wasn’t wearing orange. No charges if I recall correctly.

Also a couple of years ago, down the cape I believe, a guy got shot during muzzle loader season while walking his dog. In that case, while the guy did have a valid hunting license, he was brought up on charges of possessing ammunition without a gun license. At least that’s what I remember of the case.

So, wear orange during gun season. This year it started today, I believe. It ends December 31st.

This pisses me off to no end. The exact same thing seems to happen every year. Some one walking a dog after dusk is shot by a hunter.
In order to do this you have to be neglecting so many hunting rules.

I think people have a responsibility to think about what they're doing. Not all blame needs to fall on the hunter (in this case, yes - but not always).

Scenario:
Hunter A is bowhunting from a tree stand. Orange is not required, nor is he wearing it - he is still as he can be, in full camo ghille suit.
Hunter B is hunting that same area for pheasant, walking somewhat quietly on a well used path heading to his next "hot area" that looks like he can get a bird.
Hunter A hears "something" coming down the path, but can't see because even though Hunter B is wearing an orange vest and hat (although he's not on a WMA and doesn't need to), the red and orange leaves are still on the trees impeding his vision.
Just as Hunter B comes around a good sized tree, and into Hunter A's view, a grouse flies up heading straight to Hunter A. Hunter B sees nothing in his view except a tree and a bird. Hunter B fires a load of #6 shot, hits the bird, and also Hunter A in the knee - who falls out of the tree (harness removed for whatever stupid reason) strikes his head on a rock and dies.

How much fault is Hunter A? Hunter B? Bad freaking luck?

Accidents happen.

Back
Top Bottom