• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another careless hunter...woman killed

At 100yds. I could destroy bowling pins with my scoped Contender, at 200yds. I would say a basketball would be about the spread. That is from a bench. This nimrod is not a hunter, just someone looking to let the dog bark before calling it a day.

Flucking moron.
And before the usual suspects show up and shit on hunters.
This guy is as much a hunter as an MS13 member represents your average gun owner.

Another bang up job at identifying your target before firing and hunting illegally. Just another stupid a hole to give gun owners a bad name.

nah, he's not telling everything. 200 yds at dusk in the north eastern region of the country is a hell of a shot with a rifle never mind a handgun. ask anyone who ever shot ihmsa, and that's in daylight with a clear field of fire. for the casual shooter it ain't gonna happen. we'll see if more details emerge later.

Read the article more carefully. Nowhere in the actual quotes by the actual people involved does it say he thought she was the deer. Other than the headline (which probably wasn’t written by the reporter), I read this as him thinking he’s seeing a deer closer than 200m, shooting at it, missing his target, and then never knowing the woman was beyond to act as the berm.

Note, I’m not defending the guy. I’m just not sure he took an intentional 200m shot with a pistol at a woman walking her dogs.

I think this shit happens more often than you think, only they don't hit the "target".
I was hunting up in Vermont 12 years ago, staying in a nice camp my buddie Duke's friend had, it was already dark, I was coming across a field heading back to camp, shells out of my gun when I heard a round go whizzing by head about 5 feet high and in front of me, then I heard the shot. I yelled and these two local arse-holes jumped in their pickup and took off. (we had seen the truck earlier in the day parked in the lower field)
Really pissed me off as I couldn't even see my frack'n hand in front of me but they were low enough to see movement against the sky so took a shot. I mean WTF, there is always tomorrow to try again, it's not like they are starving. They again, it's Vermont yahoo's, maybe they are. I always had respect for Vermonters up till that point, rugged land, withers and all, I thought they stood a little taller, then I grew up and realized the are commie hippies. :)

Read the article more carefully. Nowhere in the actual quotes by the actual people involved does it say he thought she was the deer. Other than the headline (which probably wasn’t written by the reporter), I read this as him thinking he’s seeing a deer closer than 200m, shooting at it, missing his target, and then never knowing the woman was beyond to act as the berm.

Note, I’m not defending the guy. I’m just not sure he took an intentional 200m shot with a pistol at a woman walking her dogs.

I didn’t say he thought she was a deer.

I am going with the knucklehead was walking out of the woods after at sunset, saw some movement, said " What the hell..." and fired at it.

Not a hunter and Im aware of the fact that were all responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle, but how much responsibility falls on people who are out walking around in the woods during hunting season? Not in a legal sense, but just in general.

I could understand tourists, but locals walking around at that time of the year seem like theyre not too bright. Say youre a hunter, you come home and ask the wife what she did today and she says she went for a walk in the woods with the dog, how do you respond?

Not a hunter and Im aware of the fact that were all responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle, but how much responsibility falls on people who are out walking around in the woods during hunting season? Not in a legal sense, but just in general.

I could understand tourists, but locals walking around at that time of the year seem like theyre not too bright. Say youre a hunter, you come home and ask the wife what she did today and she says she went for a walk in the woods with the dog, how do you respond?

Zero responsibility falls on people walking in the woods. 100 percent of the responsibility falls on the shooter.
Not only does the hunter have to see a deer, he also has to determine if it's a buck or a doe and if it's a buck or a doe that he feels is worth shooting. Then he has to aim for a kill shot, usually in the heart/lung area. So you're talking about seeing an area about the size of a football on an animal that you know for sure is a deer and nothing but a deer and that it's a deer that is mature enough and healthy enough and of the proper sex for the permit you hold, and hit it in a spot where it will die quickly and humanely. You also have to be cognizant of what is beyond your target.
If you are a resonsible hunter you couldn't possible, under any circumstances mistake a human being or a dog or a horse or anything else in the world for heart/lung shot on a deer.

Zero responsibility falls on people walking in the woods. 100 percent of the responsibility falls on the shooter.
Not only does the hunter have to see a deer, he also has to determine if it's a buck or a doe and if it's a buck or a doe that he feels is worth shooting. Then he has to aim for a kill shot, usually in the heart/lung area. So you're talking about seeing an area about the size of a football on an animal that you know for sure is a deer and nothing but a deer and that it's a deer that is mature enough and healthy enough and of the proper sex for the permit you hold, and hit it in a spot where it will die quickly and humanely. You also have to be cognizant of what is beyond your target.
If you are a resonsible hunter you couldn't possible, under any circumstances mistake a human being or a dog or a horse or anything else in the world for heart/lung shot on a deer.

When we were kids we weren’t allowed to go in the woods during deer week. (It used to be a week in MA)

I also wouldn’t advise a woman to walk in certain sections of our town after dark.

It’s not that someone deserves to get shot or raped but I find myself able to respond to situations where I could be harmed.

Really not trying to blame the people getting shot although Im sure it sounds that way. If dudes are shooting at a rustling sound in the brush or a flash of something in the corner of their eye then thats one thing. Arent a good amount of these incidents guys shooting at a deer, missing and end up hitting someone 1/4 mile away? Hate to sound like Im blaming the victim, just trying to find out if theres a certain amount of "walking on the highway cuz drivers are ultimately responsible" type of thing going on. Like I said Im not a hunter, but if I lived out in the woods I'd be cutting back on my walking habits around hunting season.

I wouldn't disagree with a word of that.
You should also be able in a perfect world to go for a stroll in Dorchester or Roxbury at 2AM without your dead caucasion ass being found behind a dumpster in the morning.
You can't go too far wrong dividing by the lowest common denominator.

Ok, I lit up the thread about Hopkinton saying don’t blame the hunter without facts.

It looks like this article has facts, and the hunter admitting to moron behavior. Totally different than the other 3 sentence story that everyone here seems to have been an eyewitness to.

I got nothing here. He’s an idiot. No defense. He may as well have field dressed her to make it easy to get out of the woods.

Ok, I lit up the thread about Hopkinton saying don’t blame the hunter without facts.

It looks like this article has facts, and the hunter admitting to moron behavior. Totally different than the other 3 sentence story that everyone here seems to have been an eyewitness to.

I got nothing here. He’s an idiot. No defense. He may as well have field dressed her to make it easy to get out of the woods.

My father must have known about idiots like this guy when he told us to stay out of the woods in the ‘60’s.

depends on what you mean by "walking around" Are they cutting brush and kneed deep in swamp and bramble or are there known trails around.
I have not hunted in 20 plus years but when we did drives we would try like hell to know where all the "trails" where and not drive in the direction of trails. if we where out on the stands we had "zones" where we knew not to shoot and other zones we felt safer, again if you shoot at something you "thought" was a deer and turns out not to be....well that's where it will get interesting quickly

well it IS light after sunset. If he was an inexperienced hunter he might not have known the exact time sunset happened (which apparently is when you have to stop hunting in NY (VT too i think)). In MA you have 30 minutes after civil twilight to still hunt.

That might explain why this bozo did not know the quitting time in ny

my GPS has the sunrise/sunset tables in it, and i check it while hunting each day

My property backs up to a MA wildlife zone (where restricted hunting is allowed like in many wooded areas) and I routinely walk my husky/shepard in these woods (both of us wearing bright orange whether or not it's hunting "season"). Last winter I spoke to the one hunter who I know uses these woods (there don't appear to be many), apologizing to him if walking my dog had kept deer away (it was just after hunting season and on a Sunday when hunting is not legal in these woods, he was taking down his stand and my dog was off-leash so he'd gotten ahead of me). As this gentleman said, "these woods are for all of us to enjoy so no worries as far as I'm concerned." Anyway, I appreciated that comment and all of the comments on this forum from those who hunt responsibly and who understand that taking a shot comes with a lot of responsibility. As an outdoorsman (although not personally a hunter) I'd hate to have to avoid the woods altogether and I am willing to take some risk (albeit with precautions) to be able to enjoy a walk in the woods just as I routinely take some risk leaving my house to do most things (including working in inner-city areas all at all hours all over the state).

But did he see movement at 50 yrds? 200 yrds? Somewhere in between?
In other words, just how stupid was this guy?
Does it f***ing matter? When you shoot at a deer the right way is to aim at the heart and lungs. Not movement.

Say he did shoot at a deer closer up.....what are the actual chances a hiker was lined up perfectly behind it? I'd say one in a million!

I'm going to say he shot at movement.

If a hunter is in dense forest, like most of NE deer woods, and focused on a target 50yrds away, he will likely never see a person dressed in street clothes, 200yrds away.
In that kind of wood, a person can be visible one minute, and and invisible the next at much closer distances. Even in hunter orange.
Dumb and accountable for firing after sunset, yes.
Double dumb and accountable for firing at something unidentified at 200yrds???
Hence the "how stupid was this guy" question.
And no, it doesn't matter. Someone is dead, lives are changed forever. Sad.

More from Upstate NY:

Hunter Shoots Pickup Truck After Mistaking It for Deer

The shooting comes two days after a woman was mistaken for a deer and shot to death in the same Upstate county

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...Deer-Woman-Shot-Killed-Upstate-459966103.html

Sheriff's deputies say Marvin Miller of Middlefield, Ohio, fired a high-powered rifle at the pickup truck around 11:30 a.m. Miller told authorities he had mistaken the truck for a deer.

The sheriff's office says the bullet entered the engine compartment and disabled the truck.

Miller was arrested on charges including reckless endangerment.

Wow, he stopped a pickup truck with one shot, I'd say that's pretty good shooting! :D

Back
Top Bottom