• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Another Armalite Armorer's Course?

2ballcane

NES Life Member
NES Member
Last fall with the cooperation of the folks at HSA, I offered a 2 day AR armorer's from Armalite. We need 20 people paid in advance. If interested, PM. Last year the course was run on a not-for-profit basis and the student fee was $275.00. Let's presume the same costs would hold true for this year. If there's enough interest, I'll put the wheels in motion. Target date is early to mid-November.

Id be up for this if I could use somebody else's AR.

I do not own an AR.

I would like to take this class and should be able to get off work.

+'s for Western Mass location.

I have no experience taking apart AR's but if this class would be too hard for my lack of experience, I would like to participate in some way anyway.

Keep us posted.

This course was GREAT and well worth the $275. I would recommend as "stock" and AR as possible to get the most out of the disassembly/reassembly process as possible. We detail stripped the lower, removed the comp, sight tower, gas tube and barrel from the upper - and managed to reassemble it all with no leftover parts.

Thanks all who posted or PM'd. Regrettably the interest shown here and other boards won't support the expense and effort. These events are run as a break-even proposition for me and we have to have 16-20 serious students paid in advance to book flights, hotels, etc., as the instructors come from the factory (Illinois). If something changes, I'll post an update. Perhaps in the Spring. I am sure the economy has some influence and we can only hope things turn around.

Rob thanks for the report and endorsement and you are quite correct in your comments with regard to a basic or stock AR - the diversity of float tubes makes it impractical to support an upper dis-assembly in the confines of this course.

With regard to the question of skill, its is intended to start your from scratch and presumes only basic operational knowledge of an AR. In the past I did loan 2 ARs to complete novices whom I know walked away with a wealth of information. Between the instructors and students they managed to get through the course successfully. An now as a certified armorer they have the benefit of an inside line to a host of experience.

2ballcane said:
With regard to the question of skill, its is intended to start your from scratch and presumes only basic operational knowledge of an AR. In the past I did loan 2 ARs to complete novices whom I know walked away with a wealth of information. Between the instructors and students they managed to get through the course successfully. An now as a certified armorer they have the benefit of an inside line to a host of experience.
When he says complete novice, the emphasis is on "complete."

I hadn't fired one. Ever. I hadn't even picked one up to do more than say "wow, this is cool, but I kinda prefer wood and metal rifles." That said, the instructors are outstanding, and the info complete enough to take me from literally zero knowledge to being comfortable enough to build one from parts.

Rob thanks for the report and endorsement and you are quite correct in your comments with regard to a basic or stock AR - the diversity of float tubes makes it impractical to support an upper dis-assembly in the confines of this course.
It's a good think nobody told the instructors when I took the class, because we did a complete detail strip of the upper. My recollection is that about 25% of the class could not do this part completely because of float tube/compensator issues.

I think I sat next to Rob for the 2 days and thought it was worth every penny. If you don't think you already know everything (there was one of those there) then you will definitely benefit from the course. Very relaxed atmosphere, no rush, one on one when you need it, and all the tools are available. You get the knowledge and confidence to do most anything to an AR, including trouble shooting quirky problems. I think both instructors were retired master sergeant armorers with a fair amount of time @ Camp Perry. Glad I went

close on the instructors

Mike and Charlie are both retired military and work for Armalite. Charlie is now semi-retired as an instructor for Armalite but was once Sales Manager for their LE and Military Division of Armalite. Charlie is former USMC and CWO US Army, Ret. I believe he was team captain of the US Army Reserve Rifle Team. Charlie still competes as a member for the Hornaday Infantry Rifle Team where Mike is the Coach. Mike is Mst SGT, USMC Retired and was the armorer (RTE, 2212) for the Marine Corps Rifle Team. Mike also did a stint with the CMP and is on the board of the Garand Collectors Association. Mike and Charlie work the Armalite Store at Camp Perry during the service rifle matches. Needless to say that both men bring a wealth of practical experience to the table.

Back
Top Bottom