Andover, MA sportsman club or other suggestions?

Yep, it was a chore to get that 5 round load limit on revolvers changed but I drove them crazy and the new board relented.

Question, Len. How can a club own or buy guns without an LTC and yet have the club own the guns and store the guns and ammo too, legally? I suppose they could get an FFL.

Last edited:
Yep, it was a chore to get that 5 round load limit on revolvers changed but I drove them crazy and the new board relented.

Question, Len. How can a club own or buy guns without an LTC and yet have the club own the guns and store the guns and ammo too, legally? I suppose they could get an FFL.

My first club: NO FFL on board. A club officer signed FA-10s as "owner" and was responsible for them. They were kept in a safe on the property.

BR&P: Club has an FFL, with an officer or BOD member being the club FFL. They are kept in safes on the property.

Third club: Don't think there was an official club FFL (some members/officers did hold personal/business FFLs). I think that the guns were kept in safes on the property. I recall that an officer signed for them on FA-10s.

Fourth club: Past president is a Dealer (FFL) and signed for them personally (FA-10s). He's planning on leaving the area (retirement up North) and I'm reasonably sure that another officer signed for them on FA-10s.

Even with a Club Class A License, I don't think that the "club" itself can really own the guns wrt MGLs, that a human has to be the responsible party on an FA-10. Not 100% certain however, but lack of such a license has never been an impediment at any club I've been associated with and I've been a BOD member of 2 of the above clubs (one for 14 years the other as interim for a number of months).

Andover should consult with a number of other clubs that participate in juniors and/or CMP programs to see how they do it legally w/o "THE MAN" holding them by the balls.

Well, Len, even though it's done by clubs, it seems a little cloudy. It seems like some club officer is sticking his neck out in most of the instances that you describe.

Well, Len, even though it's done by clubs, it seems a little cloudy. It seems like some club officer is sticking his neck out in most of the instances that you describe.

Yes, someone is on the hook. And if they want out, they then get transferred to another club member.

I'd ask WHO has their name on the guns Andover has, I'll bet you a coffee at the next NES event we are at that it is NOT registered on an FA-10 as the "club" owning the guns. I'm also unsure what would be on the 4473 for NICS, but I suspect that is only done on a human and not a club.

I'm gonna ask around at our next club meeting. Be interesting to see what they do, exactly.

ETA: How can a club get a LTC-A when it can't be fingerprinted and does not have any criminal background to check? It's a sham!

Last edited:
I'm gonna ask around at our next club meeting. Be interesting to see what they do, exactly.

ETA: How can a club get a LTC-A when it can't be fingerprinted and does not have any criminal background to check? It's a sham!

Now you are seeing the light!

I just confirmed that legitimate museums don't need to have a LTC (exempt) to exhibit guns. I'm still trying to figure out how they get them legally transferred to the museum however!

last time i was there with my brand shiny new SBR an older guy demanded to see my paperwork on it and also wanted to confirm i was using preban mags. He got well within my personal bubble and I told him to backoff, he did and got in his car swearing and peeled out of the little parking area for the rifle range.

I cant stand some of the trolls that hangout there.

last time i was there with my brand shiny new SBR an older guy demanded to see my paperwork on it and also wanted to confirm i was using preban mags. He got well within my personal bubble and I told him to backoff, he did and got in his car swearing and peeled out of the little parking area for the rifle range.

I cant stand some of the trolls that hangout there.

Take it easy. That's not what you'd generally see there. The only time you need to show paperwork is if you're shooting full auto and then, and only then, is a range safety officer needed to be present and the paperwork filled in.

well the 3 times Ive brought it there the same thing has happened, not to the same extent, but maybe a reminder to all members is needed.

Back
Top Bottom