and if I drop this gun?

I don't understand internal safeties. They prevent a discharge from a drop right?

Will my 642 fire from a 5 foot drop?

Someone explaini this to me and others like a 4-year old

I believe the 642 has a transfer bar to prevent the hammer from hitting the Firing pin and the rebound slide has a bump that keeps the hammer from moving forward, both would have to fail in order for the hammer to hit the firing pin. the Pin itself is small and can not generate the momentum to fire the primer when dropped

No, it won't fire if dropped. Internal safeties in the 642 prevent the firing pin from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear.

If you want to understand how they work, get the S&W Revolver manual written by Jerry Kuhnhausen. Available from Brownells, MidwayUSA, etc. Jerry K. can explain it far better than I will ever be able to.

I believe the 642 has a transfer bar to prevent the hammer from hitting the Firing pin and the rebound slide has a bump that keeps the hammer from moving forward, both would have to fail in order for the hammer to hit the firing pin. the Pin itself is small and can not generate the momentum to fire the primer when dropped

What he said.

It's pretty hard to get a modern S&W revolver to fire unless you pull the trigger.

More reading:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...g-to-Kill-Mice?p=521041&viewfull=1#post521041

So in other words....if you drop your loaded gun....don't try to catch it. Odds of a finger pulling the trigger in the catching process is more likely to happen than the internal safety failing and the gun firing on impact.

So in other words....if you drop your loaded gun....don't try to catch it. Odds of a finger pulling the trigger in the catching process is more likely to happen than the internal safety failing and the gun firing on impact.
Yup. Google Plaxico Burress.

Back
Top Bottom