And I thought that the thumb safety in a 1911 was a drop-in...

[rofl]

My 1911 build it progressing nicely although slowly. I have the ejector installed and pinned. The extractor, firing pin and the firing pin stop have all been fitted and installed. I have also installed the sear, hammer and the grip safety last night. The thumb safety however did not want to go in. Who wold have thought that it needs to be filed down. [smile] I thought that most parts were pretty much drop-in.

I have much to learn. Thankfully the manuals are on the way and I should have them sometime today or tomorrow. [wink]

Big Red

Building your own gun is the best feeling just make sure to post pics.[smile]

Also, after installing a safety make sure you test it to make sure there is no sear movement, "very bad".

Semper Fi
1*

Of all the upgrades I did to my 1911 the thumb safety was the most fun and rewarding. There is some precision fitting that must be done and it's easy to mess up and ruin an expensive part. Take your time and you'll be ok.

I've built 2 and have done mods on others. Some times you get a few parts that only need a little fitting and some Ive spend hours on and had to get help with. I know on my last build i messed up my first safety.Just take your time and just go slow.

Parts are like a box of chocolates.

I bought one of the roughest, ugliest safeties, the Swenson. It comes dull and rough right out of a mold... for $75. Just to get them in the frame right I had to heat the pins make them perpendicular to the thrumbrests. Yet, it dropped right in and butted up to the sear perfectly without touching it with my file.

I've also successfully TIG welded up some safeties for a friend for refitting. He had changed sears and then his safety wasn't safe anymore.

Parts are like a box of chocolates.

I bought one of the roughest, ugliest safeties, the Swenson. It comes dull and rough right out of a mold... for $75. Just to get them in the frame right I had to heat the pins make them perpendicular to the thrumbrests. Yet, it dropped right in and butted up to the sear perfectly without touching it with my file.

I've also successfully TIG welded up some safeties for a friend for refitting. He had changed sears and then his safety wasn't safe anymore.

Times have changed. The Sweson safeties I installed many years ago were beautifully polished and required only fitting (metal removal) of the lug that contacts the sear. I stopped using the Swenson safety because other makers (Brown) offered a wider paddle which offered a better rest for the thumb on a match gun.

It is possible to "move" the metal of the safety by gentle tapping with a hammer to take up the slack in the new sear engagement. It doesn't always work, but it is a lot easier than welding.

Back
Top Bottom