An assortment of other recent acquisitions

USMA-82

NES Member
Besides the P-08, I've been selling a few guns and snatching up others. Here are the latest:

Spanish "Ruby" ( .35 ACP )

IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

French Model 1935-S ( 7.65 French Long)

IMG_4655.jpg

French Model 1935-A ( 7.65 French Long)

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

Polish Radom VIS-35 ( 9mm Luger)

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4659.jpg

Unique Model R (.32 ACP )

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

Remington Model 51 (.380 ACP)

IMG_4662.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

That's a nice Ruby, I like the rivet. Are there any French acceptance marks on it?

No "stars" in the usual place - bottom of the frame near the mag well. Only thing remarkable on it is the AG in a circle "code" for the manufacturer F. Arizmendi Y Goenaga - Eibar, and the"IDEAL" brand name.

Like most of my collectibles, I didn't know a whole lot about the gun until I started doing research. For example, I now know the "Ruby-type" pistols were, in fact, made by a couple dozen or more manufacturers all looking to fill a French contract during WW I. Unfortunately, they didn't all pay strict attention to the specs, and each gun is a little different depending on the manufacturer. That's one reason they made sure the code letters were on the bottom of the magazines, too - to make sure they'd work! The rivet was added to the slide after they found that the act of holstering and un-holstering the gun caused the safety to move around. The rivet provides enough clearance to keep it from moving.

I love the Remington Model 51. It was way ahead of its time.

I saw another one at the local shop, and was tempted to pick up another one......Priorities, priorities.....

OK buddy, its time for an intervention. Remember your the guy who said I was going to hurt myself when I purchased three rifles in a week...

Simply stunning. Congratulations buddy.

Yes, Spanish Rubys are a mess for collecting, so many variants and subtypes. Have you gotten the book "Spanish Handguns" yet? It's a really good resource that does a nice job of covering the Ruby as well as the various Astra and Star service pistols. I picked mine up on Amazon used for just a couple bucks, well worth it.

Also if you don't subscribe to Small Arms Review already there was a great article by Jean Houn on the 1935A pistol with production date codes and other info. I haven't gotten his book on French pistols yet but I've heard good things about it. His book on French rifles - Proud Promise, was very useful.

Is that the Gene Gangarosa book? As soon as I can find one at a reasonable price, I'll snatch it up. I do have a Star and Astra pistol , so I have an excuse, right?

I do have "Proud Promise" (great book), and I just recently picked up "French Service Handguns, 1858-2004" by Medlin and Huon. That book lists production info for the 1935S, but is a little scarce on the 1935A.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom