• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammunition "stockpile"

/edit to add more information for the reading impaired

I have a lopsided ammount of "cheap shit" VS defensive ammo with cheap shit taking up most of my storage space. Should I be picking up more defensive ammo or is cheap good enough?

/end edit

For reasons I can't determine yet, I've been instinctively grabbing two boxes of range ammo for every box I use. I've also picked up a few boxes each of defensive rounds from several manufactures of varying load (testing them in two to three mag runs prior to purchase, of course).

Given the defensive ammo is quite a bit more expensive, I wonder how many of you are picking these up beyond 200 or so rounds. In a SHTF case, is range ammo "good enough" or are you also stocking up on $1+ per round ammo?

I'm currently only shooting in 9m. I have ~200 or so total defensive rounds and have 2x Mag (+1) for day to day carry. Should I be grabbing more of the "good stuff"?

Last edited:
If your stock piling for the WROL or SHTF your better off with 12,000 rounds of the cheapest stuff that runs well in the gun as opposed to 2,000 of the fancy shit.

If your stock piling for the WROL or SHTF your better off with 12,000 rounds of the cheapest stuff that runs well in the gun as opposed to 2,000 of the fancy shit.

Pretty much sums it up.

I'm still kicking myself for not going with an AK when I could have been buying ammo by the crate locally not to long ago.

I'll just say that if the SHTF, I believe that lots more ammo than I've seen mentioned here would be needed. You'll burn through a lot more ammo in one firefight than you folks here are bargaining for, throughout the duration. Plan your magazine needs accordingly as well. The firefight wont wait while you reload your magazines and don't forget to maintain your magazines with the same respect you pay to maintaining your weapons. Having said this, let me also say that you'll probably never need any of this.

Not really end of civilization as we know it, just more of a civil unrest situation that lasts longer than a couple of weeks.

Probably better for the prepper sub but it sounds like I'm not the only one that buys more than they use. I'll keep on keeping on and look to flush out the safe with more than just 9.

200 rounds isn't enough for a day at the range, let alone a "stockpile".

200 rounds of defensive ammo is what I mentioned. Several multiples more in non-defensive "cheap stuff". Shoot one, buy two. Shoot two, buy four. Rinse, repeat.

Every now and again I'll pop into the local Dick's Sporting Goods when I get a gift card, so far I've lucked out twice(as far as I'm concerned) when browsing the gun counter. Once I picked up a UMC 650ct pack of .40(I forget the price but for me to get it it had to be worth it) and the second time I picked up a M22 2000ct ammo box of .22lr for $126 out the door IIRC, one of the ROs from BRP got the other one. [laugh]

I know a lot of folks don't like to buy ammo there but if, on my few yearly stops, I can find bulk ammo for cheap enough I'll buy it every time.

2000 rounds of 22 for 126 bucks?????

AUGGG!

Unfortunately, that's a damned good price for today. (In fact, anything under $.10/round is somewhat "acceptable" by today's standards.)

*shakes head*

I came late to this game, and even I bought most of my 22LR for $12.99 for a brick.

Reality sucks.

/edit to add more information for the reading impaired

I have a lopsided ammount of "cheap shit" VS defensive ammo with cheap shit taking up most of my storage space. Should I be picking up more defensive ammo or is cheap good enough?

/end edit

For reasons I can't determine yet, I've been instinctively grabbing two boxes of range ammo for every box I use. I've also picked up a few boxes each of defensive rounds from several manufactures of varying load (testing them in two to three mag runs prior to purchase, of course).

Given the defensive ammo is quite a bit more expensive, I wonder how many of you are picking these up beyond 200 or so rounds. In a SHTF case, is range ammo "good enough" or are you also stocking up on $1+ per round ammo?

I'm currently only shooting in 9m. I have ~200 or so total defensive rounds and have 2x Mag (+1) for day to day carry. Should I be grabbing more of the "good stuff"?

Buying 2 boxes for every box you shoot is not a bad plan......just buy before you go to the range.
I think you really need to decide if your going to shelter in or bug out.

Ammo is nice to have, go a few days with out water........

on the other hand, after your stuff is depleted just start picking it up off the dead. easy peezy.

My defensive ammo hoard is pretty much limited to filling all of the mags for my carry gun and my bedroom gun. Beyond that, it's just piles of FMJ. I do have some bulk hollow points, but not the expensive stuff.

My 2 guns are still new, so only the +1 is a hollow point to avoid ftf

Have you had issues feeding your preferred JHP in those guns? If not, run a couple of boxes through them, and stop worrying about FTF on hollow points. If you have had issues, get new ammo or fix the gun. Any modern pistol should feed any quality ammo with no issue, new or not.

My defensive ammo hoard is pretty much limited to filling all of the mags for my carry gun and my bedroom gun. Beyond that, it's just piles of FMJ. I do have some bulk hollow points, but not the expensive stuff.

+1 on this... Plus My biggest SHTF problem will be finding primers and lead.

I'm a believer in the good stuff, but I think there's a minimum quantity as well. What I've done is start by guying the amount of cheap stuff I feel meets my quality needs. Then over time I buy the good stuff and replace it. So for example start with 1000 rounds of 9mm FMJ. Buy 50 rounds of your JHP of choice each month and swap it out (use the replaced FMJ for range use). Inside two years you've got 1000 rounds of good JHP, without ever being up sht creek if something happens in the mean time.

Also depends on the caliber we're talking about. If it's 9mm I think FMJ is a mistake. If we're talking 5.56, then FMJ can be perfectly effective even if it's not the best.

I do things in terms of "cache". if i don't have enough to be considered to have a "cache" in the media...then i don't have enough. Of course they may have very low standard of proof as to what a "cache' is so i tend to err on the side of safety and use my own best judgement....being somewhat frugal with the finances of course...

I'm a believer in the good stuff, but I think there's a minimum quantity as well. What I've done is start by guying the amount of cheap stuff I feel meets my quality needs. Then over time I buy the good stuff and replace it. So for example start with 1000 rounds of 9mm FMJ. Buy 50 rounds of your JHP of choice each month and swap it out (use the replaced FMJ for range use). Inside two years you've got 1000 rounds of good JHP, without ever being up sht creek if something happens in the mean time.

Also depends on the caliber we're talking about. If it's 9mm I think FMJ is a mistake. If we're talking 5.56, then FMJ can be perfectly effective even if it's not the best.

still strongly dislike the fact that most JHP rounds only come in 25s, its like premature ejaculation in a box

Back
Top Bottom