ammo

I've been leaking a few hundred rounds into the safe bit by bit lately too, thinking about what may happen if Hillary gets elected.....What's the legal limit in MA again? 10K rimfire, 50K centerfire?.....Jeez I hope it's at least that high. I think I can build an igloo out of 5.56 ammo cans. [laugh]

I've been leaking a few hundred rounds into the safe bit by bit lately too, thinking about what may happen if Hillary gets elected.....What's the legal limit in MA again? 10K rimfire, 50K centerfire?.....Jeez I hope it's at least that high. I think I can build an igloo out of 5.56 ammo cans. [laugh]

SWAT team inbound.

I'm curious what you guys consider "good prices." I'm new to this world so I don't have a historical perspective on ammo prices. I pay roughly .20 per round of 9mm Luger. How do some of you who have been shooting for >10 years or go rank the going rate in comparison to previous markets? I did some googling and didn't find anything awesome that charted ammo prices like you can find with gold. Curious what some longtimers' perspectives might be.

Last edited:
I'm curious what you guys consider "good prices." I'm new to this world so I don't have a historical perspective on ammo prices. I pay roughly .20 per round of 9mm Luger. How do some of you who have been shooting for >10 years or go rank the going rate in comparison to previous markets? I did some googling and didn't find anything awesome that charted ammo prices like you can find with gold. Curious what some longtimers' perspectives might be.

An example that comes to mind is surplus Hirtenberger 9mm 124gr +P+ subgun ammo. When it was around it could be had for $116.00/1200rd in an ammo can.(probably less if you bought it 25K or more at a time). That's 9.6 cents a round, picked up at the point of sale.

Wolf steel cased was about 6.9 cents a round in that same period.

Wolf 7.62x39 used to be $79.00+- a couple of bucks per 1000. Now its more than double that.

All ammo has gone up significantly in the past 10 years.

.22LR is now unobtanium in some places and plentiful in others. I haven't seen a box of .22LR around these parts in Walmart in 3 years.....not a single box and I look every time I go. Same for Winchester 9mm value packs of 9mm.

They probably are getting it in from time to time, but its being scooped before it even hits the shelf.
Most brands of 9mm, same story. I have seen a couple of boxes of Tula 9mm now and then but its pretty rare.

Suffice to say, its gone way up in price in the past ten years and its had very few price back slides.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you need a hand truck to move your ammo, you're getting there.
When you require a forklift, you're almost there.
Always room for another case.

When you need a hand truck to move your ammo, you're getting there.
When you require a forklift, you're almost there.
Always room for another case.

Way back when ammo was very cheap compared to today, I bought numerous cases (1K) of various calibers. Carl used a hand truck to bring them to my car. All long gone down range.

Way back when ammo was very cheap compared to today, I bought numerous cases (1K) of various calibers. Carl used a hand truck to bring them to my car. All long gone down range.

I bought what I thought was prudent but when the prices went crazy I sold most of mine. I believe prices are going up again and wish I hadn't been so cheap that I didn't stock up.[laugh]

there are many ways to interpret the increased ammo prices over past 10 years. my own interpretation is that demand has markedly increased due to so many people now into shooting. with demand being higher, manufacturers/vendors can charge more and increase their margins.

also nowadays it seems ammo manufacturers are producing a larger variety of calibers. this also factors into cost. if they could make just 2 or 3 chamberings their costs would be lower. but again the demand for more and more calibers is a sign that the shooting world has grown in the past decade.

massachusetts is possibly an exception to this, where the LTC and other draconian laws keep the # of folks into shooting at a very low level....which we all know is their goal.

there are many ways to interpret the increased ammo prices over past 10 years. my own interpretation is that demand has markedly increased due to so many people now into shooting. with demand being higher, manufacturers/vendors can charge more and increase their margins.

also nowadays it seems ammo manufacturers are producing a larger variety of calibers. this also factors into cost. if they could make just 2 or 3 chamberings their costs would be lower. but again the demand for more and more calibers is a sign that the shooting world has grown in the past decade.

massachusetts is possibly an exception to this, where the LTC and other draconian laws keep the # of folks into shooting at a very low level....which we all know is their goal.

I think these are both very valid reasons. In addition, the cost of raw materials has increased rapidly because of demand in other manufacturing sectors worldwide that use those same raw materials. Add in inflation for the icing on the cake and you have consumer ammunition prices outpacing inflation.

Only got the hand truck treatment once. At Riley's the year before. Got everything I wanted. Felt like a massive score. Then when I got home, I used a hand truck to move the ammo into the house. That was a good day.

I think these are both very valid reasons. In addition, the cost of raw materials has increased rapidly because of demand in other manufacturing sectors worldwide that use those same raw materials. Add in inflation for the icing on the cake and you have consumer ammunition prices outpacing inflation.

you also forgot the increased costs of energy and labor factoring in

Only got the hand truck treatment once. At Riley's the year before. Got everything I wanted. Felt like a massive score. Then when I got home, I used a hand truck to move the ammo into the house. That was a good day.

BTW, the prices I was referring to were ~$100/case (1K/case) of .223, 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP, so that was 4 cases for a bit more than $400!

Not sure about the bolded part. While we MA prisoners are unable to get ammo through UPS due to the draconian thuggish nature of our Attorneys general toward anyone who would dare ship ammo into the prison, err I mean state for the last 2 decades+, http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/ seems to be a decent tool for insight into what ammo costs for free states. MA seems to be normal to me.

UPS isn't restricted by the AG, it's the stores that are threatened by the AG, geez even CT is allowed to ship in ammo to their homes.

Not sure about the bolded part. While we MA prisoners are unable to get ammo through UPS due to the draconian thuggish nature of our Attorneys general toward anyone who would dare ship ammo into the prison, err I mean state for the last 2 decades+, http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/ seems to be a decent tool for insight into what ammo costs for free states. MA seems to be normal to me.

Dude look at # of firearm owners before and after all these laws were written. A major purpose of the laws is to deter ownership of firearms. And it works.

For those of us here reading firearms forums, LTC requirements and suitability, etc are a non issue. We are the dedicated. But for the vast majority of potential firearm owners, it takes just a few hoops and infirngments to stop them from exercising their 2A rights. Dont kid yourself. The laws have all sorts of "benefits" including the above.

Actually he has done quite a bit behind the scenes. He has stopped some imports of rifles from overseas and he's caused things to be more expensive. He hasn't taken them at least yet but it's not for lack of trying.

For all the talk of Obama coming after guns, what's he done about it? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Dude look at # of firearm owners before and after all these laws were written. A major purpose of the laws is to deter ownership of firearms. And it works.

For those of us here reading firearms forums, LTC requirements and suitability, etc are a non issue. We are the dedicated. But for the vast majority of potential firearm owners, it takes just a few hoops and infirngments to stop them from exercising their 2A rights. Dont kid yourself. The laws have all sorts of "benefits" including the above.

I wasn't saying that the laws don't suppress people from getting firearms. I was just saying that the price we pay here in MA for ammo isn't much different than any free state, from what I can tell.

- - - Updated - - -

UPS isn't restricted by the AG, it's the stores that are threatened by the AG, geez even CT is allowed to ship in ammo to their homes.

I am aware of this, I was attempting to make a funny about our attorney general, and previous ones.

I wasn't saying that the laws don't suppress people from getting firearms. I was just saying that the price we pay here in MA for ammo isn't much different than any free state, from what I can tell.

My post had nothing to do w ammo supply and laws, simply demand for ammo (ie # of lawful firearm owners).

the demand for ammo in this state is miniscule compared to other states. Consequently supply is appropriately tiny. the # of vendors here is small. If they wanted to gouge they could. We should all be grateful they dont bend us over completely 'cuz they could.

Been stocking up a little every paycheck for a while.

Today:
2000 Winchester Small Pistol Primers
1 lb. of Red Dot powder
100 - .357 Magnum American Eagle 158 grain JSP
500 - .22 Federal High Velocity

My ammo and reloading supply inventory has more than doubled in the last 90 days. Plan on keeping it up until the election.

Last edited:
Speaking of ammo, I need some .223 and have a bunch of Danish MilSurp Garand-safe 30.06 (great shooting but not reloadable). Is there someplace here to propose some sort of FTF swap?

Speaking of ammo, I need some .223 and have a bunch of Danish MilSurp Garand-safe 30.06 (great shooting but not reloadable). Is there someplace here to propose some sort of FTF swap?

I would think that the classifieds section WTT Firearms Accessories might be appropriate.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forums/215-WTS-WTT-Firearm-accessories

(with the appropriate legal disclaimer for MA [angry] )

This is just my guess, I am sure a moderator would be able to direct you.

Back
Top Bottom