Ammo storage

tommyc

NES Member
We have an accessory apartment attached to the house but with separate entrance can we then store 20,000 rounds ?

thank you

I understand over 10,000 requires a permit, was hoping with two ltc a's and accessory apartment we'd be ok

We have an accessory apartment attached to the house but with separate entrance can we then store 20,000 rounds ?

thank you

10k rounds rimfire, 10k round centerfire, 5k shotgun shells can be kept or stored in a building or other structure without permit.

The question is if your house with an accessory apartment attached to it still counts as one building.

I wonder what would happen in an apartment building if there were multiple tenants who kept 10k centerfire rounds. Do they really expect people to check with each other that their total doesn't exceed the 10k number?

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure...

Ok. Guess it gets kind of complicated if I live in an apartment "BUILDING" (see above) and there are 10 apartments (and they are all NES'ers)? [wink]

If its your primary residence and ISN'T being rented I think the permit will be ok.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I believe the storage amounts with out a permit are based on per dwelling, not per person.

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/ammostorage.html

The storage limits are fire rules - so they're going to be based on dwelling - not on a per person basis.

An interesting question is: what are the limits if you have a house - and a detached garage - can you double your limits then as long as you split them between the structures?

The storage limits are fire rules - so they're going to be based on dwelling - not on a per person basis.

An interesting question is: what are the limits if you have a house - and a detached garage - can you double your limits then as long as you split them between the structures?

My reading of it is that the exempted quantities are per structure/building, not necessarily a dwelling. A detached garage or storage shed is not a dwelling, but it is a stand alone structure/building. As such, in my opinion, quantities stored therein would not be in the same total as what you have stored in your main house.

My reading of it is that the exempted quantities are per structure/building, not necessarily a dwelling. A detached garage or storage shed is not a dwelling, but it is a stand alone structure/building. As such, in my opinion, quantities stored therein would not be in the same total as what you have stored in your main house.

No go. I posed this question to my fire chief a few years ago. Like many here, I have a large wood shed ~20' from the house.

No go. I posed this question to my fire chief a few years ago. Like many here, I have a large wood shed ~20' from the house.

So - you're saying that your fire chief interpreted the rules to mean "dwelling" as "property" ?? Meaning no matter how many actual physical structures exist on the property - and no matter how separated they are from each other - they are counted as one?

That sounds like a pretty liberal interpretation of the wording of the regulation IMHO.

A permit would be the way to go IMHO.
Consider the fact that if you have a fire, and it's determined that you were not compliant with fire fire reg's, your insurance company would happily kiss you good bye.
That's basically why I got the permit when i was in MA.

The text says 'can be kept or stored in a building or other structure'. Multiple buildings or structures should be fine but one might still get in trouble in this state and it's costly even if in the right. Hell, a dog house is a structure so it could be used to store 10k centerfire rounds lol.

Are there any laws about storing ammo outside? Just dump all the extra ammo in the backyard but make sure it's in locked containers[rofl]

Great.. something else I have to worry about... So where do you apply for this permit? At the local PD or with the state?

WOW, are you gearing up for the end of the world?

It really isn't that much if you are really into shooting and/or prepping.

I mean I am broke, shot off most of my stash before moving, still waiting on my LTC, and still have 2,000 rounds give or take.

ya, ya, sure, sure, I'll be sure to go get my permit for the storage of ammo in excess of 10k rounds. GFY

Back
Top Bottom