ammo boxes

hey does anyone here use ammo boxes? and if you do do you just put the boxes of bullets into the big box or empty the paper boxes into the one big one?

ok i gotta ask, with the can and those piles of bullets in them.... its like a kid in a candy store, how do you not just dig your hands into it?

I use ammo cans as well, I leave the ammo boxed inside the cans. Just recently came accross some minty 20mm cans...things are friggin' huge!

I have most of my ammo stored in ammo boxes. The stuff that isn't in ammo boxes is still in the original packaging - and this is only because I ran out of ammo boxes.

I have been using the SAW cans ( Fat 50). If the ammo came in 50 or 100 round boxes I leave it in the boxes and pack those in the cans. Then I add dessicant packs to each can to get rid of moisture.

The only time I leave ammo loose in the cans is if that is the way I bought it.

A fully packed SAW can gets pretty heavy.

You can buy dessicant at places like Cabelas or at pretty much any online retailer. If you're really cheap, save all the little packs that will litter your floor on Xmas morning from the various gifts and throw a few of them in the ammo cans. The cans are essentially sealed, so if you close them when it's dry, they'll tend to stay that way.

You can also get an inexpensive "weather station" at places like Radio Shack or Sharper Image and leave it where you store your ammo to monitor things like temperature and humidity.

I had been scavenging dessicant packs from equipment that was unpacked in the lab at my job. Then they stopped expanding so I hunted down a vendor for the same dessicant packs that had been coming in the equipment.

I ended up buying a couple of 5 gallon pails of dessicant packs from this place:

http://texastechnologies.com/moisture-control/desiccant/clay/packaged/desi-pak-unit-size.htm

Now whenever I fill up another ammo can I throw a few dessicant packs in and seal it up.

Folks, thanks a lot for your replies.
Calsdad, I really appreciate the link, thanks again.
What size packs do you use for 50 cal cans, 1/2 unit or 1 unit?

Last edited:
Folks, thanks a lot for your replies.
Calsdad, I really appreciate the link, thanks again.
What size packs do you use for 50 cal cans, 1/2 unit or 1 unit?

The ones I ordered were the 2 unit bags. Not sure exactly how much you should put in each ammo can - but I usually throw in 2 or 3.

I just found the email from when I originally did the order - here is what I got:

2 Desi-Pak 2 Unit Craft Pouches, 150 / pail: Desi3796 $31.50 $63.00

Not sure if that was a great price or not - but I like the size of the paks, they seem to work well for what I wanted to do.

Back
Top Bottom