Ammo ban

California is the first, of course, but more States could soon follow suit. I would think that many of the Northeast States would be at the head of the line.

A bill has been signed earlier this month that would make ammo purchases increasingly difficult. This is not an outright ammo ban, but it certainly introduces obstacles. Initially, sellers would have to start keeping records, and keeping ammo more protected. Then everyone who buys a box of ammo would have to be thumbprinted and their IDs checked.

Naturally, this would add procedural complexity to sellers, and they would have to pass the resulting costs on to the consumers. Secondly, this would make it impossible to order ammo by mail, thereby limiting competition.

Here is a link to the info:

http://justgetthere.us/blog/archives/Schwarzenegger-Signs-Ammo-Regulation-Bill.html

I first heard about this earlier today on Fox, but they do not appear to have the content on their website yet.

Now I'll indulge in the conspiracy theories for a bit.....[smile]

A while back there was a thread regarding firearm confiscation and how the gov't would approach it.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82374&highlight=ban+ammo

Naturally, someone mentioned ammo bans & restrictions. seanc and Mark from MA were the first on that or similar topics. Cheers guys, looks like you were a step ahead.[cheers]

Last edited:
MA has already had almost every restriction in this new CA law already for the last 11 years, under C. 140 § 122B. The only difference is the thumbprint check (and the no gang members can possess ammo clause), though with the MIRCS thumbprint check already in place for firearm purcahases, thumbprinting for ammo is an easy next step for the state.

No arguments here. Although, I don't think anything good can come of a situation where what used to be the tightest bans become almost as severe as the mainstream one.

I buy a lot of ammo from CMP, having it shipped to a dealer would be ridiculous, and they would probably charge $50 for the transfer....

Glad I live in NH....

The NH border is only 24 miles from me.

Group buy anyone? (I hope it NEVER comes to this).

I'll remember that Mike... one of these days when the folks on Beacon Hill are up to their usual tricks, you might just find a PM from me!!! I think we'll need a truck.[smile]

MA has already had almost every restriction in this new CA law already for the last 11 years, under C. 140 § 122B. The only difference is the thumbprint check (and the no gang members can possess ammo clause), though with the MIRCS thumbprint check already in place for firearm purcahases, thumbprinting for ammo is an easy next step for the state.

You can count out Wally World and Dicks if thumbprints were required for ammo purchases. Hardly easy to find help as it is...or stock for that matter.

Note that hardly any states follow CA's lead when it comes to firearms..........

Except PA, MD, NJ and MA.

And D.C. attempting to evade compliance with Heller at every turn.

And New York City and Chicago looking to make themselves the Firearms Law Models with similar edicts.

Except PA, MD, NJ and MA.

And D.C. attempting to evade compliance with Heller at every turn.

And New York City and Chicago looking to make themselves the Firearms Law Models with similar edicts.
PA has NOTHING in common with any CA gun law.

MD has some stupid restrictions on the SALE of high capacity magazines intrastate, but none pertaining to posession.

NJ and MA have been f***ed up long before California imploded on itself.

California is a pesthole. I grew up there and spent 1996-2001 there again due to circumstances beyond my control. Now, you couldn't get me to move back for any money. Calif. is easily as bad as Mass in almost every area I can think of and even worse than Mass in other areas like gun rights.

Having lived in a free state, I'm ruined forever for places like Mass and California and NJ. Every second we live here and pay taxes is a second I feel cheated. We're gone as soon as circumstances permit.

I think the best thing we can hope for in this instance is a favorable ruling on McDonald vs. Chicago. If the court rules that the second amendment applies to the states through the fourteenth amendment we may be able to start chipping away at restrictive gun laws not only in California but Massachusetts as well.

We can only hope.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2009/11/supreme-court-brief-filed-chicago-gun-ban-challenge

Why wait for McDonald vs. Chicago? How come we can't start chipping away right here in the Bay State right now? Apparently, there are no pro 2A wars to fight here? Yawn....

CA already prohibits hollowlpoints, limits ammo transfers among individuals including families to 1 box a month or week or something like that. Semi auto rifles had to be used only as single shots up until recently where now you can have a 10 round magazine welded to the receiver. They were trying to outlaw FTF transfers. Not sure if that passed.
My oldest son is stationed there and said a crapload of Marines have requested transfers to other states because of the CA restrictions. My son is trying to get a job at an indoor range because that is about the only avenue to get a license to carry concealed...and he's a seargant and trained as a weapons instructor for his air wing.

CA already prohibits hollowlpoints, limits ammo transfers among individuals including families to 1 box a month or week or something like that.

California prohibits "armor-piercing" ammo, but not hollow point.

The Ammo limits your talking about (50 rounds per month) are part of this new bill that was just signed by the Govenator.

swampy said:
Semi auto rifles had to be used only as single shots up until recently where now you can have a 10 round magazine welded to the receiver.

I believe you're thinking of "assault weapons", which can only have a detachable magazine if it needs a tool to remove it from the rifle, and/or possibly "large capacity magazines" which are generally prohibited. There is no general prohibition on semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines.

swampy said:
They were trying to outlaw FTF transfers. Not sure if that passed.

FTF transfers are indeed illegal in CA, with a few exceptions (inheritance, bankruptcy, between spouses).

See http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf for a good overview of California gun laws.

Why wait for McDonald vs. Chicago? How come we can't start chipping away right here in the Bay State right now? Apparently, there are no pro 2A wars to fight here? Yawn....

There are plenty of 2A wars here that I don't really see changing unless they are attacked by interpreted law that is forced on this state. In my opinion this is the only way the permanent Massachusetts assault weapons ban will ever end.

I have seen too many gun owners who have no interest in joining GOAL or participating in any way in getting terrible restrictive laws changed.

I have experienced gun owners who think some classes of guns (machine guns specifically as a result of Westfield) are more dangerous than others and shouldn't be owned by anyone.

When a tool like Mike Capuano thinks he has a shot at becoming a Senator in this state. I am pretty sure people who will vote for this guy would support taking away every weapon you own.

When I go to a Halloween costume store (with a concealed weapon) and am close enough to a woman to bump her with it (there is probably a good joke line here somewhere) and I hear her telling her son who wants a toy gun for his costume "We don't allow guns in our house".

When I help with the range qualification for a firearms safety class and I see a 35 year old male with his hands physically shaking at the prospect of firing a weapon (and it wasn't for joy).

Our former Republican governor (who wants to become president and will never get my vote) signs our state assault weapons ban into law when he says he believes in the 2nd amendment.

And my favorite...a police chief who has the right to deny you the right to keep or own any weapon for whatever arbitrary reason.

The small victories we see from time to time with gun laws and rights are great, but not enough without outside help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom