• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Amherst Board of Health wants Select Board to take stand against gun violence

Reptile

NES Member
AMHERST — The Board of Health has asked the Select Board to take a stand against national gun violence by signing a statement of principals in solidarity with other communities working to prevent it.

In the letter to the Select Board, health board members ask the select board to enroll with "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" to have access to information and resources that it develops or makes available.

Without a mayor, the Select Board is the highest elected town office and can enroll in the program.

Areas of concert for the board, according the letter, include the "role of guns in accidental shootings by young children having access to improperly stored guns, guns and domestic violence and intentional and unintentional self-inflicted gun wounds by troubled adults."

"Amherst is a very safe community," said Board of Health member Julie Marcus, but she said it's imperative that all communities take a stand for responsible gun ownership.

It has to be "a bottom up activity. There's never going to be a top down" movement, she said.

The National Rifle Association is too powerful a lobby, she said.

The board's purview is public health, and this is another means to take care of the public's health, she said.

While mass shootings draw headlines, 35,000 die from guns every year, Marcus said. "Most are unrecognized," she said, noting the numbers include victims of domestic violence, accidents or suicides and that there are suicides in Amherst.

Marcus said it's incumbent on everyone to take a stand on the issue of gun safety. "We're treating it as harm reduction," she said.

Marcus said taking a stand "is certainly within our purview" because gun-related deaths are one of the leading killers in the U.S.

The letter is in the Select Board packet for the meeting Monday night at the Amherst Regional Middle School.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/05/amherst_health_board_wants_sel.html#incart_river_home
-----------
Here we go...

Looks like this is just the beginning of the attack on the 2a as it will be fought out in Amherst.

yes, i think we ALL are very against illegal gun violence.

Trouble is, instead of going to the legal gun owners and asking for their support and ideas on how to stop it, for some bizarre reason they instead go to the legal gun owners and try to CONFISCATE their guns. We are just dealing with insane people!

For this reason, we will fight this with all our vigor.

Unlike the anti-gunners I have enough sense to know that inanimate objects can't cause violence, only living things can therefore I have enough sense not to blame an object but to place the blame on the living being that caused the violence. I also have enough sense to realize that criminals don't obey the law and therefore gun control only harasses, discourages and denies the innocent from the right to keep and bear arms thereby making them more vulnerable to the criminal element.
Gun control proponents over the last century are responsible for the deaths of millions of people.
The anti-gunners agenda is all about control not public safety because gun control actually makes us less safe since it only disarms the innocent.

yes, i think we ALL are very against illegal gun violence.

Trouble is, instead of going to the legal gun owners and asking for their support and ideas on how to stop it, for some bizarre reason they instead go to the legal gun owners and try to CONFISCATE their guns. We are just dealing with insane people!

For this reason, we will fight this with all our vigor.

Fortunately, Chief Stoney is still pro2a and Amherst is still green. No doubt the moonies will soon try to go all Longmeadow in Amherst.

There is an up side to all of this.
Now you know in your town who not to trust, elect to office or even piss on if they were on fire.
I explained the good neighbor vs bad neighbor thing to a young guy who moved onto our street years ago.

If your a good neighbor and I hear someone yelling "Help, help" from your house, I call the cops and or rush over to help.
If your a bad neighbor I turn the tv up.

If your a good neighbor and I see smoke coming out of your house, I call the fire dept.
If your a bad neighbor I get a lawn chair and a cooler for the show.

You get what you give.

Run someone up against the incumbent at the board of health. Petition the selectmen to oust if they are appointed. Let them know there are consequences at the voting booth, even in Amherst to going after LEGAL gun owners.

Accidental poisening of children far outnumbers accidental shootings. Where is the "mayors to promote proper storage of household chemicals" group holding its next meeting? ****ing moonbats.

Wow, I didn't realize the streets of Amherst were so bad! [rolleyes]

Oh my god. They're so bad that the board of health is proposing a statement of principles. A STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES!!!!1!!1!! I've never written one myself but I assume they're sternly worded.

AMHERST — The Board of Health has asked the Select Board to take a stand against national gun violence by signing a statement of principals in solidarity with other communities working to prevent it.

Run someone up against the incumbent at the board of health. Petition the selectmen to oust if they are appointed. Let them know there are consequences at the voting booth, even in Amherst to going after LEGAL gun owners.
because it might upset some people

You're kidding of course. This is the town that that banned flying the flag on 9/11.

This guy can rot in Cleveland:

"I understand how polarizing the flag can be in this community. Some might look at the flags as a brazen symbol of might and oppression," Maroulis said."

I know it's old news, but still pisses me off.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/08/amherst_officials_offer_perspe.html

Back
Top Bottom