American Rifleman Pocket Pistol Article

Anyone see the article in this months American Rifleman? I'm assuming some of you guys get it. I didn't see it posted here yet though. I haven't finished reading the whole article. It is a few pages long. They do compare nine .380ACP pocket pistols though.

I know we can't buy them all here in MA but I've definitely seen some of them pop up on here.

Got the mag, haven't read the article yet, but have been carrying the LCP in my front pocket since I got it, and due to needing deep concealment at my workplace, I have only been able to ankle carry; but there is something to be said about having a mouse gun in the pocket.

Got the mag, haven't read the article yet, but have been carrying the LCP in my front pocket since I got it, and due to needing deep concealment at my workplace, I have only been able to ankle carry; but there is something to be said about having a mouse gun in the pocket.

funny you say that. My LCP has been the only gun I have carried since i got it last April. Its just so easy to carry and conceal.

Pretty much what I expected. All junk but the $1200.00 gun. Who wants a personal protection gun that the manufacturer says you have to fire 200 rounds through before its safe to carry

I read the article as soon as I got the mail today. Not very informative. As far as the comment directed towards Kahr, you should puy at least 200 rounds through any gun you Intend to carry in my opinion. I don't know about you but I like to be in tune with a gun before I carry it.

200 rounds isn't bad. I bet there are members here that buy new guys with the intention of running alot more than that through it before carrying.

Yeah, but that is THEIR choice. If the manufacturer is saying the gun isn't ready until you put 200 rounds through, it's really not in true "working order" now, it is?

My Glock 27 needed about 200 rounds before it would feed reliably. You should always run at least a few boxes through a new gun before you carry it to help break it in and help identify carry ammo it likes.

It is like breaking in a new baseball glove or hiking boots. Breaking in a new gun is a labor of love.

when i got my p345 last sept i put several boxes of ammo through it. hollowpoints, hardball, reloads (230 gr lead rn, the hardball was 2 mags full of factory and the rest was reloaded. never had a ftf at all. the gun worked flawlessly with everything. also there was no problem with bullets stovepiping. ive carried that gun just about every day since with the exception of a few times with the 38. now im approaching approximately 1k rounds through it and have no problems with it at all.

I am concerned about the number of cycling malfunctions, most commonly failures to feed and chamber. With one exception, every gun experienced these problems. Even here, we have to put matters in context. Kahr Arms, for example, includes the same manual with each of its pistols, regardless of size or chambering. That manual tells the buyer that he or she needs to run at least 200 rounds through the pistol before pressing it into service. That is coldly realistic advice that all of the other manufacturers would be well-advised to emulate.

With most of the guns, the greater number of glitches came when they were new out of the box. As the shooting wore on, the frequency of malfunctions declined. I would also suggest that when breaking in your chosen .380, you should make sure the gun is well-lubricated, perhaps even over-lubricated. Shoot until malfunctions stop.
(http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2074&cid=4)

The recommendation from Kahr is one that the writer not only agrees with, but suggests that the other manufacturers should include with their guns.

It's a gun, not an item like a seatbelt or a helmet that requires destructive testing to verify that the device will function as designed. Whether it's poor quality or just picky mechanical timing to get a tiny autoloader with a relatively weak cartridge to cycle, it's not something I'd be trusting my life to after one box of ammo. Don't like it? Buy a bigger gun, one with a more reliable action (DA revolver), or one that shoots a larger cartridge.

I don't see the 200 round recommendation as ridiculous at all, given the application.

I just got around to reading the article. I don't own a .380 and I've actually never fired one. It is not something totally out of the question for me though. I would be more likely to buy a j-frame than a .380 shown in the article. However if I had to carry one of those for whatever reason, I surely would take it out to the range for a couple hundred rounds just to see what kinks it had if any. I mean if you are going to trust your life to it you might as well make sure it works right?

i have never had a ftf with my p3at and all ammo I have tried so far have fed no problem...including hollow point personal protection rounds. Can't complain about that...sites do suck though as the article states.

I think it is good advice to always put a few hundred rounds through a new gun. Breaks in the springs, seats the parts and smooths out the trigger. Only a fool would carry a gun for protection right out of the box without firing at LEAST 100-200 rounds through it. As for the article, I thought is was typical of a magazine who receives guns for free from their advertisers to write a review. Do you think American Rifelman wouldreally write anything critical of a product that may piss off their advertisers?

Back
Top Bottom