Am I ready?

I'm trying to study for my technician exam. I'm taking it next Saturday. I've been studying the ARRL book and a couple of other sources I've found online. I'm continually scoring 80-85% on the practice tests I've been taking online. I guess I'm just nervous about it, but my question is: How do I know when I'm ready?

you'll know when you pass.

you need 26/35 to pass. if you're in the 80-85% range I think you'll do fine. I found a lot of the online practice tests were harded than the actual tests. If you've got until the 25th go ahead a read through the general quetsion pool a few times too.

When you take the actual tets, relax and take your time. you don't get extra points for finishing first.

If you're consistently getting scores like you are I'd say you're ready. Multiple choice questions, toss out the obvious wrong ones, narrow down what's left and you'll be all set. Good luck!

Thanks, guys! This is stupid...I'm more worried about this test than I was about tests in college, which would actually have an impact on my life! :)

Thanks, guys! This is stupid...I'm more worried about this test than I was about tests in college, which would actually have an impact on my life! :)
Yup, nuth'n to sweat. It's just a hobby.
If you fail and you want another crack at it, just pay $15 and take it again right there. You'll get a different set of questions and probably pass easily.
The FCC's rules are strange. If you pass, it cost nothing to take the next level test (General, in your case). So, when you pass, take the General test even if you don't feel ready. You may suprise yourself, and even if you fail it cost nothing but the time and was good practice.

If you can consistently pass the tests on QRZ you will be fine. This is what I used and had no issues at all. Got 1 wrong on the tech test and 2 on the general and they were both stupid mistakes, I realized it after I turned the tests in

go get it !!
you will be at HRO or online searching for that 1st rig the same day

Uhm, yeah...I'm not real big on that whole "waiting" thing. My first radio is being delivered today. [smile] I know they're not much, but I ordered one of the Baofeng UV-5r's and a slim jim antenna. The wife and I are sort-of preppers and I figured that the Baofeng would do a decent job for emergency portable communications. Judging by what I've seen poking around online, it seems like this hobby is a lot like guns....it can get big and expensive in a hurry.

When I went to take mine last month I was nervous as hell, got in to take everything was ok and I passed. Then the what seemed like forever
I found my call sign on line.

If you can consistently pass the tests on QRZ you will be fine. This is what I used and had no issues at all. Got 1 wrong on the tech test and 2 on the general and they were both stupid mistakes, I realized it after I turned the tests in

I'm consistently getting 90-95% on the QRZ tests now. Feeling pretty comfortable.

On a side note, I made a trip up to Salem to check out Ham Radio Outlet with the wife last Saturday. Very bad for my wallet! I wound up getting a Kenwood TM-V71A, power supply and antenna. Now I have to focus on passing the test. :)

There were some things I knew already (the electronic stuff), some stuff that was common sense, some stuff I learned and some I memorized.
I is odd though how the same exact questions presented in a different format, on paper rather than a computer screen, can seem different.
Read the test questions carefully to avoid stupid mistakes.
I still have not purchased anything except my UV-5R. I have been hoping to find someone local to help with equipment selection so I dont waste money on crap I dont need or want.

There were some things I knew already (the electronic stuff), some stuff that was common sense, some stuff I learned and some I memorized.
I is odd though how the same exact questions presented in a different format, on paper rather than a computer screen, can seem different.
Read the test questions carefully to avoid stupid mistakes.
I still have not purchased anything except my UV-5R. I have been hoping to find someone local to help with equipment selection so I dont waste money on crap I dont need or want.

If you don't have any luck finding what you want locally, the guys at the HRO in Salem seem to be great. I went up to one of them and told him that I was new, was interested in a beginner level base station and might be interested in portable down the road. He took me over to where they had their portables, showed me three different models and explained the features and benefits of all of them, as well as demonstrating them. He specifically discouraged me from getting one of the pricier models that they had, as he felt the technology in that one was pretty iffy. I went with the Kenwood as it seemed to be a great match for my needs. They were also about $40 cheaper on that radio than Amazon....can't beat that with a brick and mortar store.

I found one question on the test that I never encountered on any of the online practice tests. That was the only one I made a mistake on, some regulatory crap that didn't make much sense :)

Back
Top Bottom