Allen West gets some ink...and it's epic

mikeyp

NES Member
Fullscreen-capture-952014-70800-PM.bmp.jpg

He is a great guy. I had an opportunity to spend a few hours with him and I'll tell you he is the real deal. Down to earth and a very nice guy.

This guy was up on an Article 32 hearing on the way to a general court martial and was "allowed" to retire from the Army rather than face a certain conviction. The antics for which he was charged were fine for Rambo but not for a lieutenant colonel who is supposed to set an example. He was swept into office in the 2010 wave and lasted one term.

This guy was up on an Article 32 hearing on the way to a general court martial and was "allowed" to retire from the Army rather than face a certain conviction. The antics for which he was charged were fine for Rambo but not for a lieutenant colonel who is supposed to set an example. He was swept into office in the 2010 wave and lasted one term.

Please provide the details around these "antics". Afraid they might not reflect well on your diatribe?

We need men of action. I'd rather follow a leader who has the guts to take chances than a man too paralyzed with fear to make a decision.

With the latter, you have a 50/50 chance of failure,

With the former you have the same chance, but have the positive will to overcome any obstacle. I say we move forward...

Actually I would of done the same same thing to protect my soliders.

"In testimony at an Article 32 hearing -- the military's version of a grand jury or preliminary hearing -- West said the policeman, Yahya Jhrodi Hamoody, was not cooperating with interrogators, so he watched four of his soldiers from the 220th Field Artillery Battalion beat the detainee on the head and body.

West said he also threatened to kill Hamoody. Military prosecutors say West followed up on that threat by taking the suspect outside, put him on the ground near a weapons clearing barrel and fired his 9 mm pistol into the barrel.

Apparently not knowing where West's gun was aimed, Hamoody cracked and gave information about the planned ambush on West's convoy, thwarting the attack.

West said there were no further ambushes on U.S. forces in Taji until he was relieved of his leadership post on October 4.

"I know the method I used was not right, but I wanted to take care of my soldiers," West testified to a military courtroom of observers and some teary-eyed troops formerly under his command.

Asked if he would have act differently if under similar circumstances again, West testified, "If it's about the lives of my soldiers at stake, I'd go through hell with a gasoline can."

Puckett argued that because West is always accompanied by U.S. troops that he acted to save American lives.

But while West's supporters call him a hero, military prosecutors said his actions amounted to torture and violated articles 128 and 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice."

"In testimony at an Article 32 hearing -- the military's version of a grand jury or preliminary hearing -- West said the policeman, Yahya Jhrodi Hamoody, was not cooperating with interrogators, so he watched four of his soldiers from the 220th Field Artillery Battalion beat the detainee on the head and body.

West said he also threatened to kill Hamoody. Military prosecutors say West followed up on that threat by taking the suspect outside, put him on the ground near a weapons clearing barrel and fired his 9 mm pistol into the barrel.

Apparently not knowing where West's gun was aimed, Hamoody cracked and gave information about the planned ambush on West's convoy, thwarting the attack.

West said there were no further ambushes on U.S. forces in Taji until he was relieved of his leadership post on October 4.

"I know the method I used was not right, but I wanted to take care of my soldiers," West testified to a military courtroom of observers and some teary-eyed troops formerly under his command.

Asked if he would have act differently if under similar circumstances again, West testified, "If it's about the lives of my soldiers at stake, I'd go through hell with a gasoline can."

Puckett argued that because West is always accompanied by U.S. troops that he acted to save American lives.

But while West's supporters call him a hero, military prosecutors said his actions amounted to torture and violated articles 128 and 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice."

Everything I have read, from men who actually saw combat tells me that war is complete chaos and is literally hell on earth.

I qualify the following statement with the fact that I have never served let alone seen combat.

Based on the above statement (War is hell) while sitting in my comfy chair, I see nothing wrong with the actions of Col. West.

The Germans and Japs committed far worse things to POWs and were never punished. What West did seems quite tame in comparison.

Sounds like a difficult position where the lines between the 'right' thing and the 'wrong' thing are blurred. He had to make a difficult decision. He did what he had to do for his people at the expense of his career. I'd call that honorable for sure.

These savages don't follow rules so why should we, you never win by playing nice.

As for 128 who cares if they threw the guy a beat down, they would have done a lot worse to West had they captured him.

As to 134, a discredit to who? A discredit to the service would have been him doing nothing and having more flagged draped boxes coming stateside. Screw those jackasses sitting safely in D.C. going home at the end of their day. You don't like how things are getting done, go do it yourself. I willing to bet their attitudes about how things are handled would change real fast if it were their ass to the fire.

It is my understanding of the Geneva Convention that it only protects uniformed combatants of declared combatant states. This does not include just anyone who wraps a towel on their head and takes up arms in the name of jihad. Al Quaeda is not a nation and a towel is not a uniform.

It also says that those who wear the uniform of the enemy can be summarily executed. Hamoody should have been shot and put through a meatgrinder with a pig!

War is horror. Your job in the field is to be more horrifying than your enemy. His mistake was that the whole thing came out. Do it out in the desert. Sand doesn't talk.
Otherwise, all I have to say is that this man had his priorities straight. In the field, the US forces need more Wests, and fewer nosy reporters.

If you excise the absurd PC bullshit from the ROE our troops were forced to fight under, there is a very specific piece of this story which is extraordinarily relevant, at least to me:

He disobeyed orders in order to protect his men, then fell on his sword. I wonder how many of his men testified voluntarily for the prosecution?

Sounds like an honorable man to me.

If he had run against the king in 2012 there would have been liberal heads imploding, because I don't think Col. West's racial heritage is half Caucasian. The 'more black' racial paradox would have caused liberal aneurisms.

The color of a man's skin is far less important than the color of his liver...

These savages don't follow rules so why should we, you never win by playing nice.

As for 128 who cares if they threw the guy a beat down, they would have done a lot worse to West had they captured him.

As to 134, a discredit to who? A discredit to the service would have been him doing nothing and having more flagged draped boxes coming stateside. Screw those jackasses sitting safely in D.C. going home at the end of their day. You don't like how things are getting done, go do it yourself. I willing to bet their attitudes about how things are handled would change real fast if it were their ass to the fire.

This. We have these turds decapitating reporters and others left and right, but *******s in this country want to somehow convey that we need to follow every rule of law to the letter. The irony is that these muslim idiots do not respect the rule of law. They operate by the law of the jungle and we will not be able to defeat them unless we confront them on the same basis. Frankly, we need to bring back leaders like West, McChrystal and Mattis, while relieving some of the current crop of clowns in general's attire.

West is damn legendary in my book. Guy got the job done. Had he not, the lives of those under his command would have been jeopardized. I find him heroic. Love for this guy to run for office...

This. We have these turds decapitating reporters and others left and right, but *******s in this country want to somehow convey that we need to follow every rule of law to the letter. The irony is that these muslim idiots do not respect the rule of law. They operate by the law of the jungle and we will not be able to defeat them unless we confront them on the same basis. Frankly, we need to bring back leaders like West, McChrystal and Mattis, while relieving some of the current crop of clowns in general's attire.

+1 here, but you are missing the point. They DO have a playbook, and they DO follow a rule of law. The playbook is their Fatwah, of which the only rule is WIN. Convert or die, take slaves, sex slaves or otherwise. Behead, murder, terrorize, subjugate. Spread the influence of Allah.

The spineless in .gov by and large refuse to get the point, and that is the weakness they are successfully exploiting to our collective peril. Any thoughts of what a dirty bomb set off on Wall Street would do to our economy? They have the route (southern 'border'). They have the will, obviously. They now have the means. http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/world/meast/iraq-crisis/ Prepare accordingly.

The inaction by the king and his minions is treason.

I don't agree with him on a few issues but he had to do what he had to do. And he saved American lives.

I hope he returns to public service.

He's a hero, and no doubt because of him there are guys still alive who would not have survived their tours in that region. He lost his seat in Congress because the Dems were so afraid of him rising through the ranks that they gerrymandered his district out from under him.

I have no problem with the way he conducted himself to protect his troops. It says a lot about his character as a leader and a person. If only more our our leaders followed his example. We treat these people with kid gloves, they take full advantage of it and we get screwed in the end. If our enemy isn't going to follow the rules of the Geneva Convention, then why should we?

I follow Allen West on Facebook and so far I agree with over 90% of his views and politics. If he ran for office, I'd vote for him.

I have no problem with the way he conducted himself to protect his troops. It says a lot about his character as a leader and a person. If only more our our leaders followed his example. We treat these people with kid gloves, they take full advantage of it and we get screwed in the end. If our enemy isn't going to follow the rules of the Geneva Convention, then why should we?

I follow Allen West on Facebook and so far I agree with over 90% of his views and politics. If he ran for office, I'd vote for him.

I'd vote for him, and provide time and $ to support a candidacy.

Antics?

You've obviously never served in combat. What LTC West did was to no doubt save lives with his "antics". You, similar to the arm chair quarterbacks, are judging a situation based upon the rules of war as prescribed by some manual.

My mission in Vietnam was "dustoff" aka medical evacuation by helicopter. Per the rules of the Geneva Convention we were not supposed to carry arms except those to protect our patients. We did, however, when called upon, carry resupply ordinance to any unit in need very much against the tenets of the Geneva Convention. I know, we set a poor example, but saved lives by doing so. I'm sure the arm chair quarterbacks would suggest a court-martial for such an offense.

Last edited:
Never heard of the guy, but sounds like he did the exact right thing. I mean, the enemy combatant was never in any mortal danger, it sounds like. He used psychological warfare and it worked. He and his men survived. One of my patients, who recently passed away [likely the result of agent orange] disobeyed the rules of engagement in Vietnam, and he and his men were the only ones of a much larger group who survived. I'll have to do some research. Apparently he was interviewed for a documentary on Vietnam.

Hmmm. Hand tying rules of engagement in 'Nam. Hand tying rules of engagement in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm sure we'll have the same hand tying rules of engagement when we start going after the IS-holes.

Because flag-draped coffins get the sheeple to hand over their rights to the .gov in exchange for "keeping us safe" faster than quick and decisive victories with very few of our soldiers being killed or wounded.

Antics?

You've obviously never served in combat. What LTC West did was to no doubt save lives with his "antics". You, similar to the arm chair quarterbacks, are judging a situation based upon the rules of war as prescribed by some manual.

The facts are that West was not some 19-year-old lance corporal six months out of ITR. At the time of the incident he had 21 years of service, was a battalion commander, and was expected to meet standards that he had had 21 years to think about. The Army concluded that he did not live up to those standards, and offered him a choice between certain conviction by a GCM or a voluntary retirement. There are layers of expectations that exist in these situations, starting with the UCMJ and ending up in the Law of War. He failed to meet those expectations.

Last edited:
The facts are that West was not some 19-year-old lance corporal six months out of ITR. At the time of the incident he had 21 years of service, was a battalion commander, and was expected to meet standards that he had had 21 years to think about. The Army concluded that he did not live up to those standards, and offered him a choice between certain conviction by a GCM or a voluntary retirement. There are layers of expectations that exist in these situations, starting with the UCMJ and ending up in the Law of War. He failed to meet those expectations.

Judged by remf's and arm chair quarterbacks like yourself.

Back
Top Bottom