all those with an m1a

ive been tossing the idea around of getting a semi auto in .308 and there were many threads on here discussing fals, hks, ptr's and m1a's

i love the feel of a pistol grip over a standard rifle grip
id like a fal but dont want to chance getting one that has problems
i wanted a hk 91 but cant afford one...i could save up but i tend to spend my money too quickly
i was really interested i nthe ptr's until i learned that i cant get the one i want here in MA
so i think ive settled on an m1a

my question to you owners out there is which model do you guys prefer? i fell in love with the socom 16 when it first came out and vowed to get one. in my opinion the socom is more of a cqb weapon than anything which i dont mind, i really just want a semi in .308...i wasnt a fan of the socom II but after getting an AR and loving all the mountable accessories its starting to grow on me

i also love the loaded m1a with the synthetic stock, and was kinda looking at the scout models too

any opinions or persuasions in any direction is appreciated

Not my opinion, but just what I've read through the other gun forums rumor mill...

The SOCOM is a hit or miss (mostly miss), seems like a lot of owners have had problems with theirs. Altough from what else I've read, Springfield Armorys products in general have problems (I guess it's quality control).

Since you're so enamoured with your AR [smile], you could get a .308 built on the AR platform.

DPMS has several offerings.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/308_series.asp

Armalite also has severl AR-15/.308 offerings worth checking out.

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles.htm

Last edited:
I've got an M1A National Match in the traditional M14 configuration, which I love. If you prefer the pistol grip style of the AR15, I'd suggest that you look at Armalite and other quality AR15 manufacturers and search for AR10 listings. The original AR10 was Armalite's late entry in the testing for a replacement for the M1, which resulted in the selection of the M14. Armalite later made a version of the rifle in .223, the AR15, which eventually became the M16.

Ken

I have a SOCOM 16, and it works great. I can hit stationary clays at 100 meters with iron sights, and thats about all I need. I'm sure it can be more accurate, if you wew to bed it into a stock. Mine pretty much falls out of the stock when you disassemble it, so I'm sure you can't get incredible groups out of it. But, for CQB and medium range man-sized targets, it is great. Forget the SOCOM II, that front end is unbelievably heavy. Haven't had any problems with my SOCOM.

I've got an AR10. It does feel like a big, heavy AR15. Basic ergonomics are good. Magazines are a bit of an issue -- it's easy to insert them but not get them all the way locked up. Result is that first round fires, second round doesn't chamber.

My M1A is in the standard configuration. Works for me. I agree with dvajda about the SOCOM II -- unless you're a built like a moose they're just too heavy.

Save your money and get the rack/standard grade SA M1a.

Mine holds 1.25 inches with the scope on it at 100 yrds. They are as accurate as you'll ever need unless sniper requirements are needed.

The higher end M1a's are not that much more accurate. I recommend the m9106 model.

Brownie

Back
Top Bottom