all this ar talk....... i think you got me

is it cheaper to buy or build? i would perfer to build one,but i have not the slighted clue where to start,or whats good or junk or legal or not.like i said im a ar virgin,please help me learn.

www.ar15.com

All you could want to read, and more. I suggest building, it's more expensive but you get what you want, the first time around. Too many AR manufacturers out there are producing crap. And no, i'm not mentioning names, just google it.

I would say build one.

You can build them how you want, not pay retail + markup and have a bunch of parts you never wanted in the first place.

Lower receivers are plentiful. Don't pay 200+ for one. Call a few shops. They still have them. If they didn't, there no way I could have ended up with 6 in the past 2 months. There was a day that I could have bought 15 of them...but what for?

Lower parts kits are harder to find but you can still find them. You'll pay 70-85 for them rather than 60-65 but I've taken dumps that cost more than the price difference.

When I look for parts, I can find them. It may be harder to find than before but they are still there and you can still get good deals.

As far as upper recievers or full uppers are concerned, I will be going the used route and picking up some on AR15.com's equipment exchange. People are always selling uppers there.

My lowers were $130, parts kit were 70. That's $200 + $100 for a stock.
Then all I need is the upper which will cost me about 450 to 600. If I want to go fancy I can spend more if I want.
I think if I wanted an AR and didn't care so much about the components I could build one for about 800 right now.

Last edited:
Are you offering to build them for NES'rs? I'll pay $1000![grin]

Ha! No thanks.
As much as I like to help out I have way too much on my plate now.
Plus, I know some of you guys on here are way too picky I don't want to get in the way of a man and his gun.

+1 to build one. You spec it out to how you want it. It is going to be more expensive but it is more 'yours' in the long run and odds are your going to be changing out parts so why pay for the stuff you don't want?

if you want a couple links to sites that have an active AR trading community, just IM me.

Last edited:
build one and you'll get what you want... but if you dont have any specifics that you want, you might as well buy; especially since you likely won't find all/most parts these days.

I've built $600 ARs, I've built $1500 ARs

Back
Top Bottom