"All lawful purposes", automatic denial of ltc renewal

The assumption is the person on the other end of this statement will apply reason as well. Sadly it doesn't sound that way.

Sorry OP that you have to ask this silly question in the first place.

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Well, haven't posted in a really long time but I find myself in another quandary regarding ltc renewal in my town. This forum was a great help last time I needed advice, so here we go.

My town will not accept "all lawful purposes" as a reason for a unrestricted ltc renewal. ................

Any suggestions on what to write?

I've posted this before. Rhode Island, does not accept "ALP" at all for a carry permit. I can put down a host of things like I have a C&R license, which has been proven to be an "acceptable" reason. I am also an NRA Certified instructor, and a range officer at my club. All of these are known to work in R.I.

As for what you should write, avoid things like target shooting or they might issue a restricted license.

This sounds pretty good except I would leave out my things since most places don't want you to use deadly force to protect things.

I might put something like: To protect and defend myself and my loved ones from harm and to enjoy the shooting sports. Although no matter what you put they'll probably find someone to turn it against you in this state.

I was told the same thing. So I wrote " I want to protect myself, my loved ones, and my things from anyone meaning to do us harm. Anywhere and at any time. In a lawful manner" It worked.

Good Luck!

How about " because Massachusetts requires that I beg for permission to exercise a constitutionally protected right to own a firearm and if I don't renew my permission slip I can't own firearms, even though I've owned them for the past 6 without any incident. But I enjoy owning firearms which brings us back to the reason why I'm filling out this silly form". Guarantee that will work. Trust me…..

So you take a step backwards in time and write Personal Protection.

"What specifically are you afraid of? Oh, it's a general fear. That sounds like you're paranoid. Unsuitable! Denied."

Of course I'm recycling this from when Personal Protection was in common use and everyone started switching to ALP.

OP, you have a lot of good advice here. Some wording for the application and to contact Comm2A.

FYI, ALP works in Chelsea for an unrestricted LTC!

This sounds pretty good except I would leave out my things since most places don't want you to use deadly force to protect things.

I might put something like: To protect and defend myself and my loved ones from harm and to enjoy the shooting sports. Although no matter what you put they'll probably find someone to turn it against you in this state.
Agree. Where is Len when you need him?
LEEEEEEN? I believe Deadly force is not used for the protection of "stuff" its for people.

The only thing I have ever written on that line is, "I have the constitutional right to own and bear arms and wish to exercise that right." I have never had a restricted license.

After reading a lot here I attached a 2 page letter to my LTC application in a green town. Figured it couldn't hurt and, if you've ever read my posts here, you can probably guess that 2 pages isn't too hard for me to bang out. :D

I went for my interview and they asked if I would mind removing the letter and just putting ALP, because otherwise they would have to enter all the stuff I wrote into the computer.

If it were me, I would just write a little essay on why I needed an unrestricted license, but I know that's a bigger ask for some people.

I would never want to piss off the cops in my own town (maybe because they have always been very straightforward with me and didn't engage in some of the hijinx other towns do) but, if things got too out of control, I would put together a dissertation with footnotes and see how they liked that. :D

"For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, transfer, own and collect all large capacity pistols,rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting and personal protection."

(In and outside the home)

"For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, transfer, own and collect all large capacity pistols,rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting and personal protection."

(In and outside the home)

Because all of that is going to fit on the LTC. [smile]

I was told by instructor at my safety class not to put down ALP. So I wrote the above carry,collect,target etc letter. This is in Lynn. The firearms clerk doing my application said they only accept And issue ALP applications/licenses. Had to redo form. Maybe you should move?

I went for my interview and they asked if I would mind removing the letter and just putting ALP, because otherwise they would have to enter all the stuff I wrote into the computer.

When I went for the interview, I had written some crap about inheriting my father's guns, and the ability to lawfully carry for self defense if I ever felt the need. The cop didn't even ask. He just typed in "ALP"

I was told by instructor at my safety class not to put down ALP. So I wrote the above carry,collect,target etc letter. This is in Lynn. The firearms clerk doing my application said they only accept And issue ALP applications/licenses. Had to redo form. Maybe you should move?

Saugus is like that too. They don't dick around with neutered licenses.

OP:

The only important thing for you, now, is that you get the wording right to get what you want.

Other towns' more reasonable polices are not relevant to you.

Go with the succinct language, that covers all possibilities (not protection of property) that people suggested above.

Good luck!

Agree. Where is Len when you need him?
LEEEEEEN? I believe Deadly force is not used for the protection of "stuff" its for people.

You are correct. In MA you can NOT protect property by use of deadly force, period!

My Wife and I have always only put down ALP (or previously "protection" back in the day) and never had a problem with it. But we have significant (good) history in the town and are well respected so even the 2 a-hole chiefs we had over the years didn't give us grief. I suspect that others, unknown to the police in town likely have to justify their "need" and for most towns putting down "2A" related response here will not end well for the applicant.

I live in the same town. I think your anxiety is kicking in. I would not worry about it. Chief Ambrose is a stand up guy as is the Detetive in charge of the process. Not even sure what I wrote. Think the Detetive just asked me and I said something like I'm
on the road all hours of the night. Danvers now has set days so no waiting for interviews and they suggest starting the process early. So really much to do about nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom