All American Favorite

Very nice. I have a Springfield 1911 but its a 1986, would love to have a WWII era. My American collection needs a 1903 still as I have a M1 Garand, M1 carbine, M1A1, and two AR's (5.56, 6.8)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Ouch! Idiot mark extends up into the slide!! (Not to say that isn't a beautiful pistol. Just never seen the scratch go that high.)

Have you shot it yet?

Last edited:
I have not shot it yet, but soon hopefully. An older guy at my club told me (as did the moderator on the 1911 forum) that almost all of these pistols have the mark, because that was how the soldiers were trained. They had to be able to get the gun together in the dark or in a fox hole, so they were told to get the pistol together and not to worry about esthetics. If its a military 1911/1911A1 and it doesn't have the assembly/idiot mark, it was probably unissued.

Last edited:
Get out there and shoot her! Is the recoil spring still stout? I would install a new Wolff 18lb spring regardless. Keep the original spring of course.

I have not shot it yet, but soon hopefully. An older guy at my club told me (as did the moderator on the 1911 forum) that almost all of these pistols have the mark, because that was how the soldiers were trained. They had to be able to get the gun together in the dark or in a fox hole, so they were told to get the pistol together and not to worry about esthetics. If its a military 1911/1911A1 and it doesn't have the assembly/idiot mark, it was probably unissued.

That being said, I agree that my scratch is one of the longest I've seen. At least the mark matches the slide to the frame. The glass is always half full........

Interesting.... For some reason there have been a lot of Remington Rand 1911's on the market recently. Must have come out of the same warehouses..... Mine is late 43 and the a "field assembly mark" isn't as long. Still it's a nice, true representation of our standard issue sidearm. Nice score!

RemingtonRand003a.jpg

That being said, I agree that my scratch is one of the longest I've seen. At least the mark matches the slide to the frame. The glass is always half full........

My 1911 was my Dad's when he was in WWII, it doesn't have the idiot mark.
Colt 1.jpg Colt 2.jpg Colt 3.jpg View attachment 28264

Back
Top Bottom