All Aboard, And Bring Your Guns Starting December 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak Passengers Can Bring Firearms On Trains Starting Dec. 15

"Once this takes effect," said Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, "you would be able to check, for example, a dozen AK-47s onto an Amtrak train -- and once they're on there, the baggage car's not secure like a cargo hold of an airplane."

Starting in two weeks, train travelers will be able to check handguns, shotguns, rifles and starter pistols at stations that offer checked baggage service, including the stations in New York, Boston, Chicago and Washington, D.C.

READ MORE

It's not long until metal detectors and full body x-ray machines are deployed for public transportation at Amtrak stations. There's a reason they're doing this and it's not because they want to make it easier for you to travel with your firearms.

Handguns in checked baggage in New York City.[laugh] That bag better not leave the train or you have got some serious problems.

There's a three page thread here that also talked about this from a few days ago. As I posted in that thread, the change was made in The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010 which was signed by the President back on December 16, 2009, and goes into effect on December 15, 2010.

Per the Amtrak Baggage Policy page...
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267293829
Firearms in Checked Baggage
The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearms carriage in checked baggage on December 15, 2010; starting on this date all passengers wishing to check firearms or ammunition will be required to follow the Firearms Policy.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1248542758975
Firearms in Checked Baggage
Effective December 15, 2010, passengers will be allowed to check unloaded firearms and ammunition between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains that offer checked baggage service. The following policies apply:

Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.

All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier.

All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lb/23 kg.

Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.

All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lb/5 kg.

The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.

All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lb/23 kg).

Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.

At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.

BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage.

Notice: Passengers failing to meet the above-mentioned requirements for checking firearms will be denied transportation.

ETA: The current, until Dec. 15th, 2010 list of prohibited items in checked or carry-on baggage on Amtrak.
Prohibited Items
The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon. (See note below regarding firearms in checked baggage)

Incendiaries, including flammable gases, liquids and fuels.

Large, sharp objects such as axes, ice picks and swords.

Corrosive or dangerous chemicals or materials, such as liquid bleach, tear gas, mace, radioactive and harmful bacteriological materials.

Batteries with acid that can spill or leak (except those batteries used in motorized wheelchairs or similar devices for mobility-impaired passengers).

Club-like items, such as billy clubs and nightsticks.

Fragile and/or valuable items, including but not limited to electronic equipment.(Laptop computers and handheld devices may be carried onboard; however, Amtrak accepts no liability for damage.)

Animals (except service animals).

Oversized and/or overweight items.

This is not an exhaustive list. Any item similar to those listed, even if not specifically mentioned here, is prohibited from being carried onboard or checked as baggage.

Last edited:
There's a three page thread here that also talked about this from a few days ago. As I posted in that thread, the change was made in The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010 which was signed by the President back on December 16, 2009, and goes into effect on December 15, 2010.

Per the Amtrak Baggage Policy page...
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267293829

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1248542758975

ETA: The current, until Dec. 15th, 2010 list of prohibited items in checked or carry-on baggage on Amtrak.

So as long as I have the gun on my person, it's ok to carry on Amtrak? Assuming you have the appropriate licenses in the various states you travel thru???

So as long as I have the gun on my person, it's ok to carry on Amtrak? Assuming you have the appropriate licenses in the various states you travel thru???

Since we've got two threads going, I will also re-post...

I see nothing there that prevents CCW. My gun on my side is not carry on baggage any more than my cell phone is.

I believe that (as with airlines) it's prohibited by 18 U.S.C. 922(e)...

...any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18...2----000-.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom