albanian sks

Just picked up this sks but someone painted it with a black textured material. its a 1968 dated one with the magazine and the bolt mismatched. Anyone have any ideas on removing the upper coat of paint without damaging the finish underneath? Now for the picture.

DSC_0489.jpg

acetone would get the paint off, but it'd likely take whatever finish lies underneath it. I honestly don't know how you'd be able to keep any laquer or shelac that might be underneath the paint. Steel wool might work, but it'd be a bitch as it'd gum up pretty easily.

I'd just be very light with an acetone soaked rag. Dry the surface as you work the paint off. Then rub any loose paint off. Time consuming, but it might work.

BTW, nice SKSs dude!

I dunno what the typical finish is on an SKS, but my first guess would be that the previous owner already removed it so they could apply the black paint (don't think paint would apply correctly to a lacquer).

Try some paint stripper. The factory finish is likely long gone, so it's doubtful you will damage it. I have used it to strip various items with several layers of paint with good results. If someone went through the trouble of painting it, it has probably already seen sandpaper, and I don't have any idea as what will remove paint yet leave the varnish intact. Unless you plan to refinish it yourself, why not just leave it black? It doesn't look bad, and maybe buy an original stock at some point that has a good finish? It already has mismatched parts, so a new stock isn't going to hurt. If not, just strip and refinish what you have.

Remove the stock and handguard wood and strip them with paint stripper made for removing paint from furniture. Natural citrus based products usually work well.

After following the manufacturer's info on paint removal, let the stock and handguard dry well and then buff it down with some 600 grit sandpaper to get rid of any raised wood grain or rough spots on the wood. Wipe clean with denatured alcohol and then mix amber shellac with denatured alcohol and apply. I like Zinsser Bulls Eye shellac. Its easy to use and has clear instructions that any newbie can follow. A mix of 2 parts shellac to 1 part denatured alcohol should work well but I suggest practicing on scrap wood first so you get an understanding on how fast it dries and the best ways to apply it.

Looks like some Bubba tried to make it into a tactical looking SKS or at worst case, the stock has damage like a split, crack, or dings, and someone tried to cover them up ala VZ-52 bed liner type finish. If you don't feel comfortable doing the job yourself and you're anywhere near the southeast area of Mass, I'll do it for you for $80 just because I hate to see a nice SKS with a F'ed up finish.

I used some zip strip and took the paint right off. I guess the previous owner was trying to cover up a bunch of soldier art. Some cool stuff carved into it. Ill post some pictures when I put some shellac on it. An off topic question can someone tell me why my yugo has two set of serial numbers. All the numbers match that are stamped and then most have a second set of serial numbers E.P. into them.

I used some zip strip and took the paint right off. I guess the previous owner was trying to cover up a bunch of soldier art. Some cool stuff carved into it. Ill post some pictures when I put some shellac on it. An off topic question can someone tell me why my yugo has two set of serial numbers. All the numbers match that are stamped and then most have a second set of serial numbers E.P. into them.

People I know (including myself) search for SKS rifles with stock carvings. Please do post some finished pics so we can see them.

As for the Yugo, its a common thing because it was done during re-arsenal process.

The 68 Alby is one of the rarest of the bunch! If there is any way to undo bubba and bring it back close to original, then you will really have something!

Alright heres some pictures of my Alby after the refinishing thanks for the tip on the shellac sksray, over all I think it looks pretty good a couple of repairs courtesy of the previous owner on the handguards but im fine with it especially for the price I paid ($340 with an extra stock). Well here they are enjoy!

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Here it is with a Soviet friend
DSC_0059.jpg

And just for fun heres a couple of recent additions, top is a Polish TTC in really good shape bought from a distributer the other day with a Romanian TTC.

DSC_0061.jpg

And last is a K31 I picked up from another importer who was having a sale on them, also in the picture is my CMP garand also have another Springfield M1 commercial in the safe.

DSC_0062.jpg

A very righteous endeavor! I like what you've done, Matt. That is a piece of Balkan history that you have restored on a very collectible gun.

Back
Top Bottom