• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK FSB. Leave it be?

mac and akou local 47-74 say it's the nature of the beast more times than not and "leave it, it is what it is."

my arsenal is like that...oh well. i gave a few light taps with a plastic mallet to the rear sight cause THAT looked bent shall we say, almost twisted. it fixed the issue and now that post is close to center. arsenal in las vegas was no help. said the rifle is built to sloppy military specs, expect it. wait! that's why i paid 1200 bucks...to get a close to perfection ak. sooo sorry. shit, i could have bought a wasr for 400.

interesting that when you read the replies you know who owns an ak and who doesn't.

sorry but having a Smith “fix” the front sight before shooting it....is just asking for bad luck. My guess is that when canted the front sight post didn’t require as much windage.

honestly its an AK I would just shoot it and not worry, but then again I consider an AK on par with a can opener or shoehorn.
I shot it quite a bit before hand, and it was still printing a ways off from POI. However you are partially correct in your statement, I should have bought a decent sight tool and tried messing with it beforehand. I just figured it was already near its max adjustment.

Last edited:
mac and akou local 47-74 say it's the nature of the beast more times than not and "leave it, it is what it is."

my arsenal is like that...oh well. i gave a few light taps with a plastic mallet to the rear sight cause THAT looked bent shall we say, almost twisted. it fixed the issue and now that post is close to center. arsenal in las vegas was no help. said the rifle is built to sloppy military specs, expect it. wait! that's why i paid 1200 bucks...to get a close to perfection ak. sooo sorry. shit, i could have bought a wasr for 400.

interesting that when you read the replies you know who owns an ak and who doesn't.
I’ve never had a problem with my lowly Wasr. Im just a bit OCD when it comes to that damned front sight post. My MAK though... she’s a prom queen. I just wish they came with optics rails and I am not about to ruin the collectors value of that rifle by having one put on.

i've seen youtube vids on fixing an ak front sight...removing the pin, moving the sight, redrilling another pin channel into the barrel... shit, it's beyond what most people can do in their garage. you need skills but if you have those skills why not give it a go.

I shot it quite a bit before hand, and it was still printing a ways off from POI. However you are partly correct in your statement, I should have bought a decent sight tool and tried messing with it beforehand. I just figured it was already near its max adjustment.

my Riley defense 47 is the only ak I actually shoot, and the front post is pretty far over to the right. Despite that it still prints about 3 inches to the R at 100 yards. If I’m going out past 200 yards I just adjust my hold to the left. If this were an AR I would insist on fixing it, but for AK I just don’t care. then again I don’t own any high end AKs in which case I might feel differently.

i've seen youtube vids on fixing an ak front sight...removing the pin, moving the sight, redrilling another pin channel into the barrel... shit, it's beyond what most people can do in their garage. you need skills but if you have those skills why not give it a go.
I’m pretty mechanically inclined but I don’t own a shop press and when it comes to guns i’d rather not risk screwing anything up.

The bore sight distance shouldn't matter to windage. Elevation will change based on zero distance, but once you have the windage set on an AK you shouldn't have to adjust it - especially that much!

Back in the glory days of kits I had many AKs, RPKs, and a few PSLs. I swear every one of them had something canted, whether it was the front sight, gas block, rear sight base or more than one of these. Sometimes the entire barrel assembly looked pretty good, but it was canted when it was installed in the trunion. The worst had multiple parts canted in opposite directions. Romanian rifles in particular seem to have issues with canting, and it's not uncommon to see sight posts all the way to one side like yours because the front sight assembly is canted in the opposite direction.

Before trying to figure out a solution, it's important to deterine out what's really canted. Take a close look at all the parts attached to the barrel, and look at how the barrel assembly is inserted into the trunion. Front sight canting is the easiest to spot, but this may not be the issue here.

This is what I did, oversized pins after twisting it. Before you re drill loosen the sight by driving out old pins and bring to a range and shoot it and adjust till sight is centered. Then bring home and drill and pin again.

sorry but having a Smith “fix” the front sight before shooting it....is just asking for bad luck. My guess is that when canted the front sight post didn’t require as much windage.

honestly its an AK I would just shoot it and not worry, but then again I consider an AK on par with a can opener or shoehorn.

Shovel as demonstrated eight years ago by @Boris ...

I’ve got...let’s just say a few AK’s. Only the one I had built by Krebs Customs has the front sight post in the center.

The guys that mentioned early on that the FSP cant was there for a reason are 100% spot on. Your post was probably close to dead center between the ears back then, correct?

The longer you own AK’s and the more of them you own, the less OCD you will become, and you will learn to accept their awesomeness for what they are...one of the most reliable mass-produced weapons in the history of warfare (and the ammo is still reasonably cheap too!)

Breathe. Your groups are tight. Next time you have the opportunity to take it out to 200yds, your adjustments should be VERY small from where you are. Maybe you’ll get lucky and it will have to come back a little toward center. Regardless, I would personally leave it right where it is.

Don’t just learn to live with it...learn to love it, Comrade!

I bought my first AK because it was cheap and fun as hell to shoot...they got progressively more expensive, but I still get all giddy when I rack the bolt.

I’ve got...let’s just say a few AK’s. Only the one I had built by Krebs Customs has the front sight post in the center.

The guys that mentioned early on that the FSP cant was there for a reason are 100% spot on. Your post was probably close to dead center between the ears back then, correct?

The longer you own AK’s and the more of them you own, the less OCD you will become, and you will learn to accept their awesomeness for what they are...one of the most reliable mass-produced weapons in the history of warfare (and the ammo is still reasonably cheap too!)

Breathe. Your groups are tight. Next time you have the opportunity to take it out to 200yds, your adjustments should be VERY small from where you are. Maybe you’ll get lucky and it will have to come back a little toward center. Regardless, I would personally leave it right where it is.

Don’t just learn to live with it...learn to love it, Comrade!

I bought my first AK because it was cheap and fun as hell to shoot...they got progressively more expensive, but I still get all giddy when I rack the bolt.
I got into AKs for much the same reason as you. I fired my first AK at Manchester firing line when I was 16 and from then on I was hooked. The post was still favoring one side before I had the block straightened, so I guess I should have just left it alone in the first place! Oh well. We will see what happens when I take it out to some distance, hopefully this weekend. Regardless, the rifle has treated me well with nary a hickup since i’ve owned it.

at 20yds your groups should be under a half inch. You can't really derive anything at that distance so I would take it out and run it to 50 and 100.

Back
Top Bottom