• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK FSB. Leave it be?

Howdy everyone, I spent a couple hours yesterday sighting in the MAK 90 and Wasr 10. Both guns were shooting very tight 5 shot groups from a makeshift rest at about 20 yards. Daylight was running out so I didn’t get a chance to confirm at a longer range. The MAK 90 front sight is near centered, and required little adjustment, however the Wasr 10 is near maxed out as far as windage goes. What puzzles me is that I had the canted FSB straightened out and bore-sighted by a gunsmith. Should I just leave it be? It doesn’t seem to obscure my sight picture, but looking at it is driving me nuts. Thinking about switching out the rear leaf for an adjustable RPK sight. 0608B4D1-A8E9-4DC8-8D20-17D481F90FA0.jpeg

There may have been a reason it was canted lol when some of those hastily made com-block guns were built I'm sure some of em were a little crooked for a reason.

There may have been a reason it was canted lol when some of those hastily made com-block guns were built I'm sure some of em were a little crooked for a reason

WASRs aren't CommBloc, they're all relatively recent production guns made for Century by Cugir.

OP, if it bothers you, throw on a red dot. Does your WASR have a side rail? If so, get an RS Regulate mount. If not, you'll need an AK Master Mount, then a RS Regulate. Otherwise, yeah, leave it alone. All depends on what you intend to do with your AK.

View attachment 431132

That would bother me too. You adjusted while shooting or your gunsmith bore sighted like that?
It was perfectly centered when bore-sighted and returned to me. When I shot it a couple weekends ago the POI was way off. Thats when I purchased the magnatic sight tool to get me on target, and thats the result. Im wondering if thats just how its going to be if i want a straight front sight block, and it is definitely straightened out.

It was perfectly centered when bore-sighted and returned to me. When I shot it a couple weekends ago the POI was way off. Thats when I purchased the magnatic sight tool to get me on target, and thats the result. Im wondering if thats just how its going to be if i want a straight front sight block, and it is definitely straightened out.
What distance was it sighted to vs how far you were shooting?

WASRs aren't CommBloc, they're all relatively recent production guns made for Century by Cugir.

OP, if it bothers you, throw on a red dot. Does your WASR have a side rail? If so, get an RS Regulate mount. If not, you'll need an AK Master Mount, then a RS Regulate. Otherwise, yeah, leave it alone. All depends on what you intend to do with your AK.
It does, was actually planning on an RS regulate 301 full length rail and a PA micro dot or other aimpoint base compatible dot.

It does, was actually planning on an RS regulate 301 full length rail and a PA micro dot or other aimpoint base compatible dot.

Send it, then. Consider a more forward upper mount because red dots don't have magnification and thus an eyebox. A little weight savings is a good thing.

Take it to Tim, he has a his gunsmithing business on the side of gartman arms in Wrentham.

Last edited:
I’ll give the smith who worked on it a ring tomorrow. I was curious to see where it impacted at a longer distance. I can’t imagine there would be a large deviation regarding windage at longer ranges though?

Last edited:
I’ll give the smith who worked on it a ring tomorrow. I was curious to see where it impacted at a longer distance. I can’t imagine there would be a large deviation regarding windage at linger ranges though?
Its a wasr. Who knows . Also front sight may be a bit too far left. He may be able to fix that

I’ll give the smith who worked on it a ring tomorrow. I was curious to see where it impacted at a longer distance. I can’t imagine there would be a large deviation regarding windage at linger ranges though?

Seriously, you didn’t bend the barrel on the way home did you? The way that thing is sighted it like it could shoot around corners lol

Mines actually a 10/63. If I am correct, those were demilled military rifles built on new recievers. The trunnion has the arrow-triangle stamp. I believe it’s year marked as ‘71.

Last edited:
Seriously, you didn’t bend the barrel on the way home did you? The way that thing is sighted it like it could shoot around corners lol
Haha it seems straight to me and like I said, it was shooting pretty tight groups, albeit at a shorter distance.

FWIW, I used a gunsmith that was recommended to me on here, and from what i’ve read he does great work. I’ll see what he says in the AM. Considering that sight adjustments have a greater effect at longer distances, maybe that could be my issue.

sorry but having a Smith “fix” the front sight before shooting it....is just asking for bad luck. My guess is that when canted the front sight post didn’t require as much windage.

honestly its an AK I would just shoot it and not worry, but then again I consider an AK on par with a can opener or shoehorn.

Back
Top Bottom