• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AK build in progress.

colt_fan

NES Member
This AK peasant rifle bullshit building all started with the Maadi Crutch Folder thread.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/build-yourself/172418-first-maadi-kit-arrived-today.html

Wow, that looks really cool and the kit was pretty cheap. All I needed to do was buy a receiver and do the 922r compliance bullshit make it kosher. I got 2 Maadi Crutch and 1 Romanian Kit around the middle of Sept. I also ordered a 3 receivers (still waiting on them) from 74ullc at that time as well.

20130311_224350_zpsc2711143.jpg

As I wait for the receivers to come in, I look at other AK builds and saw this one.

DSC04052.jpg

Wow! That motherfocker is sexy and would be a great truck gun.

Because I had ordered 3 receivers and I was in the build queue, I was able to change one of them to a Khyber Pass. One of the Maadi kits I had purchased looked like a drunk gorilla used his feet to demilled it. No matching numbers and a lot of grind marks on the trunnions.

More waiting and fapping, I buy more parts without doing research. Now my Maadi kit looks like this, I think this is the sexiest of truck guns!

20130311_224946_zps7b87196a.jpg

20130311_225430_zps2365015b.jpg

Now I need to convert an AKM into a Krinkov, WTF was I thinking? I've been looking at buying the Krinkov pieces, like the gas tube and a M92 front sight gas block. Other people that have cut down the gas tube with success.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116198
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notesak/akpistolbuild/pageakpistolbuild.shtml

The sight radius is going to suck because I don't have the proper dust cover, I figure I'll mount a dot sight to it for now. Then maybe re-populate the barrel with the rear hinge block thingy and get the appropriate cover later on. I might get lucky and find them before the receiver comes in. I highly doubt I will want to re-populate the barrel though.

Then there are the tools, since I'm going to be building 3. Having tools made would save a lot of grief and aggrevation.

20130228_213425_zpsa75dbc91.jpg

I'm still waiting on the reamers and a few other small tools before I press the barrels. Hopefully they will arrive this week so I can populate the barrels before the end of the month. I plan on doing the Romy one first because it was the least expensive of the 3 in terms of parts.

The moral of the AK build post today is do more research before buying parts here and there. I did not fully realize that things were not that compatible. But I'm sure that Flintoid and Boris would tell me that with enough Vodka everything can be made compatible.

Last edited:
you got your vodka theory right.

That will be a nice kypher- all that klingon sandscrit shit on it and a triangle folder will be nice. If you have to chop and just "make shit work" that's pretty much the definition of a kypher rifle.

badass.

where'd you get the krink barrel? Bluejack?

You have the cleanest workbench I have ever seen.

Good luck with the builds. I am waiting on two barrels and receivers to do another couple of Maadis. The first two have been to the range, and are a lot of fun to shoot.

You have the cleanest workbench I have ever seen.

Good luck with the builds. I am waiting on two barrels and receivers to do another couple of Maadis. The first two have been to the range, and are a lot of fun to shoot.

Your builds were very impressive. Building your first AK by populating a virgin barrel is a lot steeper of a learning curve than making them from torch cut parts kits or pre-assembled AK-builder kits.

Getting bored, so I started to re-size the gas tube. Will cut it down once I get everything populated. I started to use a small bench arbor press but it's too small for me finish the trunnion. That and the fact that I'm using a a piece of 4' pipe to get more leverage.

Before:
20130313_225524_zpse1552738.jpg

During:
20130313_225623_zps74d194f0.jpg

20130313_225554_zps1fc67fd6.jpg

Cut off part of the gas tube to practice expanding the crimped area to fit over the gas block. Heated up the tube till it was red hot and then pressed in metric sockets to slowly expand the area. This method actually worked very well, except that 12mm is too small and 13 is just a little bit too big. Inside diameter of the gas tube is supposed to be about 20mm, but using the 13mm socket it expanded to ~20.6mm.

20130315_145859_zpse06226d1.jpg

I'm going to try using a 2 piece collars to prevent it from expanding when I try again.

51nkMDn3KaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
so this is the cut down AKM barrel? The PM I sent you was assuming you were going to use your krink barrel. Well ****.

you're going to have to hope the AMD piston works out geometrically, or you will need to custom fabricate a piston for your build to fit your gas system.

How did you cut down the barrel? Did you crown it afterwards?

I'm still using the M92 barrel. The AKM barrel is going onto the Maadi Crutch build. That would be ghey for me to cut down a perfectly good barrel with the wrong twist rate just to build a SBR. Not as ghey as removing a bayo lug...

But the diameter on the M92 barrel where the rear sight block, handguard retainer and gas block sit is just a little too big. So I need to get them turned down just a C.H. for a nice tight fit.

After I get all the shit on, I'll measure it up and see if a stock piston from Curtis or CNC Warrior will work. Otherwise I have 2 options:
1. build my own gas tube
2. turn my own piston

I'm thinking that option 2 is a lot easier than option 1 after spending 4 hours cutting down the existing tube and rounding out the cut end to fit on the gas block.

This thread is awesome...

I'm still using the M92 barrel. The AKM barrel is going onto the Maadi Crutch build. That would be ghey for me to cut down a perfectly good barrel with the wrong twist rate just to build a SBR. Not as ghey as removing a bayo lug...

now it is hilarious. [laugh]

Thanks to my older brother, the barrel has been turned down, the slots cut for the handguard holder AND he welded the front sight to the gas block!

Last edited:
I finally got my receivers form 74u, definitely worth the wait and $$$!

agreed. I had to touch one up the other day because I ****ed shit up myself drilling the trunnion. I almost cried because I knew it was perfect to begin with before I laid my dirty fingers on it.

They're pretty much dead nuts to the length you need. Just short enough where virgin parts grind short into the assembly and the trunnions mate perfectly to the upper rails.

****ing. Gorgeous. Receivers.

Filed a Form 2 to SBR it, I am a FFL/SOT. Still need to find time to finish it up.

656a35c6-4774-44f1-8897-1c943f676697_zpscd84530d.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom