Aguila Ammunition Brings Bulk 5.56 Rifle Ammo To The Market

Funny they bailed out on the cmp 22lr deal.
Any how is this really new?

And surprise wolf gold is still cheaper. Fun stuff. Get what you can boys and girls while it’s still somewhat cheap.

Yeah. I was wondering how they thought $120 for 300rds was cheap. As mentioned, Gold is $80 for the same amount or $270/K. US brands aren't THAT much more. Call me when it hits $150/K or so and I'll celebrate then.
Yeah seriously. The market is flooded with cheap ammo at the moment so why Aguila thinks charging 40 cents per round is some earthshattering deal is beyond me.

"From target shooting and hunting to tactical applications, its unique boat tail design gives precision shooters greater accuracy and consistency."

The article fails to mention what's unique about it? Boat tail projectiles have been around since the 1900s...

Thread resurrection. Targetsports has Aguila 62gr FMJ for ~28 cents a round.

Has anybody used it before?

My rifle’s 1-7 twist barrel doesn’t shoot bulk 55gr well at all, so I’m looking for a cheap training ammo that can at least hold 2-3 MOA for 80% of the shots.

Last edited:
Yeah. I was wondering how they thought $120 for 300rds was cheap. As mentioned, Gold is $80 for the same amount or $270/K. US brands aren't THAT much more. Call me when it hits $150/K or so and I'll celebrate then.

That's cute but Wolf Gold is .223, not 5.56 You can start comparing prices directly when its actually the same type of ammo.

Anything that's legit loaded to 5.56 spec should be compared against other similar loadings in the class, eg, XM193, etc. I bet Aguila sombrero hat ammo is probably in the
ballpark with the others. The only way you're going to see drastic price differences is if someones cutting a corner or the product isn't the same, etc.

-Mike

My rifle’s 1-7 twist barrel doesn’t shoot bulk 55gr well at all, so I’m looking for a cheap training ammo that can at least hold 2-3 MOA for 80% of the shots.
Good price. Reviews on the TSUSA page seem decent. If it were me I’d just buy a few boxes to test then buy more if it shoots well.

That's cute but Wolf Gold is .223, not 5.56 You can start comparing prices directly when its actually the same type of ammo.

Anything that's legit loaded to 5.56 spec should be compared against other similar loadings in the class, eg, XM193, etc. I bet Aguila sombrero hat ammo is probably in the
ballpark with the others. The only way you're going to see drastic price differences is if someones cutting a corner or the product isn't the same, etc.

-Mike
wolf gold 223 55 grain is loaded to M193 specs.
Aguila 5.56 is metric 62 grain 223. Nothing more nothing less. Its not M855 or 5.56 Nato
Its just 223/556 62 grain lead core copper jacket loaded to 3100fps-ish

Also a bit silly when some manufactures call 55 grain fmj "NATO"

Last edited:
Last edited:

2-4 moa is about standard for most bulk 55/62 grain fodder.
1/7 twist should be fine for 55 grain bullets IF the bullets are good quality. If theres to many imperfections in the lead core, jacket thickness or even if the jacket/core bond sucks they can spin themselves appart.

For that 30 cent range for "accuracy" , brass case ammo wolf gold and PPU all have done well. Along with some remington flat base , yellow and green box. I havecnot seen that in ages.

do i dare mention wolf steel cased zinc plated 75gn HP. ??

Last edited:
1/7 twist should be fine for 55 grain bullets IF the bullets are good quality. If theres to many imperfections in the lead core, jacket thickness or even if the jacket/core bond sucks they can spin themselves appart.

For that 30 cent range for "accuracy" , brass case ammo wolf gold and PPU all have done well. Along with some remington flat base , yellow and green box. I havecnot seen that in ages.

Yeah I’ve had great results with PPU M193 in my 1:8 FN CHF barrel.

Yeah, I’d be okay with cheap training ammo in the 3-4 range, just hoping for 2-3. My testing has resulted in cheapo 55 gr ammo shooting 4-6 MOA. Decent Hornady 55gr ammo was still ~3 MOA. Things improve considerably once I get to 69gr+, and that’s even with “cheap” heavier rounds. So I’m curious to see what I’ll see with 62gr FMJ.

I’ll take a look at the zinc plated Wolf 75, thanks.

Yeah, I’d be okay with cheap training ammo in the 3-4 range, just hoping for 2-3. My testing has resulted in cheapo 55 gr ammo shooting 4-6 MOA. Decent Hornady 55gr ammo was still ~3 MOA. Things improve considerably once I get to 69gr+, and that’s even with “cheap” heavier rounds. So I’m curious to see what I’ll see with 62gr FMJ.

Most “mil spec” or bulk 55/62 grain ammo is just ok.
The cheapest (with out reloading) accurate ammo chance is PPU match.
When you look at the Military ammunition testing requirements its through a accuracy testing barrel IIRC the average mean radius is 2-4” I forget . So if you can crunch numbers and percentages you can see how “loose” the standard can be. Then the Military reserves the absolute best lots of ammo for testing in the rifles. You can only think of how they cherry pick only the best rifles for testing also.
Like many say run of the mil M193/855 is 4 moa ammo
Do better then buy more of that sam lot number.

Another choice is keep your eye out for that IMI razor core 77 grain . I picked up some on sale for .61 each
With my scoped “ varmint “ set up it flirts with moa. I usually booga hook yank to ruin good groups!

Cheap training ammo is hits on target accuracy not groups;)

If the 55gr projectiles aren't great, a 1:7 barrel can make them go 'poof' before they hit the target. Watch for it, you might be getting some key-holing. That 1:7 barrel should be fed 69's or heavier.

edit-

I see Mac is on this already. +1 for PPU to get good quality heavier projectile ammo at a very good price. Save the brass (if brass case), it's pretty good too.

I have not shot cheap 55's out of my 1:7 or 1:7.7 barrels in a long time, but the first time I did was a major WFT moment. Varmint barrel, and getting something like 20 MOA at 50 yards! Closer inspection showed many were keyholing and a few popped and sprayed the target with shrapnel. Even high quality 40's go pop at ~25 yards with a 1:7.

Last edited:
Most “mil spec” or bulk 55/62 grain ammo is just ok.
The cheapest (with out reloading) accurate ammo chance is PPU match.
When you look at the Military ammunition testing requirements its through a accuracy testing barrel IIRC the average mean radius is 2-4” I forget . So if you can crunch numbers and percentages you can see how “loose” the standard can be. Then the Military reserves the absolute best lots of ammo for testing in the rifles. You can only think of how they cherry pick only the best rifles for testing also.
Like many say run of the mil M193/855 is 4 moa ammo
Do better then buy more of that sam lot number.

Another choice is keep your eye out for that IMI razor core 77 grain . I picked up some on sale for .61 each
With my scoped “ varmint “ set up it flirts with moa. I usually booga hook yank to ruin good groups!

I’ve actually had good luck with M855 in my old M4. I could get 2 MOA pretty consistently. Obviously not always, but more often than not.

I will add that Magtech 77 OTM is cheaper than IMI razorcore and I’ve had great luck with it. It seems to be about a 1.25-1.5 MOA round in my guns. It might not be as hot as IMI, but it’s pretty precise for the price.

If the 55gr projectiles aren't great, a 1:7 barrel can make them go 'poof' before they hit the target. Watch for it, you might be getting some key-holing. That 1:7 barrel should be fed 69's or heavier.

edit-

I see Mac is on this already. +1 for PPU to get good quality heavier projectile ammo at a very good price. Save the brass (if brass case), it's pretty good too.

I have not shot cheap 55's out of my 1:7 or 1:7.7 barrels in a long time, but the first time I did was a major WFT moment. Varmint barrel, and getting something like 20 MOA at 50 yards! Closer inspection showed many were keyholing and a few popped and sprayed the target with shrapnel. Even high quality 40's go pop at ~25 yards with a 1:7.

Yeah, no keyholing, but the faster RPMs are just emphasizing unbalanced imperfections in the bullets I’m guessing. And yeah, I can imagine a long varmint barrel with a tight twist causing them to break apart. Tight twist plus the increased velocity from a long barrel.

It is reliable ammo and out of a 1/7 barrel I think it gets you slightly tighter groups than 55gr 5.56x45mm

Just checked my inventory and I still have 4 @ 50 round boxes of it squirreled away from two years ago.

That is a good price and I would not hesitate if my goal was a slightly heavier round for casual use.

:emoji_tiger:

Yeah, buy a couple thousand round to throw away when they confiscate our non flintlock rifles

Not to hijack the thread (much).

But speaking of cartridges at TSUSA with heavier projectiles.

I got a back in stock email notice last week for - Speer LE Duty .223 Rem 75gr Gold Dot Soft Point (24475)

This is my home defense round of choice and I think a very good deal at $11.03 a box. So I topped off my supply.

I had tested it through my 14.5" 7/1 barreled AR and it is pretty awesome.

This isn't stuff you are going to be plinking with, so buy a few hundred rounds once, keep a few mags loaded and hang on to the rest unless you are Coyote hunting.

:emoji_tiger:

Last edited:
Never had keyholing with 55 grain projos out of a 1:7 barrel, maybe with an SBR, but never saw it with any of my 16" barrels which are nearly all 1:7 twist rates.

edit-

If it's labeled and sold as .223, "no, it's not."

-Mike
I will dig around for wolfs 223 gold specs..I know their old web site had more info than Im finding now
Wolf gold 223 last I bought it it was still being made in Taiwan Before that I want to say it was S&B or Privi ? I forget....anyhow

Wolf gold Brass case , not highly polished annealing still visable , 55 grain FMJ cannelure/crimped and sealed neck, sealed and crimped boxer primers 3200+ fps < I forget been a while since I crony'd anything. Loaded with a spherical powder. I forget how many grains. I did break down several from different lots. Fun stuff
now compare to
MIL-C-9963F < If anyone has a more recent date specification post up a link please.

Back
Top Bottom