• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AFS is no more :-(

kimmie1911

NES Member
Got an e-mail earlier from Darrin letting me know that the AFS matches will no longer be held and he asked that it be passed along. Apparently AFS has decided against hosting any further USPSA matches. I don't know all the particulars but I'm guessing it must be about money. And them probably not making enough on a USPSA match to tie up their range for one morning a month.

Sadly, BUAS is now the only indoor game in town over the winter. I say sadly because there is no way that we can accomodate all the shooters that want to participate. I've heard from almost 40 people and for the second month, I've already gone to the wait list. I've kept the number of shooters that we'll take to work out to about 16/17 a squad. Even that seemed too much to me but the last match seemed to run well and folks didn't seem to mind some waiting times. The biggest issue is that we finish up by 1:30 so club members can use the range and so far, we've done that. The majority of the shooters are all experienced and you guys all know how to step up and keep things running.

Anyway, I know everyone loves to be able to get some trigger time over the winter and we'd like to accomodate as many as is reasonable so I'd love some feed back.

How much of a negative is it to you to have the larger squads - say 18 to 20 people? (2 squads)

Would it be inapproriate to require that a shooter has a USPSA membership in order to shoot? (Benefits the organization in the end but deters newbies and I wouldn't do that to MV club members)

Would people be happy with consolidated stages that are more speed shoots with maybe one stage course without any type of 'gadgets' to prevent range malfunctions and reshoots?

Any and all ideas and thoughts are welcomed. Myself, Steve and Joe will talk this all over and see what we can come up with.

[sad2] Bummer

I think we could handle a few more shooters. I think the key to getting out on time is to have everything ready for the second set of stages. Minimizing reshoots is also important. If there are five stages we need a good plan to handle it: Do you shoot it New Bedford style back to back (keep gun hot), or split the squad? If we do split the squad have the squad and score sheets split up ahead of time. Getting the speed shoot setup and arguing over which way to shoot it is what slowed us down last month.

[sad2] Bummer

I think we could handle a few more shooters. I think the key to getting out on time is to have everything ready for the second set of stages. Minimizing reshoots is also important. If there are five stages we need a good plan to handle it: Do you shoot it New Bedford style back to back (keep gun hot), or split the squad? If we do split the squad have the squad and score sheets split up ahead of time. Getting the speed shoot setup and arguing over which way to shoot it is what slowed us down last month.

If you want to minimize time, run it back to back. Do not split the squad. If someone doesn't have enough mags to run 2 short stages, they need to buy a couple more.
Minimize the props to something that's unbreakable, and activated simply. I know Joe loves making stuff, but, if you want to squeeze in more shooters, any prop that can't run right for 100 shooters can't be used.

If you want to minimize time, run it back to back. Do not split the squad. If someone doesn't have enough mags to run 2 short stages, they need to buy a couple more.
Minimize the props to something that's unbreakable, and activated simply. I know Joe loves making stuff, but, if you want to squeeze in more shooters, any prop that can't run right for 100 shooters can't be used.

Dan, that's what I suggested and how we ran it. Others had different opinions on the best way [grin]

Donna,

First I appreciate everything you guys do and the last matches have gone great. Here's my feedback:

40 people for an indoor match is getting to the long side IMO. Of course I'd still go.

I really like the idea of two good sized field courses followed by a couple (or more) speed shoots. If you do a couple small stages back to back
after the 2 field courses (like the last matches)- you would be better off doing 2 and 2 since the other bay with one short stage will just be waiting around.
Not saying you have to but you could easily do 6 stages this way. 2 field courses, 4 mini stages with easy set up. Or 2 field courses with 2 mini stages.

I know this is a welcoming environment, but I'd personally have no issues with USPSA membership requirements.

I like to have the mix you guys have been doing with mostly paper and some steel... that works out well IMO. No need to get prop crazy.

Lastly what ever you do- don't do stages with multiple starts for any of the stages- that really slow things down. (like some of the classifiers)

Keep up the great work. Thanks.

Donna,

First I appreciate everything you guys do and the last matches have gone great. Here's my feedback:

40 people for an indoor match is getting to the long side IMO. Of course I'd still go.

I really like the idea of two good sized field courses followed by a couple (or more) speed shoots. If you do a couple small stages back to back
after the 2 field courses (like the last matches)- you would be better off doing 2 and 2 since the other bay with one short stage will just be waiting around.
Not saying you have to but you could easily do 6 stages this way. 2 field courses, 4 mini stages with easy set up. Or 2 field courses with 2 mini stages.

I know this is a welcoming environment, but I'd personally have no issues with USPSA membership requirements.

I like to have the mix you guys have been doing with mostly paper and some steel... that works out well IMO. No need to get prop crazy.

Lastly what ever you do- don't do stages with multiple starts for any of the stages- that really slow things down. (like some of the classifiers)

Keep up the great work. Thanks.

What he said.

Thanks all. Good feedback.

I was happy with the way the match ran last month. More people, 5 stages, one little 'snafu' and we still finished on time. One of the issues is having the 2 ranges and the staff being split up. I knew how it was supposed to run but I was over on the other bay when it was being set up, so, poor communication on my part. In Boston, both squads finished at the same time, we cleared the range and mostly staff set up part 2. Also, except for a stage on the small bay at MV, everything is in our heads until the match. We can't set up things the night before like we did in Boston. So far though, it's not really a big deal.

I agree - no props. It was fun when we did it but it won't work here.

Absolutely no multiple strings.

2 stages run back to back. That was my plan for that stage last month. But I wasn't there to crack the whip! We'll make sure the stage briefings are written up better.

I actually do think 6 stages would work. Ok. Call me crazy. But what Lugnut (and the other Dave) said makes sense. If you're just standing around waiting, you could be shooting. Part 2 would be a classifier and 3 speed shoots. And I know you guys love to work on your speed, lol.

AFS? I thought this was held at MVGC.

The two local indoor match series in the winter used to be BUAS in Dorchester and HSA at AFS in Attleboro. BUAS has moved to MVGC and AFS has ended.

The problem with running two speed shoots on each range is the available space on the side range; or lack thereof. two El Prez style shoots could probably be crammed in there though and that would fix the backup that happened to us last match. it'd be ok with me, a long stage, a medium stage, and a few speed shoots is still better than dry firing until spring!

The two local indoor match series in the winter used to be BUAS in Dorchester and HSA at AFS in Attleboro. BUAS has moved to MVGC and AFS has ended.

The problem with running two speed shoots on each range is the available space on the side range; or lack thereof. two El Prez style shoots could probably be crammed in there though and that would fix the backup that happened to us last match. it'd be ok with me, a long stage, a medium stage, and a few speed shoots is still better than dry firing until spring!

Ok so see it this way. Do one classifier and a quick stage on the larger range (like last week). On the side range if you do one speed shoot or even a smaller field course you will still finish before the people on the larger range. Although the side range is... well... smaller, you can still fit a couple stages in there. You could easily do a small stage which incorporates just one or two targets along with one like we did last week on that range. You could do a 20 yard bill or something. Or do 2 targets at 10 yard, 4 each, RL, 4 each. Just an idea..... I got plenty of ideas. ;)

You still need to dry fire... sorry.

Last match, stage one and two finished at pretty much the same time. That was good. But, for part two, the small bay (stage 5) (for several reasons we won't rehash) finished way before the larger bay (stages 3 & 4) and had to wait quite a bit for the squads to switch bays. I think as Lugnut said, if we squeeze 2 quick and simple speed shoots on the smaller bay, it should balance it with the classifier and speed shoot on the larger bay so people finish more or less at the same time. And, if we don't have any set up issues, we should move right along. Of course, I have to wait until I physically look at the small range to see how possible 2 speed shoots there would be. Like Pete said, it might be too tight.

And Matt - you not participating is bumming us out too!!!!!!

I think USPSA membership should be a definite requirement. Perhaps MVGC could consider a Special Classifier Match to accommodate those not yet classified by USPSA with either a pending or new USPSA membership. There are plenty of matches during the year where capacity is not an issue and non USPSA members can see what it is all about. After shooting a match or two folks should be able to decide whether or not they want to support USPSA by becoming a member. With the price of ammo, gear, travel, etc. the cost of membership should not be a barrier to any shooter in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom