AFS' Home Study Course for ME permit?

Spoke with American Firearms School today and because I'm a member I get a 50% discount on their Basic Firearms Safety Course. Since I want to apply for a ME non-res permit I need to satisfy their "Proof of knowledge of Handgun Safety" requirement. My discount gets me a $50 AFS 'home study' course which can be used for ME's course requirement.

Has anybody done AFS' home study course and used this to apply for their ME non-res permit?

It's hard to tell. Their web site refers to the course as the "Basic Firearms Safety Course", but there's nothing by that name on the MSP list of approved courses. It might be the "B.F.S.I. Handgun Safety Course" (LTC-010), but there's no way to tell.

Ken

That website shows it as an on-site course. I'm not aware of this course (NRA BFS) being home-study!?

Neither was I until I called them today about it...I was going to take the full-day in-person course when I mentioned that I needed it for the ME permit and they mentioned the 'home-study' option.

How will they verify your demonstrating safe firearm handling / shooting skills?

I picked up their Basic Firearms Safety Course manual and brought it home to read through (I answered the review questions at the end of each chapter). Then I had to go back to AFS for the firearms handling/shooting portion which consisted of a classroom session and time on the range shooting. Upon completion I received my MA basic firearms safety certificate and will use that to apply for my ME non-res permit.

Why not get your Mass LTC-A and then get the Maine one? You are living in Mass are you not? Once you have a in-state LTC, you can apply to any state for a non-res. that offers them.

Why not get your Mass LTC-A and then get the Maine one? You are living in Mass are you not? Once you have a in-state LTC, you can apply to any state for a non-res. that offers them.

I do have my MA LTC-A but I took my basic firearms safety course over 10 years ago and Maine's non-res CCW permit requires that you take a class within the past 5 years so I missed that boat a long time ago...

this is somewhat related so I am posting it here: I took my course for my LTCA at AFS. I only got the MAS state certificate from them, not an NRA one as well. CAn I go back to them and request it? I had another thread on this, but it seems to have gotten buried somewhere and I cant find it....

Back
Top Bottom