Advice on starting 223/556

Yes exactly. Is there more to it than swapping out the die plate? Do you prep, prime, resize, & reload all in one production or in stages?

Case feeder plate, couplers for the feed tube, shell plate, reverse the plastic blocks for the feed assembly, and swap tool heads.

About 10 minutes work.

My personal process for bulk:

Lube with lanolin mix
One pass to deprime and resize
Giraud Tri-Way on an industrial motor
Dry tumble
One pass to seat primer, drop powder, seat, and add a mild factory crimp.

1000 rounds is maybe 2.5-3hrs work, not including the time in the tumbler.

Case feeder plate, couplers for the feed tube, shell plate, reverse the plastic blocks for the feed assembly, and swap tool heads.

About 10 minutes work.

My personal process for bulk:

Lube with lanolin mix
One pass to deprime and resize
Giraud Tri-Way on an industrial motor
Dry tumble
One pass to seat primer, drop powder, seat, and add a mild factory crimp.

1000 rounds is maybe 2.5-3hrs work, not including the time in the tumbler.

I use pretty much the same process, but with a Giraud bench trimmer, and no crimp.

If I'm loading the brass a second time, I do it all on the press the first time through because I don't have to trim or worry about primer pockets. (I dry tumble the loaded ammo to remove the lube).

I think my time is worth the $0.08 per round not to go through all that. Perhaps if I start shooting out past 400m regularly then match ammo might make sense.

I think it's just more of a hobby and way to enjoy something you like more.

With both work and school, time is at a premium. I reload 9mm because it allows me to shoot a much higher volume and not have to camp out at Walmart for ammo. When I have time again and am shooting longer ranges, I think reloading 5.56 with the match bullets will begin to make sense. For now I will just spectate as you guys have all the fun.

Pulled the trigger on the Rock Chucker Supreme kit. $225 with a set of RCBS 308 dies, how could I say no to that? Now I need to buy 223 dies. If anyone needs a scale I'll be selling the one that comes in the kit since I have one already, its RCBS M500.

Good for you.. im waiting to come across a used rock chucker press cheap.
Ive got two 1050s and ill tell you a single stage press can be handy in alot if situations.

Especially if your reitively young, regardless of what you spend on your equipment, if you use it often and enjoy it there is no way it will ever be a bad investment.

If your only doing 1-200 at a time your good to go.

Pulled the trigger on the Rock Chucker Supreme kit. $225 with a set of RCBS 308 dies, how could I say no to that? Now I need to buy 223 dies. If anyone needs a scale I'll be selling the one that comes in the kit since I have one already, its RCBS M500.
I have been looking at that kit. Do you mind sharing where you got that deal?

A seller on eBay is including the dies, it's an outdoor store in PA so the rebate is still good. They only had 243, 270 or 308 dies to pick from, I asked about 223 they said no.

A seller on eBay is including the dies, it's an outdoor store in PA so the rebate is still good. They only had 243, 270 or 308 dies to pick from, I asked about 223 they said no.

Get the 308 dies and toss them back on ebay? Which SKU # did you get there are several "kits" I seen one as low as 160$ with powder measure, prime tool, and a few others? I'm looking for another press to do some reloading at work. The rock chucker would do well.

Last edited:
Ok I have to bump this. Do you guys use full length dies or small base dies? Also anyone use the RCBS "x" dies?

Personally I'm using Lee dies for 223. I have an RCBS set I bought but have never used because I haven't had any issues with the Lee.

For 308 I have Lee, Hornady, RCBS and Lyman. I only use the Hornady now because it has the least effort in the press. It was the last die set I bought for 308. I kept hunting because the others felt so heavy handed to do the job.

Not sure it has been mentioned prior, but if you get into reloading 556 in bulk buy a few extra carbide tips for your primer punch. A berdan primed case is sure to find its way in bulk brass and is a pain in the BRass.

I keep two extra decapping pins on hand for my lee sizing die because of that. Also, you'll occasionally come across a case that gets a piece of media or field debris in the base that will bend a pin.

Ok I have to bump this. Do you guys use full length dies or small base dies? Also anyone use the RCBS "x" dies?

I use lee dies for bulk .223, and RCBS Competition dies for the bolt .223.

I actually like the Lee full length sizing die better than the RCBS. Less effort in the press. The competition seating die is really nice though, micrometer adjustments and putting the bullet into the front of the die instead of into the case is nice. More concentric also, but there really is nothing wrong with the lee stuff unless you're going for extreme accuracy.

Even then, i've been into the .2x MOA range occasionally and pretty consistently able to get 3/4" 5-shot groups at 200 yards with Lee dies from my bolt .223.

I use lee dies for bulk .223, and RCBS Competition dies for the bolt .223.

I actually like the Lee full length sizing die better than the RCBS. Less effort in the press. The competition seating die is really nice though, micrometer adjustments and putting the bullet into the front of the die instead of into the case is nice. More concentric also, but there really is nothing wrong with the lee stuff unless you're going for extreme accuracy.

Even then, i've been into the .2x MOA range occasionally and pretty consistently able to get 3/4" 5-shot groups at 200 yards with Lee dies from my bolt .223.

One of Lee's claims is their dies load the most accurate ammo. I figure someone might actually test that some day.
I have Lee dies and find them to be very good for the money. The dead set bullet seater seems to work very well.

I might load ten rounds on my pro 1000 and 10 rounds on the hornady 007 with hornady dies and see which group is "better"

I use pretty much the same process, but with a Giraud bench trimmer, and no crimp.

If I'm loading the brass a second time, I do it all on the press the first time through because I don't have to trim or worry about primer pockets. (I dry tumble the loaded ammo to remove the lube).

So I am coming back to this because my White Oak upper is grouping well and paying $0.94 per round of match ammo has me reconsidering.

I have a 650 currently setup for 9mm. A friend suggested the LnL case activated powder drop and I have read that the carbide resizing die is a good asset. I also plan to get the quick change kit so I guess the question is what dies would you suggest? The full Dillon carbide set is $165 and that seems a bit steep; is it worth it and are there viable alternatives? Lee & RCBS are discussed above, if you had to choose a set of dies today what would it be?

I chose Dillons full carbide set. The individual dies are available...$136.95 for the sizer. Note, I just picked up those dies at Riley's last week, and haven't used them yet...still prepping brass for .30/'06.
-Mike

I like Lee dies, especially for brass of unknown origin. When I encounter a berdan primed case with a lee decapping rod, it generally just slips upward. When I do it with a Lyman or RCBS resizing die, I get a broken decapping rod. I know the pins are supposed to fail before the rod, but apparently I lack finesse and tend to ruin the whole decapping assembly.

I will probably get flak for this but I have Hornady new demension dies I have been using for years, along with a set of RCBS which for some reason I just never liked...to many screws and nuts and the lock rings suck. I also have a set of lee that caame with the pro1000 for 223. I load 55 grain hornady fmj with surplus powder and random cases....they shoot just a tad over 1moa out of my 1/8 wylder chamber NM AR... will dies make these shoot better?
I like the new demension dies from hornady but have come to like lee dies for other stuff also. I like thier powder through expander dies?
When i get a bolt action that might be a sub 1/2 moa I might consider some sort of special dies.... My die selection on my shelf is a rainbow of colors.

Hey reminds me LEE has a accuracy guarenty that thier dies will load the most accurate ammo... has anyone or does anyone have any links to someone actually trying this out ?

Back
Top Bottom