• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Adopt a team

TY43215

NES Member
I am sure most of the USPSA shooters know our fellow shooter Greg G from RI.

Greg is headed to Afghanistan next week for a year. A few of us came up with the idea we (as a USPSA Section) would "adopt" Greg and his team for the year.

At each match at Bass River, Harvard, and Manville, the hat will be passed from now till Greg and his team returns. The money will be used to send items they can use. DVDs, phone cards, and more. Greg would also like some of the videos shot at matches so his guys can see the group that is sending the items.

I will be buying an American flag that will be sent to Greg and it will be carried with them on all missions.

Mike of MLE will be the banker on this and has graciously offered to donate shipping charges.

The donations already started at Harvard's last match. No one needs to feel obligated to give. Do what you can. All donations will be used in the name of the NE Section with no recognition given to anyone.

Greg has served in many varied locations. Last year he shot the A7 match after just returning from Iraq. In an e mail he stated:

I don't know what to say!
Thank you!
My security team will have 4 full time members that i am training right now.
We will have add on's but 4 fulltime that work for me.
I had to fire one Army guy that didn't workout.
We have been back and forth setting things up and we look to be in Afghanistan the first week in Aug for a year.
We are working for the DIA out of the Pentagon. I can't say much more then that over this.
Its a security/PSD mission. Plus we have to fix and repair all the weapons and run training while there.

It sounds great that you want to do that for us. I will try a get some pictures for the team and all we are doing. Where we live and as much as our day to day as we can.

I will get with the guys and tell them. But right now i don't think they like me very much I am really pushing them hard to be better then the rest and for some its hard.
They call me Nightmare cause even in there sleep they can still hear me getting on them.

I will get our address to you guys.

Please tell everybody that none of us feel you need to do this. But i have to shoot again with all of you and i don't want my hit factor to drop....lol

You guys are great and thanks again!
I will keep in touch and let you know what we could use.
You have no idea how much i miss shooting with all of you!

train hard shoot well

NIGHTMARE 5 OUT

So, when you see that bucket at the sign up tables, do what you can. The money will be budgeted so they will receive something every month including those that have no matches.

When pictures arrive, we will get them up somewhere so all can see. Maybe the MLE site.

Thanks to all,

Gary

That's a great idea. I'll make some DVDs and try to gather up some other stuff for them.

Greg is the real deal. He's been helpful and enthusiastic since the first time I met him at my first plate match at Mansfield a few years ago. He is a riot to squad with but is always an example of someone learning and getting better. I noticed even at our little non-sanctioned match, when he had a miss he’d run back to his training notebook and write down something to work on. I’ve recently met a fewfirearms trainers from VA and they all know Greg and speak really highly of him.

Greg at Harvard

I’m in!

I remember Greg, Jerry and Sherry joining us down at the Mansfield shoots. They were a really nice group of people that were a great addition to a fun group of shooters. Greg and Jerry were always very helpful with setup, take down and shooting instructions. They were very funny, very good and always enjoyable to shoot with.

The man spends entirely too much time over there!

Respectfully,

jkelly

I’m in!

I remember Greg, Jerry and Sherry joining us down at the Mansfield shoots. They were a really nice group of people that were a great addition to a fun group of shooters. Greg and Jerry were always very helpful with setup, take down and shooting instructions. They were very funny, very good and always enjoyable to shoot with.

The man spends entirely too much time over there!

Respectfully,

jkelly

I think EVERYONE remembers Sherry [wink]

UPDATE

Greg is headed out. He should be on assignment by 07-27. I have purchased a US Flag and made sure it was Made in USA [wink] It will be sent out tomorrow so it should be there in a reasonable amount of time.

He wanted me to thank all who sent their good wishes and said he will see you all at a match next year.

See you all at Bass River 08-05 and don't forget the rifle side match. It will be about 30 rounds or so.

Gary

Thanks to all so far. As an update, Greg is now in Afghanistan awaiting the arrival of the rest of the team.

This is just the beginning, so let's keep him in our thoughts.

I spoke with Dan yesterday to get his OK on the Sectional. Betsy will have a sign and the collection container.

The toll booth is a nice idea, but I do not want anyone feeling they must contribute. As you can see in the Bass River match thread one person has already decided to make a crass statement which has not gone unnoticed whether he thought it was funny or not.

Thanks again,

Gary

I spoke with Dan yesterday to get his OK on the Sectional. Betsy will have a sign and the collection container.

The toll booth is a nice idea, but I do not want anyone feeling they must contribute. As you can see in the Bass River match thread one person has already decided to make a crass statement which has not gone unnoticed whether he thought it was funny or not.

Thanks again,

Gary
I apologize I thought the wink would make it understood that it was a joke. Even if it was a joke I understand that does not stop it from being crass, and I am a crass kind of guy and I like kidding around. I have donated twice already so please don't think that I believe he doesn't deserve our support. I was mocking those who don't support the job Greg is doing.

Last edited:
Maybe we should add a toll booth to the drive by stage.

As was done at the 2004 (IIRC) Area 7 (also at Harvard) to raise funds for the Junior Program. This was the "Big Dig" stage and the toll started the timer. Note that it was built by the same club (Hopkinton) which is doing the "drive-by" stage at this event.

I apologize I thought the wink would make it understood that it was a joke. Even if it was a joke I understand that does not stop it from being crass, and I am a crass kind of guy and I like kidding around. I have donated twice already so please don't think that I believe he doesn't deserve our support. I was mocking those who don't support the job Greg is doing.

Apology accepted, Thanks for your support.

Last edited:
Just an update and some thanks

Just a note to all who have contributed so far: Thank you.

I know the words are some times hollow but I truly mean it. The continued support we are seeing by the same people at ever match will show these guys what the North East Section is all about. I great bunch that take care of their own.

Thanks to The Harvard Action Shooters, The Hopkington Heavy Hitters, the Manville crew, and the Bass River Practical Shooters for your support.

Again, this is just the start of a long year for the "Team" We are not going to let up and any donation large or small is appreciated.

If anyone took video at the sectional and can make it into a DVD it would be appreciated. E mail me and I will drive wherever I have to or pay postage to get it.

Again, Thank you all for your generous support.

Gary

I just wanted to let you know... The UPS store in North Attleboro, they will cover the shipping to any package going to an APO address. They said that it's their way to support the troops. So, I would just take everything I was shipping over to my Brother-in-law, and paid only for supplies.

So, if you're going to be shipping, it might be cheaper to have them pack it and cover the shipping...than to pay for shipping and/or supplies.

UPDATE FROM GREG

Here it is:

Its been crazy busy and all is going well. Its not wicked hot but it gets up there.
All is well, i don't think i need anything. All the ammo is still free.I will be back at base camp for a few days to rest and re-fit. Then we are off again.
Your flag is getting a workout for sure.
I was awarded a Joint Service Achievement Medal the other day for the work i have done so far. That was cool.
So its back to work for me, i am sure you are still asleep.
Still miss shooting with you all and i can't wait to get back. Please tell everyone I said hello.

Time for an update

I thought it was time to update this.

Package is on the way. I got e mail from Afghanistan today. Strange all the coverage is Iraq. Things are pretty hot in Afghanistan right now.

The team is holding their own with no major issues except gear right now.

I don't know exactly what they need but the word is mounts for NVGs are needed as well as cables to program radios.

The fund is in decent shape and should last the winter. If you see that powder jug at a match, please throw in a couple bucks.

Bass River Rod and Gun club made a club donation as did the Harvard Action shooters. Thank you.

Every match there is something in the jug so I know the guys are not being forgotten.

I still would like some match DVDs to send if anyone can help.

I realize seeing someone with their hand out at every match gets old. I also realize that these ideas sometimes die out. I will not let this one go. With the help of the section shooters, we committed to a task to help those that are working their asses off for us. These guys have given their time and have given up a family life we all take for granted. All I ask is we do what we can to make it a little easier for them while they are away.

Another package will go out end of October and another middle of November. The November package will be heavy with phone cards for the holidays.

Thanks to all that have donated and to all that plan on it.

See you somewhere.

Just an update folks. Last communication from Greg said the flag I had sent had taken fire from RPGs Good news is they were lousy shots [wink]

10 large capacity phone cards and a few other things were sent this week for the Holidays. If any of you have ideas what to send let me know.

Thanks to EMOTO for the video if anyone else has them it would be nice to get them out to him in the next week as a Christmas present.

Please keep "Our Team" in your thoughts. Things are pretty lively there and they need our support.

Regards,

FYI: Since the news report a couple weeks ago of 6 killed in Afghanistan and several injured I have been worried as I had not heard from the "Team". My last message was the same day and they were on their way out.

We finally got some news that the G Man has had a slight injury so he is headed to Germany for a check up of a recurring problem that was aggravated in a close explosion.

Mike has sent the latest package with enough phone cards to take care of the guys through Christmas.

Well it is that time of year when Action shooters fancies turn to match competition and we need to remember our friend in Afghanistan.

Yes, he is still there. We have been sending a package every month compliments of the three clubs that took on this task. Last package had Strip Lula mag loaders that I was able to get. For those that have not seen them, they are not readily available yet but are the smallest and easiest to operate mag loaders when using stripper clips.

Now comes the begging part. Starting 1st Sunday in April at Bass River the powder jug will be out. we need to replenish the funds to keep this program going as long as G Man is away. Help out where you can. If you are not shooting, how about sending a $5 bill to Mike at MLE Sports and just tell him it is for the G MAN fund. He has been the treasurer for this so he will know what to do with it.

Greg will be home on leave some time in April. We expect to take him out and get him a little liquored up [smile]

Thanks to all the shooters that have been supporting this all along and to those that are ready to start.

Gary

A CHALLENGE

Just a note: Greg is back in Afghanistan after some needed time with his family.

We are sending Cleaning gear and practice targets to him in this month's package.

That puts the fund down to under $70 left. With gas prices as they are, I have hesitated to ask shooters to kick in again but I think it is time.

I am not shooting anywhere but Bass River this year with a couple exceptions. My cost to go to Harvard and back with match fee is $70 each time I go. I am putting one match in the fund, the full $70. It will be sent to MLE who is the banker.

I challenge every USPSA shooter on this board to do the same with at least a match fee. Greg is doing what he does for us all and it is time for us to step up again and replenish the fund.

Thanks to all that have given and to those that will. Watch the sign up tables for a container and skip one match and send the fee to Mike.

Regards,

Gary

Greg and his local Police Friends

G-ManAfghanPoliceFriends-1-1008x744.jpg

All, this will be my last update on this. The donations have dried up and I have proposed to the other two organizers we stop asking.

We will continue to do what we can with small items from personal funds but want to thank you all for the support over the last year.

As it says on my Trijicon Tee Shirt,
AP13Back_zoomLoRes.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom