• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Addtion to my M44 collection

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
Just a plain Jane Russian M44, notice the markings on the stock. Interesting.$200, not a steal but I wasn't robbed either. Bore needs a good cleaning.

Well it finally arrived and all I can say is WOW! This rifle has perfect deep bluing, the stock is covered with markings and the bore looks perfect. It is by far the best example of a Russian M44 in my collection.
I will post pictures tonight of the markings etc.

Last edited:
Nice. I need a post-war M44, although my 1944 m44 is my favorite mosin. Looks good

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

post war M44s are the best. I have one from 1947
other than few scratches on the varnish it's MINT. i love it so much that i try to shoot it less [laugh].
bore looks like rifle just came out of the Izhmash or Tula plant.
congrats.

hardly "just" interesting- it has the unknown "OG" in a circle on the stock. That's pretty f'ing cool IMO.

another cool thing? The barrel acceptance mark- it looks strikingly similar to the 40's and 50's AK-47 parts I have from Izhevsk. I think that's cool how you can see font transitions, moving from WW2 products into "modernized" weaponry at these arsenals.

That and the "CCCP" cartouche next to the Izzy diamond proof mark is nice. Those diamond marks become more prevalent in AK-AKM production- it's how smaller machined and cast parts are identified and differentiated from the two main arsenals. The Diamon represents Izzy- and a finer, higher quality is associated with it.

Which is very evident on that rifle. So clean. Crisp. Well made without bullshit worn tooling markings on machined surfaces. It looks like the workers had perfected that thing by the time it went through.

I like it.

Is that an oil finish on the stock?

As soon as I get this baby in my hands I will check it out. The current owner said the stock was untouched as to bubba slapping shellac on it.

flintoid, thanks for the information about the markings. When it arrives I will look for more markings and post pictures. After I read your post I dragged out all my SKS' s and was looking for markings. We collectors are a strange bunch. If anybody saw me, a guy with a magnifying glass looking at a bunch of rifles in a gun room at midnight......I love it. While I was at it I found a 1953 Tula SKS I forgot I had
( kinda of). I looked at my bound book and saw I purchased it in 1999 for $125.

I will say the CLP long term storage oil sure works great. The bore and metal was still in pristine condition.

It's definitely a pretty looking rifle.

The "diamond" proof might not be a diamond now that I look at it more- it might be a square with a line through it. You'll have to take pictures of it when you get it. That bluing looks like it was applied yesterday- definitely a non-bubba'd gun.

Back
Top Bottom