• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

A

Anyone ever eat largemouth? In all my years if fishing I never kept one to eat. I'm out this morning and my kid caught a 2 pounder that died.
Depending on where they are caught they are excellent with a dusting of flour, salt, and pepper in a hot skillet with oil or butter.

Now that I think about it… me either. Always catch and release. I’ve eaten plenty of bluegill though

Yeah I figured they can't taste much different than bluegill or crappie which I've eaten hundreds of. It's from Keyes pond in Westford.
I’ve been eating large and smallies my whole life. The meat is great. Make sure to check the places you fish because even though there may be no signage like the Charles noting pcbs and such I would only eat them if they came from a fairly fresh source.

When I started fishing, back in the day, no one ever heard of catch and release. LOL

I lived down south and after a day fishing, your catch was dinner.
My friends mom used to make a batter with Bisquick and corn meal, and would fry up bass all the time.
It was awesome.

Yup. I fillet them, cube the fillet, roll in panko, and toss them in a deep fryer.
Personally, I hate all fish, and I wouldn't eat it on a bet, but my family says bass tastes like every other fried fish they've ever eaten.

Anyone ever eat largemouth? In all my years if fishing I never kept one to eat. I'm out this morning and my kid caught a 2 pounder that died.
I used to cook them right in the woods where I caught them. Make a little fire, wrap them in foil with some lemon and wild onion, salt and pepper and drop it in the coals.

Bones come right out when cooked and the skin sticks to the foil. A poor man’s feast.

Bass is a pretty mild tasting fish when fresh. Light and flakey. I’ve also cooked perch and pickerel which most people don’t eat but it’s tasty and perfectly edible.

I've had perch before but not pickerel. I drew up eating trout, crappie, bluegills and even some hornpout. My father hated bass fishing so we never really did it and he always said they didn't taste good so I took his word for it. He was always more of a trout guy.
Trout is a delicious fish, but bass are good also. I’ll take trout over bass, but when I was a kid in Plymouth, there weren’t a lot of trout ponds near me, so we ate bass or anything else we could catch. Drew the line at sunfish though.

I used to snag herring for and old polish lady in the neighborhood and she would pickle some for me to bring to my grandmother. Polaks love that stuff.

She would also get excited when I brought her an eel or two. I fished a fresh water pond the emptied into the sea, so eel were fairly common there.

Used to eat them all the time as a kid. Pan fry the whole thing (gutted, head off). Delicate, white meat.

Of course all the freshwater is really bad polluted (and it’s in the fish) so it gives dick cancer or something awful, but probably OK once in a while.

Bass is great. I fillet them and grill the whole fillet. I find smaller fish. (1.5 # +/-) to have uniform thickness fillet. Bigger fish get recycled

If I do cook a larger fillet I cut it into sections ( thin or thick) which get different cocking times

I used to cook them right in the woods where I caught them. Make a little fire, wrap them in foil with some lemon and wild onion, salt and pepper and drop it in the coals.

Bones come right out when cooked and the skin sticks to the foil. A poor man’s feast.

Bass is a pretty mild tasting fish when fresh. Light and flakey. I’ve also cooked perch and pickerel which most people don’t eat but it’s tasty and perfectly edible.

I've heard a few people cooking pick. But most say it's awful or something. I think it's more due to them being a PITA to deal with in teh water than anything. They either break you off or try and take off a finger or slime the hell out of you.

I have not tried myself but have heard that you can filet (pickerel) then cross cut the piece. Drop in deep frier and supposedly the small bones get soft.

Back
Top Bottom