A Thanksgiving invasion!

A flock of about 30 turkeys just made its' way through my yard and my neighbors yard. They had a great time picking through the remnants of his garden, cleaned out his yard, and moved on.

turkeys.jpg

Sorry for the bad tablet-camera pic. My good camera is hiding somewhere.
Those are my peach trees in the foreground, and my neighbors New Hampshire Still Life in the background. [sad]

Thirty is about the right number. I know where there's an old landfill where you can almost set your watch and see 25-30 turkeys walk through in the early morning and late afternoon.

The season hasn't started yet, has it?
Somebody is shooting shotgun within hearing distance of my house just now - a sound I haven't heard since the early '80s.

We have a small flock, around 6, behind the building I work in. The maintenance guys feed them when they go by on these golf carts. When the turkeys see a cart coming they run to it and chase the cart. It's like their dogs, the fastest run beside the cart and the others trot behind. I had one almost put it's head in my lap as I drove by, very scary cause you don't know if it's gonna do the peck and hunt with it's beak in your lap. You don't need to shoot them, they are so tame now you could reach down and just grab a neck.

The season hasn't started yet, has it?
Somebody is shooting shotgun within hearing distance of my house just now - a sound I haven't heard since the early '80s.

For Mass:
. Fall Season Dates:
The fall turkey season begins on the second to last Monday in October and continues for 2 weeks ending on the 2ndSaturday.

Back
Top Bottom