A shooting in Dorchester

The reporting here is so terrible that you can't really tell what happened. But, that didn't stop the Globe from running this today.

In short, we have some sort of "makeshift" memorial going on, police are checking things out (I am assuming the memorial was in honor of a questionable character). Things go to hell, and the shooting starts:

Devastated by the recent death of a close friend, Manuel “Junior’’ DaVeiga went to pay condolences to the family Saturday night and then visited a makeshift memorial to him on Navillus Terrace in Dorchester, friends said.

Moments after he arrived at the memorial, DaVeiga was engaged in a shoot-out with police.

He died of gunshot wounds. It remains unclear whether the shot that killed him came from police or his own gun, according to two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation.

The two law enforcement officials said officers believed DaVeiga was a gang member and carried a gun. When the officers approached DaVeiga, he fled, then turned around and began firing at them, the sources said. The officers returned fire, they said.

And now for the obligatory "he was turning his life around" quote:

DaVeiga’s sister, Carla, said yesterday at the family home in Quincy that her brother wasn’t a troublemaker and was trying to make his life better. He was working toward obtaining his GED and had aspirations of going to college, she said.

And now for the obligatory "he was turning his life around" quote:

DaVeiga’s sister, Carla, said yesterday at the family home in Quincy that her brother wasn’t a troublemaker and was trying to make his life better. He was working toward obtaining his GED and had aspirations of going to college, she said.

This makes me laugh. He was carrying a gun without a license in a state which requires a license (politics asside), but he wasn't a trouble maker. He shot at police but he wasn't a trouble maker. I bet the cops planted the gun and fired at themselves too, right?

When you play stupid games, the prizes aren't that great...

I read the Herald's version of it today. One particular line made me laugh till I cried. It was something like:

A makeshift memorial including empty liquor bottles and a plastic squirt gun has been established.

You can't write a movie script any better than that.

What she said:

What she meant:

DaVeiga’s sister, Carla, said yesterday at the family home in Quincy that her brother was a troublemaker and was trying to make his life better by selling drugs and being in a gang and making other's lives worse by becoming addicted to drugs and live in fear in their own bloody neighborhood. He was working toward becoming a life-long welfare leech and planting the seed in multiple leeches to create more leeches and avoid making child support payments because he "has no job" although he'll net more than most people will each and every year and not pay a damn thing to live in a home that's just as nice as those working their arse off with better cars than most.

Good riddance. Another POS off the street. I'll sleep better tonight.

This is the first story that I've read that really does seem to go out of its way to make a probable good shoot look like a murder. I'd seen the jokes here before, but man, this article is the real thing!

"They didn't need to shoot him 15 times!" But a few times would have been fine?

No surprise about the mystery about which gun killed him because we all know guns go off by themselves...hard to tell which one.

This makes me laugh. He was carrying a gun without a license in a state which requires a license (politics asside), but he wasn't a trouble maker. He shot at police but he wasn't a trouble maker. I bet the cops planted the gun and fired at themselves too, right?

couldnt have said it better myself. I hate how in our society the dirtbag becomes the victim.

Damn, I was just going to buy his rap album.[puke]

Adios, ariverderce, goodbye, nice knowing ya, yada yada yada............

Playing the devil's advocate...

If YOU lived in a fine community like Dorchester but were statutorily barred from carrying a gun, would you abide by the law and not carry or would you carry in violation of the law? I know what I would do.

Aside from that - turning his life around... I've never heard that one before!

I saw this on the Channel 4 news this morning and almost yakked, they described him as a "victim", he was carrying a gun illegally and shot at the police, and they call him a victim.

To me, he's one less idiot I have to worry about...

Back
Top Bottom