A Pair of WWI 1917 k-block Erfurts

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Filled a big gap in my Mauser collection with an all matching 1917 Erfurt Kar98a today. Pounding on the door early this AM of the UPS center in Sagamore, I was not to be denied.

Other than some goober putting the stock in a vice and shaving the bolt stop on the follower, all parts match including the bolt internals. The rifle has a great bore, stock has crisp cartouches, and the only blue loss is on the front band and floor plate from carrying. Sling is a repro, but of vintage leather.

My k-block Erfurt Luger picked up a k-block big brother.

Thanks for the look.

T

Last edited:
A steam iron took out the worst of the vice imprints, especially on the right side. It also remove the glossy finish from the area. Not sure if I want to steam the whole stock or build the gloss back up in the affected areas.

T

Anyone know how to remove the stacking bar to remove the rear band?

Last edited:
I am strictly a milsurp novice, but it looks as if the front band captures the stacking bar, which would then be able to be pulled down & out.

images.jpeg

That worked; rotate 90 degrees. I had been pushing and pulling. Thanks.

All cleaned up. As I cleaned from the outside in, I found an undisclosed repaired duffel cut. I have an email into the seller asking for a little back on the price.

T

Last edited:
I got what amounted to a 15% consideration for the duffel cut; enough to buy a Gew88 bolt to finish the 1892 Spandau Gew88/05 on the way.

T

Bore pics:

Last edited:
I had the Kar98a at the range again today and was starting to get pissed at it, as I wasn't hitting anything after two trips and 45 rounds. Minimum sight at 350 meters. One shot I aimed at the bottom center edge of the target and immolated the binder clamp with a carriage bolt I had there to keep the target from swinging. A second shot hit next to the same place. Hmm; moved the sight up a little, and hit the string at 6:00 low. Set the sights at the top of the bulls eye and hit with the last 10 rounds I had. Who figures a rifle with a 350M sight would hit POA at 100 yards? Very disappointed with my 1979 M75 Yugo surplus - first crummy batch of it I've had. Almost all of them are click-bang, but at least not as bad as 50's Yugo.

Looking forward to the next time out when I can expect to hit something. When at CMP South next Friday, I'm going to pick up 200 rounds of Hornady 8mm and save it for the Gew88's and special occasions.

T

Back
Top Bottom