A Pair of Armalites: The AR-15 and the AR-180B

tuWdHZ7.jpg

I posted a picture of my two ARs in the "show off your AR" topic, and was asked to make a more detailed post on them. So here it is.

I currently have an album on imgur that contains over sixty pictures comparing the two rifles and showing a detailed field strip of the AR-180B.

The AR-180B uses a polymer lower receiver instead of the stamped metal receiver of it's forefather, the AR-180. Both designs are semi-automatic versions of the AR-18, which was designed to be the "poor man's AR-15," by using stamped metal instead of forged. The biggest difference between the AR-180 and -180B is that the AR-180B can take standard AR magazines, whereas the AR-180 would need modification to accept them.

The only issues I've had with either rifle was due to a faulty magazine. It would double feed in both guns, and would fall out of the AR-15 after the last round was fired. All other magazines I've used have worked fine. Polymer magazines look right at home in the AR-180B, due to the polymer lower receiver. Truthfully, while I prefer USGI magazines in the AR-15, I like polymer ones in the AR-180B.

Feel free to look through the album, and if you have any questions let me know!

The AR-180B uses a polymer lower receiver instead of the stamped metal receiver of it's forefather, the AR-180. Both designs are semi-automatic versions of the AR-18, which was designed to be the "poor man's AR-15," by using stamped metal instead of forged.

AR 180 was a short stroke gas, not direct ass-impingement. That's the biggest difference.

AR-180 was made in US (costa mesa), Japan (howa) and UK, SA80 heavily borrowing from it.

The reason shit is different is because AR-15 was already licensed, so they had to come up with creative differences.

Stamped metal isn't inferior, it's easy and cheap to produce.

AR 180 was a short stroke gas, not direct ass-impingement. That's the biggest difference.

The biggest difference between the AR-180 and -180B is that the AR-180B can take standard AR magazines, whereas the AR-180 would need modification to accept them.

I was stating the difference between the 180 and 180B, not the 180 and 15. Granted, to others it may not be the biggest difference, but in my own opinion it is.

Though now that you've mentioned it, I'm not sure I put anything about the 180B being short stroke piston vs. the AR-15's DI. I'll go back through the album and edit that in. Thanks.

I was stating the difference between the 180 and 180B, not the 180 and 15. Granted, to others it may not be the biggest difference, but in my own opinion it is.

Though now that you've mentioned it, I'm not sure I put anything about the 180B being short stroke piston vs. the AR-15's DI. I'll go back through the album and edit that in. Thanks.

Stoner's "DI" is kind of a big deal. Not the first time it was used, but the debate on DI vs Piston is like which caliber is the best or AR vs AK.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the ar18/180 I wish I could get one at a decent price .

They pop up all the time, the price is just a function of how long you are willing to wait.

Also all AR180s are prebans [wink]

There were some pushback on 180b being plastic, not sure what's the consensus is now. Go for 180.

Stoner's "DI" is kind of a big deal. Not the first time it was used, but the debate on DI vs Piston is like which caliber is the best or AR vs AK.

- - - Updated - - -

They pop up all the time, the price is just a function of how long you are willing to wait.

Also all AR180s are prebans [wink]

There were some pushback on 180b being plastic, not sure what's the consensus is now. Go for 180.

You can get aftermarket billet lowers for them . I think nordak is one who dose it so it looks like it's spot welded lol .

You can get aftermarket billet lowers for them . I think nordak is one who dose it so it looks like it's spot welded lol .

wait wut? Billet lower stamped steel? [rofl] Ben, get off the sauce. I think that you mean stamped steel, I think that I've seen those.

The point is though, 180 is a classic. 180b is a more affordable classic. Either way, you can't go wrong, you are just not going straight. [rofl]

wait wut? Billet lower stamped steel? [rofl] Ben, get off the sauce. I think that you mean stamped steel, I think that I've seen those.

The point is though, 180 is a classic. 180b is a more affordable classic. Either way, you can't go wrong, you are just not going straight. [rofl]

He's talking about this. I'm considering buying one for when the polymer lower eventually cracks because I'm a little too rough with it.

I had a parts kit one years ago.
I wish I was older I missed out on cheap kits and parts ....

Lol when I first saw the milled "spot welds" I couldn't stop laughing .

Back
Top Bottom