A Novel Idea. Register non-gun owners

I don't think this has been posted. I did a quick check but I may be wrong. I kind of like this idea.

http://www.resistnet.com/profiles/blogs/a-novel-idea-register-nongun

Vermont State Rep. Fred Maslack has read the Second Amendment to the U.S.
Constitution, as well as Vermont 's own Constitution very carefully, and
his strict interpretation of these documents is popping some eyeballs in New
England and elsewhere.

Maslack recently proposed a bill to register "non-gun-owners" and require
them to pay a $500 fee to the state.
Thus Vermont would become the first state to require a permit for the luxury of going about unarmed and assess a
fee of $500 for the privilege of not owning a gun

Maslack read the "militia" phrase of the Second Amendment as not only affirming the right of the individual citizen to bear arms, but as a clear
mandate to do so.
He believes that universal gun ownership was advocated by the Framers of the Constitution as an antidote to a "monopoly of force" by
the government as well as criminals

Vermont 's constitution states explicitly that "the people have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the State" and those persons
who are "conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms" shall be required to "pay such equivalent." Clearly, says Maslack, Vermonters have a
constitutional obligation to arm themselves, so that they are capable of responding to "any situation that may arise."

Under the bill, adults who choose not to own a firearm would be required
to register their name, address, Social Security Number, and driver's
license number with the state.
"There is a legitimate government interest in knowing who is not prepared to defend the state should they be asked to do
so," Maslack says

Vermont already boasts a high rate of gun ownership along with the least
restrictive laws of any state ..
it's currently the only state that allows a citizen to carry a concealed firearm without a permit.
This combination of plenty of guns and few laws regulating them has resulted in a crime rate
that is the third lowest in the nation

"America is at that awkward stage.
It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

This makes sense!
There is no reason why gun owners should have to pay taxes to support police protection for people not wanting to own guns.
Let them contribute their fair share and pay their own way.

I've said frequently that using liberal logic, since statistics show that most criminals (particularly violent criminals) do not have an LTC, everyone in MA who does not have one should be arrested immediately and detained until it can be determined by a court of law that they do not represent a danger to the community... [sad2]

Damn, why not in Mass???

The article is kind of misleading in mentioning the Second Amendment up front. The bill depends on Article 9 of the Vermont state constitution. I really don't see that it needs any reference to the federal constitution at all.

Article 9. [Citizens' rights and duties in the state; bearing arms; taxation]

That every member of society hath a right to be protected in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and therefore is bound to contribute the member's proportion towards the expence of that protection, and yield personal service, when necessary, or an equivalent thereto, but no part of any person's property can be justly taken, or applied to public uses, without the person's own consent, or that of the Representative Body, nor can any person who is conscientiously scrupulous of bearing arms, be justly compelled thereto, if such person will pay such equivalent; nor are the people bound by any law but such as they have in like manner assented to, for their common good: and previous to any law being made to raise a tax, the purpose for which it is to be raised ought to appear evident to the Legislature to be of more service to community than the money would be if not collected.

I remember hearing about this a few months ago. Someone else brought up the point, something to the tune of:

"this is a defacto gun registration plan. Compilation of such a list of people who do not own guns simply leads to another list of people who DO own guns."

In the end, it is best for all of us to NEVER have any sort of list or anyone. If the gubment doesn't know who owns them, then they can't take them.

6.498 million population in MA. Let's say only 25% legal adults, not in jail or somehow disabled. $500 a pop would be over $812 mil. BUDGET FIXED

6.498 million population in MA. Let's say only 25% legal adults, not in jail or somehow disabled. $500 a pop would be over $812 mil. BUDGET FIXED
Not only that - sweeping up everyone without an LTC would undoubtedly catch some bad people... With PC and due process out of the way, houses and records could be searched - so many crimes solved...

This is win-win-win... [rofl]

Just like MIRCs showed "instant results" the West coast news media reported in 2004...

Since Vermont is unlike MA, and doesn't require registration of guns - How would they know who is a gun owner or not? The MA .gov knows all about us, so (in our pipe dreams) when they decide to start charging non-gun owners, they know who has them to skip the charge. I wouldn't work in VT..

This seems like a great idea...but I see it turning into a gun-grabber feeding frenzy. People who have no interest in owning a gun, or learning how to properly handle a gun, buying the cheapest Piece of Crap that they can, just to avoid the $500. They decide to shoot it, screw something up because they don't know no better, hurt themselves, media all over it.

On the flip side, maybe some of those who bought a gun to avoid the tax might get the bug, and me more on our side...

It's heart is in the right place, but I don't see it going anywhere. I wish we could get that sort of thing ever breathed about in the dark shadows of the corners of the government here.

"America is at that awkward stage.
It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."

Beautiful. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom