A note on C&Rs and Massachusetts

SKS Ray

NES Member
I'm posting this here since its milsurp related but any moderators that feel it may be of benefit elsewhere please repost.
I placed an order a while back from a well known company that I have ordered from in the past. Today when I got home at lunch there was a message on my answering machine asking me to fax them copies of my Massachusetts FID card and that this was a requiremnet since I lived in Massachusetts.
Now I know I sent copies of my C&R, Class A LTC, and drivers license to all the companies I could find when I first got my C&R a few years ago. I figured extra info for extra security in getting my order sent. But i've found that some companies require you to send them additional copies if you haven't ordered from them in a while, especially now where 2 companies in the past month have requested my FID card info since I am a Massachusetts resident.
Now I have no problems sending them copies, hell, I think it should be included for good measure along with the C&R copy. But you just know its our good ol' pal Tommy putting heat on these folks thats making them take these extra steps. But, I give the companies that are still dealing with us all the credit for not being bullied into stopping selling to Mass residents.
So... just a note for you frequent or ocasional milsurp buyer. Send out your C&R license copies again along with copies of your Massachusetts LTC. That way if you can't get to a fax machine and want to place an order, your not SOL.

If you have the technology, best to scan these documents in, then overlay "File Copy Only" over them and have them ready to Email when/if requested. ONLY the C&R FFL itself has to be Faxed, other docs can be Emailed as an attachment (pdf or jpg) which isn't easy to alter.

Hopefully you won't run into morons that insist on FID when you want to give them a LTC . . . have this happen all the time at Wal-Mart! NH CCW solves that problem for me when I buy there (NH).

I have only run into 1 company that required a copy of my LTC. I only send out what they require, nothing extra.

Better of the company to ask for it now, than to deal with the wrath of "Commie Tommy" later on!

The companies should be asking for a copy of your license, and it's got nothing to do with our fascist AG. Federal law allows dealers to ship to C&R license holders when the sales complies with the laws of the purchaser's state. Since Massachusetts law doesn't recognizeand federal licenses as an exemption to holding the proper state license, any dealer who sells to a C&R holder without an FID or LTC could be looking for serious trouble from BATFE.

Massachusetts politicians such as Tom Reilly aren't the cause of all the world's problems, just most of them. [wink]

Ken

I know this, back before the AG put heat on companies that sold ammo to us, the only way I was able to order from some of those companies was because I enclosed copies of my LTC and Driver's License. Before the threats of lawsuits, I could order ammo from half a dozen vendors that sent solely because they had my LTC info on file and proof of age. It may not have been perfect, but it was good enough for them at the time.

Back
Top Bottom