A Man's Got to Know His Limitations

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Home alone trying to do a few things during house arrest. In order to get the kid to school last Wednesday, I had to drive myself to the hospital for surgery. My car is still there as I can't drive until next week, so I'm trapped at home. My wife, of course, is using her car to get to work. Hopefully we'll get my car home tomorrow with a friend.

I Did a little organizing and cleaning today, then got the inspiration to install the Orion spring kit into my new CMP 6/44 Springfield. Its amazing how weak you are after surgery. It took all my strength to pull the sear against the hammer plunger in order to set the trigger pin. Took several tries to do it and I was shaking afterwards. But I got it done. Maybe I'll be strong enough to play with it next week, at least off the bench, if I get my freedom.

T

Last edited:
I still stand by my claim of slight accuracy gain with nice fresh springs.
I notice there is also a change in how the rifle sounds
With the old springs it's a rattle cluncky click clack clunk.
With the new springs it just sounds better ?

The new springs seemed a little quieter. Definitely more a subdued 'thud' than a clunk.

The only thing that concerned me last time out at 100 yards was that to hit at 100, the rear sight was at zero clicks. Never seen that before; my other three three were three, seven, and twelve to hit 100. The other FG in the safe is the one that needs three.

Ran my test en-block through to check for fit and function. From the "en-guard" position with my little finger straight, the bolt ripped the first round right off without assistance and cycled perfectly; ejecting six feet with minimal effort.

T

Last edited:
I love the sound of fresh Garand springs in the morning!

All of my Garands have had to come 8-12 clicks up to get a 100 yard zero.. Maybe your front sight post was messed with?

Pulled out my 10/41 SA/FG for comparison. Looks like the front sight on the '44 is lower than the '41 causing the high groups. Lets see if CMP will replace it.

The '41 has the 'humped' post war gas screw.

T

Pulled out my 10/41 SA/FG for comparison. Looks like the front sight on the '44 is lower than the '41 causing the high groups. Lets see if CMP will replace it.

The '41 has the 'humped' post war gas screw.

T

I will bet a donut those sights are not to far off in over all height.
Yes the "blade looks taller....but look closely
Take the front sights off and measure from bottom of dovetail to top of blade see what the difference maybe.

Many match shooters would lower their front sight blade height so the rear elevation could be set lower.... back in the day going out to 600 the rear sight can be pretty high.
Figure on average most M1s will be 5-8 clicks up for 100 yard zero.
So if your going out to 600 your adding another 15ish clicks up so come up 20 plus clicks and watch your sight ...it may Bob left and right as you crank it up or lean off to one side. Now try a nice solid cheek weld with 20 plus clicks up.....
So if you shave the front sight down you can get a 200 yard zero down to 2 clicks and have your rear sight that much lower.

I personally don't mind a low rear sight. Although I would compare sight heights and check stock fit...

Last edited:
Different sized wings, blade thickness, rounded versus flat top, and length of blade.

[wave]

Still, need zero clicks for the top of the black, benched.

T

I will bet a donut those sights are not to far off in over all height.
Yes the "blade looks taller....but look closely
Take the front sights off and measure from bottom of dovetail to top of blade see what the difference maybe.

Many match shooters would lower their front sight blade height so the rear elevation could be set lower.... back in the day going out to 600 the rear sight can be pretty high.
Figure on average most M1s will be 5-8 clicks up for 100 yard zero.
So if your going out to 600 your adding another 15ish clicks up so come up 20 plus clicks and watch your sight ...it may Bob left and right as you crank it up or lean off to one side. Now try a nice solid cheek weld with 20 plus clicks up.....
So if you shave the front sight down you can get a 200 yard zero down to 2 clicks and have your rear sight that much lower.

I personally don't mind a low rear sight. Although I would compare sight heights and check stock fit...

For every .008" difference +/- is roughly 1 moa on the M1.

Different sized wings, blade thickness, rounded versus flat top, and length of blade.

[wave]

Still, need zero clicks for the top of the black, benched.

T

Swap front sights for quick test...
I would say if your point of impact is top of black with a center or 6 o'clock hold there is something "off"

If it's the front sight you would need a taller blade by roughly .045" or so to bring shot group down.

Last edited:
Well, I did have the chicken pox more than 40 years ago...

[rofl]

...I sent an email to CMP cust/serve with the pictures and the problem. Hopefully they'll simply send a taller sight.

T

Last edited:
Larry told me that the front sight was often flied down to achieve zero during rebuild. As to width of the entire sight, he told me that: "the difference in the sights is the width of the sight wings, SA approx. .682 [in]wide, WRA approx.. 805 wide, HRA approx. .695 and IHC approx. .870."

I did like how the wide sight better filled the rear peep.

T

Larry told me that the front sight was often flied down to achieve zero during rebuild. As to width of the entire sight, he told me that: "the difference in the sights is the width of the sight wings, SA approx. .682 [in]wide, WRA approx.. 805 wide, HRA approx. .695 and IHC approx. .870."

I did like how the wide sight better filled the rear peep.

T

I also prefer the wide blade sight picture...
During rebuilds the had a accuracy and targeting test. Guns/Lots not passing would go back through the line to see why.
I could see a unit armorer filing sights but at the arsenal depot they probably just had a selection of sights roughly sorted by height. close enough is good enough for GI

As a side note, M1 Carbine front sights came high from the factory and they were expected to be filed down to achieve 0.

Nope, side note re: the Carbine where it was SOP to file down the front sight height.

Haven't heard of USGI filing down of the Garand front sight. The rear sights have ample adjustability, where the Carbine's originally came with a flip up sight, and later on a 3 position rear sight (as I'm sure you're aware).

However, anything is possible....

Nope, side note re: the Carbine where it was SOP to file down the front sight height.

Haven't heard of USGI filing down of the Garand front sight. The rear sights have ample adjustability, where the Carbine's originally came with a flip up sight, and later on a 3 position rear sight (as I'm sure you're aware).

However, anything is possible....

Correct ..... garand front sights would not be ground down by the arsenal ....would have been done at unit level or for competition.

I have posted before what the arsenal did for accuracy and targeting procedure.

M1s are "targeted" with the elevation sight set 8 clicks up with a +/- of 2 clicks.

Nice.... if you have a way to measure it from the bottom of the sight to top of blade we can compare and see what you should expect to see in change.

Nice.... if you have a way to measure it from the bottom of the sight to top of blade we can compare and see what you should expect to see in change.

The other one is already in the mail box for return. I'll compare to my other sight that needs theee clicks.

T

Took me a little while to find the book.

U.S. Weapons Command Depot Maintenance Work Instructions For
Overhaul Of The Rifle , U.S.Cal..30:M1 June 1965.
( from what I have found from talking to a few M1 garand era armor this has been the way since the beginning)
Section 4.5.7.2
Additional aperture adjustments of +/- 2 two clicks from the 8 click setting is permissible to meet targeting requirements.
The front sight shall not be filed or bent but may be moved as necessary providing it does not over hang the tenon of the gas cylinder except on gas cylinders of early manufacture. These cylinders have a narrow ten on and sight base overhang of 1/32" will be permitted.
At completion of targeting test the front sight screw shall be locked in place and the rear sight elevation knob shall be set to 100 yard graduation mark when elevated 8 clicks up from lowest position.

So close enough for GI. Now once the rifle is in the hands of the shooter it must be zeroed to the shooter.... "this is my rifle" .

The targeting specs are pretty loose.
Distance 1000" inches 3.44" wide 5.11" tall rectangle with a half circle approx in the middle approx 1.25" wide aim at the flat bottom of the half circle. If you get 5 consecutive shots with in that rectangle and those shots are in a 1.77" group your GTG...

Diagnose listed for shooting high
1. Tight fit between stock and hand guard at front band area. Stock forces hand guard and front band up. Replace stock or hand guard
2. Long rear aperture (over all length) replace with short aperture
3. Low front sight , replace front sight
4. Bent barrel , straighten as last resort.

As you found out you can end up with anything from the cmp or any rifle for that matter.
The good thing is there is a boat load of info out there to help.

Over the years with help from guys on the line and forums I have improved the "accuracy " of every M1 I own and a few I help out.

Looking forward to the update.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom