A little help with a .3006 headstamp??

I had thew garand out today and I thought all the ammo I had was Greek hxp, after picking up a few pieces of brass it appears there was something else mixed in ( I purchased a bunch already loaded in en blocs and didn't think to check )

Can anyone give me any info on this stuff??? I'm super paranoid about hurting the bore or gas system...
2011-10-22_22-39-19_376.jpg

When in doubt treat it as corrosive. Clean everything with hot water, then clean with your favorite cleaner. I have heard many times Hoppe's works for corrosive ammo. I don't know if it's true, but I use it anyways so I figure if it does I'm doubly safe. The headstamp looks more like mid-eastern Cyrillic to me.

Can't quite make out the characters, but when in doubt, don't use it in your M-1. Besides the corrosive question is the burning characteristics of the powder - don't want to take a chance hurting the op rod. I would think most military 30-06 would be of the "slower" grade powder and not a concern, but I wouldn't chance it anyway.

I'm pretty certain that's Iranian 30-06 that Samco Global is importing.

Here's a picture of it:

IranianSurplus03.jpg

It's 150gr., Lead core, Non-corrosive, Berdan primed. It's loaded for the M1's the Shah had. I bought about 1K, and I like it because it doesn't attract a magnet, like all my LC and HXP does.

Here's a thread with more pictures and some accuracy results.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=38229

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure what you mean by "actually verified," but Samco specifically lists it in their ad as "non-corrosive Berdan."

http://www.samcoglobal.com/Ammo-30-06.html

I had purchased some 7.62x54r from sportsman's guide that was sold as "non corrosive" that definitely had corrosive primers. I was curious of anyone had actually tested the primer.

After reading a bunch it doesn't seem likely that they are corrosive

Thanks again for posting the link and info!!

I ran some South Korean 30-06 through my M1 that was suppose to be non-corrosive. It was advertised that way. I cleaned the bore and bolt just to be sure but did not take clean the gas chamber. A month or 2 later I pick up the M1 and I cannot pull the bolt back easily. I check it all and find rust in the gas chamber and on the op rod. It cleaned up fine and does not affect appearance or operation. I am just thankful and cleaned what I did and that I did not wait a year to pick it up.

So... since it is foreign, clean your M1 really well and include the gas chamber and op rod.

I ran some South Korean 30-06 through my M1 that was suppose to be non-corrosive. It was advertised that way. I cleaned the bore and bolt just to be sure but did not take clean the gas chamber. A month or 2 later I pick up the M1 and I cannot pull the bolt back easily. I check it all and find rust in the gas chamber and on the op rod. It cleaned up fine and does not affect appearance or operation. I am just thankful and cleaned what I did and that I did not wait a year to pick it up.

So... since it is foreign, clean your M1 really well and include the gas chamber and op rod.

This!

I had the same thing happen to me using Korean 30-06 advertised as non. Turned out the add didn't state that the primers were corrosive. I caught in time after seeing a hint of orange on my muzzle a week later after shooting it.

While Samco is usually spot on regarding their products, they're a**h***s when it comes to business dealings. I'd still clean accordingly as if it were corrosive. Certainly doesn't hurt.

DRB,

I've shot a bunch of the Iranian 30-06 and it was great. I'm a bit on the paranoid side with my Garands/Carbines so I treated it as corrosive and cleaned accordingly.

Ash

Back
Top Bottom